Thread: Internal ND Turret for DSMC2 - KipperTie Revolva

Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526
    Quote Originally Posted by wes kane View Post
    You're welcome.

No issues with dust entering the system. I change lenses regularly on shoots (indoor and outdoor). I leave the ND-A filter set in the camera since it has a clear (CLR) option on the dial. The ND-B set is a bit too strong for my liking, only, because it creates too much depth of field for my run and gun scenarios. The filters on the ND-B set work just as well as the ND-A set, of course they are stronger ND intensity. Just my preference.
    What would be nice if there was a way to see what ND setting you were on in the camera. Something like that on the Canon Cinema cameras, those were the cameras I used prior to the Gemini. With the Revolva you have to physically look at the cartridge reel on the side to know what filter is set. When I'm handheld or shoulder mount I usually have to reposition the camera to see what ND is set. It's a minor inconvenience, but not a deal breaker. I would purchase Revolva, if I end up with another RED.
    I just tried the WC Tool-less adapter and it doesn't work with my DSMC2 7" monitor. Monitor when attached to the WC Tool-less adapter, nothing shows up on the screen. Wonder why yours works and mine doesn't? Good news is that Kippertie will take back my Revolva and give me a full refund besides the shipping cost back to them. Too much rigging I think and just don't trust WC products as this WC Tool-less adapter shows it doesn't work.
    Red Epic W Owner.

Just wanted to update another finding. I have the Red DSMC2 EVF Kit and when mounting the EVF view finder on the side, it will not work with the revolva on it. The revolva dial sticks out enough where it interferes with the EVF mounting on the side. Any solution for this? I don't want to use an arm and lemo cable.
    Red Epic W Owner.

That’s very disappointing. It recommends the tool-less adaptor on the kippertie website, however I spoke with a tech at WC last week and he told me that the adaptor was just for the 4.7in. I’m not sure what my other options are especially since I’ve been reading about all of the issues with the WC top plate. My revolva arrived defective so I have to send it back anyway. I’m just hoping I can figure out a practical solution to use it on my camera without spending hundreds of dollars more.

Quote Originally Posted by John Dempsey View Post
    Thatís very disappointing. It recommends the tool-less adaptor on the kippertie website, however I spoke with a tech at WC last week and he told me that the adaptor was just for the 4.7in. Iím not sure what my other options are especially since Iíve been reading about all of the issues with the WC top plate. My revolva arrived defective so I have to send it back anyway. Iím just hoping I can figure out a practical solution to use it on my camera without spending hundreds of dollars more.
    I just ordered the WC tooless adaptor and will try it out and report back. I was told itís a straight pass through. If it doesnít work then I am returning the Revolva. The WC Revolva top plate works great but an extra $350 of rigging I wasnít expenting to pay. So I would say I am paying near $500 more to make the Revolva work and not to mention the extra weight of the add ons. On a side note when mounting lenses on the EF Revolva model itís a bit cumbersome. Itís not like the typical EF mount where you turn and lock. You hold the lens in place and then have to turn the collar to lock it down. Just donít let the lens go during this time and when taking it off, turning the collar is a bit of a challenge. The Revolva is a cool innovative product but I think my biggest concern besides what has been mentioned is the Revolva is not dust proof. It allows dust to enter through the dial. I just havenít been able to really use it. I have been getting more lens flare due to the additional layer of film light has to go through as it appears.
    Red Epic W Owner.