Thread: Need audio advice.

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Need audio advice. 
    I am a little new to Red but I am coming from a DSLR background. I have Sennheiser wireless Lav Ew100 system and when I plug in the receiver to the Red Epic w microphone jack input, I don't seem to get great sound out of it.

What are your recommendations on what I should do if I want to use the wireless Lavs? Any thoughts or direction much appreciated for this newbie.
    Red Monstro 8K VV | Red Gemini 5K | Kippertie Revolva

Most likely, the line-level output of the Sennheiser is overloading the mike preamp. Either get a physical -30dB pad to knock it down (like the pads made by Shure), or find a way to turn the receiver output way, way down.

I routinely fed a Lectro SRb into Red cameras when I was doing sound, and this receiver would allow dropping the line output down to essentially mic level. Sounded absolutely fine, but I did have to turn it almost completely down.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    Most likely, the line-level output of the Sennheiser is overloading the mike preamp. Either get a physical -30dB pad to knock it down (like the pads made by Shure), or find a way to turn the receiver output way, way down.

I routinely fed a Lectro SRb into Red cameras when I was doing sound, and this receiver would allow dropping the line output down to essentially mic level. Sounded absolutely fine, but I did have to turn it almost completely down.

I think my transmitter is at -30dB and my receiver is at -18dB. My problem is the sound is low on the video recording. I have the mic level on the Red almost all the way up. So what you are saying is lowering the output on the receiver going into the red? Mine is a DSMC2 which I hear have this issue?

I would love to be able to tell you that though different, my problem was the same. That is, using on board mics in either the RAVEN or WEAPON CF, I found the sound level was low when opened in post even though I jacked up the levels in-camera.

But then when I boosted the levels in post, the sound came across as clean and sufficiently loud.

Hope this would have helped. '-)
    One camera is a shoot...but four (or more'-) Hydrogens is a prohhhh-duction... Elsie the Wraith

Do it dual system with TC
    http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/ (Sound Recordist based in Auckland, NZ. Happy to travel too)
    https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

Change the "sensitivity" to something closer to -20dB or -10dB and then bring down the preamp on the RED.

Your setup is not really suitable for high end audio but it'll do in a pinch or as a scratch track. I frequently use the Ew100 system as a wireless hop from my mixer to the camera to have a scratch track for the editor to sync to.

Good luck!

- Jan
    ---------------------------------
    Director/DP
    DSMC2 Gemini "Amy"
    Cable Cam
    MŌVI M10 & PRO
    BlackArm
    ALTA 6

www.83west.xyz
    https://vimeo.com/user486354

I have the same mic setup and I've never been able to get this guy to sound very good directly jammed into the RED. I've always, had the pre amps the lowest they could go, and it still seems to distort and be way to powerful. With that being said, I don't jam audio directly into my RED all that much via A Box unless it's a shot gun mic. If I'm trying to get decent audio, I try to mount a Tascam DR - 40 to my swiss plate/shoulder mount and go into those channels. I also, would love to figure out a way to jam timecode with both of these devices, as I've been doing front/back claps and recording in camera audio as well - If your shooting pro res, you can use something like Pluraleyes to sync the two, but shooting interviews via R3D - I believe Pluraleyes doesn't have the ability to sync. Lately, we've been hiring audio guys to jam our cameras/audio via timecode and let them monitor it.. We all start to get to that point, were it get's a little to tough to do everything..
    Joshua VP Filming and Editing LLC.
    joshuavp.com

RED EPIC WEAPON -- PDX || MSP

This is why think Red is a bit crazy. I own two Canon C200s and don't have to worry about these issues. With Red, I have to jerry rig stuff to make it work if I can figure out that piece or pay silly gobs of money. Just nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by David Peterson View Post
    Do it dual system with TC
    best way to go, dont struggle with anything else!
    Cameras are RED HMIS are Blue, I love my SCARLET and my REDONE MX too.

I don't know why no one else hasn't mentioned this yet, but pre-conditioning audio before feeding it into the Red works well.

I use a Sound Devices Mix-Pre-D as it has high quality pre-amps and analog limiter. ENG100 and/or shotgun to Mix-PreD to RED.

Another option I'm seriously looking at is the OMOD XLR2 https://offhollywoodny.com/products/...eid=fd8ea3d2b9
    Last edited by Blair Thornton; 02-06-2018 at 09:35 AM.