Thread: Red Epic-W 8K + Leica R lenses | Kyndal - "Famous" Music Video

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Red Epic-W 8K + Leica R lenses | Kyndal - "Famous" Music Video 
    Hey Guys! Here's my second music video of all time. Shot on my Epic-W with Leica R's. Really happy with how it turned out given that we shot almost everything in one day for $3500. The artist is super new and young, and I tried to make her cliche, quotidian song interesting with a visual twist. Let me know your thoughts!

Looks great! Felt clean and not overly so. Good color and lighting. I do have a few questions.

1. Which Leica lenses did you use? More specifically the focal length/f stop. I've been lusting after them for a while and may start with a small set, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to go crons or luxes.
    2. Were you involved in post? Was there sharpening applied in post? If so, I'm curious to this process.
    3. Did you shoot in 8k and downres? If so, what was your method of doing that? I've heard mixed feedback on this, but I enjoyed the overall look of your video and thought you might have some insight.

Great work and keep it up!
    Cinematographer/Editor/Writer

CinePros | Arterial Pictures
    RED Monstro CF "Baymax+"
    Blackmagic Pocket 4K
    Tokina Vista Primes
    Leica R

Quote Originally Posted by RJ_Ortiz View Post
    Looks great! Felt clean and not overly so. Good color and lighting. I do have a few questions.

1. Which Leica lenses did you use? More specifically the focal length/f stop. I've been lusting after them for a while and may start with a small set, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to go crons or luxes.
    2. Were you involved in post? Was there sharpening applied in post? If so, I'm curious to this process.
    3. Did you shoot in 8k and downres? If so, what was your method of doing that? I've heard mixed feedback on this, but I enjoyed the overall look of your video and thought you might have some insight.

Great work and keep it up!
    Hey RJ, here are a few answers to your questions:

1. Our set included the 19mm 2.8 V1, 24mm 2.8, 35mm 2.0, 50mm 2.0, 90mm 2.0. Most of the video was shot on the 35 and 50, with some stuff on the 24. I haven't ever used lux's, but I really love the crons. They are a bit soft so don't expect to get too much mileage if you're cropping beyond 5K, but there aren't many lenses that will give you that anyway.

2. I edited the whole thing, and my DP and I colored it. We did not apply any sharpening. I am not familiar with that process either, but if you find out more, let me know!

3. We shot 8K as much as we could, but a lot of it was varispeed--we shot 6K for that, typically at 40fps. I shot 2K 4444 simultaneously, and I did most of the editing in that. Honestly if I wasn't going for resolution, I could have finished in that, but I wanted a 4K master. So, I onlined the raw files and made it a 6K timeline, exported an XML to DaVinci Lite, and did all the coloring in 4K on that. Rountripped back to Premiere for some final FX and exported a 4K master.

That workflow worked really well. Pushing around 8K/6K files can be really taxing on your system, but if you get the edit pretty much locked with proxies then it's not a big deal.

Thanks for the kind words, and let me know if you need any clarification!

Hey Kenneth,

Amazing music video! Very Sharp indeed.

Could you let me know if you rememebr which color gamma did you use on the EPICW or did you shoot this in IPP2?

I have yet to roundtrip from Premiere to resolve and back to premiere... is it as easy as you say?

Great music video and single! Visuals fit the song perfectly.
    You don't have to see something to believe in it, but you have to believe in something to see it.

Really enjoyed watching this music video. Those lenses gave a very crisp image indeed!
    Cinematographer, London
    Scarlet-W

www.joshbirchfilms.com
    Reel: https://vimeo.com/290364493

Really nice music videos! good works!
    I was assuming that you were the DOP but then read that you directed, very good concept and execution and I liked the lighting by your dop. As always, the location itself, dressing and makeup played a big role in the overall look of the piece.

Having said that, you do see the look of the Leica R, what I love about those lenses is that they are the closest thing to Primos that I've seen on a budget.
    Do you own this set? are they Cinevised? My only gripe on those cinevised is that they are very small lenses and sometimes its hard o reach them with a follow focus and mattebox, on your music video it seems like the are not to many focus pulls, but on a scripted drama when you have a lot of focus pulls it could be more tricky to use them for say 20 days straight...wonder what your thoughts? Will be nice to get your DOP thoughts as well(and his name)...
    Oron Cohen
    Scarlet-W
    www.oroncohen.com

Lovely video! I find my Rs and Helium to be a great match together!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Oron Cohen View Post
    My only gripe on those cinevised is that they are very small lenses and sometimes its hard o reach them with a follow focus and mattebox, on your music video it seems like the are not to many focus pulls, but on a scripted drama when you have a lot of focus pulls it could be more tricky to use them for say 20 days straight...wonder what your thoughts? Will be nice to get your DOP thoughts as well(and his name)...
    I had a set of cinevised Rs before I had them fully rehoused, I didn't have much of an issue using them with a mattebox (since I put 80mm fronts). The problem was with both a mattebox and follow foucs for most if not all the wide angle lenses. I think it mostly was problematic with the follow focus I had a the time though. That was one of the reasons I had them fully rehoused for cine work-now no issues :)
    Red Weapon Helium
    GL Optics Leica R
    Nikkor
    Looking forward to finally using my Hydrogen with whatever Komodo is...
    PresidentialFilmPhoto.com
    Cinematography & Fashion/Glamour Photography

Looks great and liked the storyline as well. Good job.
    Epic W
    Brian Pascale

looks amazing! And those skin tones? Alexa who? Great job man.
    Sérgio Perez

Weapon Monstro #03294 "Amochai" in Macau

Video Director/Creative/Producer

http://vimeo.com/user1503556

https://www.youtube.com/user/spzprod..._as=subscriber