Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Update soon...

Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Would anyone want a delay if it meant a newer chip without the spectre bug?

Spectre bug Alan?

I would be interested if they delayed it to put in a 4 cameras plus 3D capability inbuilt for the same price. But it's probably too late. I suspect Apple to have their 4 lens inbuilt iPhone out this year or next.
    An explorer explores new ideas and things, but somebody stuck in mud, complains.
    - But the explorer complains about how much better the territory he has discovered is instead.

-Since when has denying that the possible is possible been reason? Such is the life of some skepticism.
    -Normalcy involves what is realistically possible, not just what you say.

I suppose it would be impractical to just make the phone unable to work with Java at all? Assuming my understanding is correct and the exploit only is an issue with certain kinds of java which is or soon will be totally unnecessary.

Quote Originally Posted by James Cohen View Post
    I suppose it would be impractical to just make the phone unable to work with Java at all? Assuming my understanding is correct and the exploit only is an issue with certain kinds of java which is or soon will be totally unnecessary.
    The bug relates to a very clever side channel attack based on how almost every modern processor uses speculation to enhance peformance. It really has nothing to do with Java, and in any case Android is based on Java anyway...

Would it be worth waiting for a new chip? No... the performance impact is for most tasks quite small.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Rakesh Malik
    Director of Photography
    http://WhiteCranePhotography.com
    http://WinterLight.studio

Interesting posts in this thread lately. Thanks for the pics. Anyone watching the Dubai 24H race? Lots of crashes!

Every time there's an update to this thread.... i think it's Jim ... :/

Oh no, Elias come back.

It's not Jim. :)

How read ussually works here, is they will likely make a new thread for their next announcement and not post about it here. So the recon forum is the one to watch, as people may not even post a link to a new thread.
    An explorer explores new ideas and things, but somebody stuck in mud, complains.
    - But the explorer complains about how much better the territory he has discovered is instead.

-Since when has denying that the possible is possible been reason? Such is the life of some skepticism.

... you got me ...

Yea, i know . But, on the off chance that it's not an update and more of a comment, he's been known to pop in and append something to these posts

What they need is to have top posts for the original poster and guests (like moderators). So, like sticky threads in the forum view, Jim can add sticky posts that show up at the top of the thread, as well as in the thread when they happen, with a link to their position in the thread, so people can click on the link to go to that part of the discussion. Now new and old users can come along, see the major announcements in one place, and go straight to the place where each starts to be discussed. The title of the thread could be changeable too, so you say Hydrogen, then Hydrogen update 1 then 2 and Hydrogen It's here. All with the post date in the itle, and the original title underneath/ontop (Then you can shorten it to just say update 1, update 2 etc). This is all done automatically when the original poster presses new top post button instead of new post, and fills in the form exactly like normal. A very, very convenient way to do it. It also means that ordinary thread starters can quickly summarise what has been said, and updates, at the start of the thread. The email out will make seperate emails for top posts and updates to them. This solves a heap of issues. Actually, you could have separate for each "team" member posts, so people can quickly identify in email if somebody significant has posted.

Web forums are long overdue for an overhaul. I've identified many possible improvements over the years. A company like Red could make a product line that.

I noticed you have a Raven, what I really need is something like a Sparrow.