Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Vertical line on DSMC2 bodies with FW 7+

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Vertical line on DSMC2 bodies with FW 7+ 
    UPDATE: Firmware bug. Fix is incoming.
    Hello Refah,

Our team has found the cause of the issue. It is essentially a squeezing issue on the monitor. They are hard at work on a fix. I don't know when that fix will happen but we will put it in a future firmware update.

Thank you for reporting this and your patience. At this time I will be closing this ticket. If anything else comes up, don't hesitate to reach us at support.RED.com.

Best,
    Alex | Product Support

Hi all,
    I noticed a strange playback glitch while prepping a Monstro. Red-coloured objects show a vertical line right down the middle of the monitor. The line runs the whole height of the monitor, top to bottom, but is most clearly visible when something red is in the frame. This line is only there when playing back from the mag, but it isn't visible in live view, in the R3D after offload, or when playing prores proxies. I tried several mags (formatted fat32 and UDF) and both Helium and Monstro cameras, and this issue seems to affect playback on any DSMC2 body with a 7+ firmware.

The line is visible on both the touchscreen and external monitors, and it doesn't matter if I use legacy or IPP2, nor does it matter what resolution, white balance, compression level, or frame rate. It also shows up if you play back Helium footage on a Monstro or vice versa.

I used my phone to take some pictures, but it's a little tricky to see the line in all the moire even though it's very obvious in person. The photo with the white crosshairs is a Helium with FW 6.3.105 that shows no line, while the photo with the yellow crosshairs is the same footage in a Monstro with fw 7.0.1 that has the line.

Can anyone replicate?

- Refah
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Refah Mahmoud; 02-27-2018 at 01:26 PM. Reason: update

I've seen some line issues like this with "Focus Assist" turned on. By chance do you have that turned on? Otherwise, upon import are you still noticing the line?
    Joshua VP Filming and Editing LLC.
    joshuavp.com

RED EPIC WEAPON -- PDX || MSP

Hi Joshua,
    Focus assist has no affect -- the line appears no matter what the HDMI output is set to, both "clean" and "processed" modes. It is also visible on the touchscreen.

The line is not present on import, nor any time except when playing back R3D footage from the camera.

Yeah I have this as well on my 7 inch monitor/Raven mix. I'll do more testing around recording, I think I have also only noticed it in playback.

So perhaps it is only a firmware fixing issue? Has there been any further word about this?

Yes, focus assist does make it stand out more, but it is there all the time. I just chalked it up to a camera quirk or something.
    It isn't showing up on the files.

Have you contacted RED about it Refah?

Thanks for confirming, Simon.

I have an open ticket with Red support, yes. No further word yet.
    Last edited by Refah Mahmoud; 01-11-2018 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Refah Mahmoud View Post
    Thanks for confirming, Simon.

I have an open ticket with Red support, yes. No further word yet.
    Yeah it's tough, I wouldn't be surprised if it is just a firmware bug if others are getting the exact same result.

Half of me thinks it isn't a major issue, but then again these things are not cheap at all!!

I couldn't tell you the source of the bug, but the line isn't present in FW older than 7. I made a post to confirm that it wasn't just me seeing the issue.

The line isn't in the actual footage, so I am still shooting with confidence.

Update today from RED:
    Hello Refah,

Our team has found the cause of the issue. It is essentially a squeezing issue on the monitor. They are hard at work on a fix. I don't know when that fix will happen but we will put it in a future firmware update.

Thank you for reporting this and your patience. At this time I will be closing this ticket. If anything else comes up, don't hesitate to reach us at support.RED.com.

Best,
    Alex | Product Support

Quote Originally Posted by Refah Mahmoud View Post
    Update today from RED:
    Thanks Refah for sharing the information!

I am happy it's just a firmware issue hey!

Good to hear they found it, would have been nice to announce it somewhere as I had the same talk with RED but I was not always able to reproduce it. So it was a little harder to track down.
    Epic-W #7032
    vimeo.com/ydn/videos
    www.anotherview.watch