Thread: LG 4K PROJECTOR

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Fixed optical design and restrictive screen sizing abilities / input options... So not ideal for a lot of installations, yet it’s a compelling product.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

This projector looks like it's after the consumers don't own TVs anymore and just use their laptops. The fact that you can project it on your ceiling, is great for the person that watches movies on their bed. The fact it has a handle, LG expects you move this projector around the house.

I imagine the price is going to cost around $2000 to $2500. Xiaomi has a great new laser projector at around $1750. Only 1080p output, but brighter than the LG, and it's not a short throw.
    www.rogersingh.com
    cinematographer • producer

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe View Post
    Fixed optical design and restrictive screen sizing abilities / input options... So not ideal for a lot of installations, yet it’s a compelling product.
    How to position few thousand of highly sensitive bucks within kicking range.
    Hope it comes with kids/klutz/pets/happy feet/beverage protection.

I'm waiting for the next version housed in Gorila Glass so it's tougher than normal glass.
    http://i68.tinypic.com/drcb4y.jpg

Analog > Camera feel optimization http://omeneo.com
    Digital > Camera performance optimization http://omeneo.com/primers

imdb

"Como delfines en el fondo del oceano
    volamos por el universo incentivados por la esperanza"

"L'esperanza", Sven Väth
    "It's a poor sort of memory that only works backwards"
    Jung/ Carol

Even Dell is shitting out a $6K USTP this year and getting into "digital cinema" stuff for the home. What weird times we live in!

So much for LG's perfect blacks. There won't be a real black in any room with that bright-light projector. . . ever! Today's OLED screens are simply amazing.
    Scarlet Dragon with Canon, Sigma, and Tokina lenses and the Optitron 2 wireless system
    First feature film, Works in Progress, out on DVD (Vanguard Cinema) and online.
    Second feature film, Terminal, scheduled for a fall 2018 release.
    Third feature film, The Tree, currently available at www.thetreemotionpicture.com.
    Fourth feature film, The Land, currently in post-production.

I was looking for a ultra short throw and was eying up the Epson, it's a laser projector. What put me off (without being able to try or see) is that they are very susceptible to the flatness of the projection screen or wall - they distort very easily. What is interesting about this LG one is the compact size, meaning the possibility of a small high quality projector.

cheers
    Paul

Hang it upside down from the ceiling.
    An explorer explores new ideas and things, but somebody stuck in mud, complains.
    - But the explorer complains about how much better the territory he has discovered is instead.

-Since when has denying that the possible is possible been reason? Such is the life of some skepticism.
    -Normalcy involves what is realistically possible, not just what you say.

Not a true 4K projector. It mimics 4K with pixel shifting. Not bad but there are true 4K projectors for less money like the UHD60
    Jeff McCoy
    1st AC & drone pilot
    2x Monstros, Alexa Mini, Leica Summilux-C set, Angénieux & Fujinon zooms, Prestons, Teradek Bolt kits, Sony OLED monitors, O’Connor heads, drones, 4x4 sprinter vans & lots more.
    Web: www.industrialdigital.tv
    Instagram: @Industrial_Digital

Yeah it’s pretty crappy now that all the specs are known and people have been able to buy them. Like Roger Singh pointed out months ago, this is aimed at people who own laptops or tablets, don’t have a big screen TV. They can move it about their house/apartment and project onto walls or hang a drop down screen somewhere and pull this projector out when they want to use it or mount it from the ceiling or behind on a bookshelf. It doesn’t have to sit on the floor like most of the ads show, and the output mirror setup lets it stand upright or lie horizontally (for mounting or on a shelf). They’re pixel shifted, so not true 4K, similar to what JVC does with their “4K” projectors. Not going to say this is a bad product, but it has it’s niche.

Projectors are becoming less desirable. People’s walls are only so big and LCD screens just keep getting bigger and cheaper. 85” 4K can now be had for under $2300 at places like Costco or Sam’s Club. We’re talking brands like Huawei, Sceptre, Hisense and the like, but some of those are getting pretty good and more than get the job done for general use. We’re still looking at $4K~$5K for a top of the line 85” 4K, but this is where we have to start questioning how big the projection screen is going to be. IMO, if you’re not looking for at least 100” of screen and you don’t need it to move about as in you’ll wall mount it and leave it, then there’s no point in considering a projector.

The Hisense Laser TV, which is actually their short-throw laser projector, is a compelling product. Pretty good image quality and works well. Comes with a 100” screen in the box ready to go and it seems the unit can accommodate screens up to 128” with only a small adjustment and they will offer a 125” screen option soon. We installed one of these to replace a 75” 1080p in an open work area for a client and they love it. I was a bit skeptical at first, but it’s a great fit for certain installations. It’s using TI’s true 3840x2160 DLP engine with no pixel shifting or wobulation and driven by a 3000 lumen laser rated at 20,000+ hours. Pricey for the Hisense brand (currently $9K at Amazon) but they did good here. Has integrated Harmon Kardon speakers with wireless subwoofer, and the sound is on par with most reasonably decent sound bar/sub combos. Not what I’d want from a 100” home theatre, I’d definitely build a nicer surround system around this, but for integrated sound it’s better than most.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.