Thread: Carnet Rant.... c'mon lets hear your story....!

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Had a Carnet. Going to to Qatar. We get there, and customs looks at our Carnet and says, "Oh, you can't bring cameras into the country." So the line producer spends the next day, all day, dealing with the Qatar ministry of information people, and the deal is, we can take the cameras into the country if we don't shoot out side of our hotel. So we flew 7k miles to shoot interviews at an airport hotel. They stamped our Carnet great though.

Nick

What's even worse than having carnet issues? Dealing with countries that aren't carnet countries. I had a shoot though several south american countries, none of which were carnet countries...For the most part, we were still able to present the carnet and get through without issue, that was until, we ended up in Argentina.
    If you ever have a shoot in Argentina, and have to bring gear...just don't.
    It's not going to happen without months of preparation and paperwork, which time did not exist for the shoot we were doing.
    Basically all of my gear, around $100K worth was held at the airport for the 4 days that we were in the country, with only a little slip of paper with a hand written note as a receipt.
    We were able to rent gear locally for the shoot, and eventually I was able to get my gear upon leaving the country...but not without more hassle.
    If anything, I learned that my Spanish was still pretty good for being able to argue with the customs agent at 1AM when I first entered the country.
    Director of Photography/VFX -Scherperel Cine LLC
    http://www.stefandp.com.com

Some countries need a carnet and some need a governemental autorisation to shoot (like culture department) or/and film crew Visa and some need it all.

There are many reason to have problems in a border.

Pat

PS: the last carnet I used was stolen with a big batch of the equipment. THIS is really fun to sort out at the border! ;-)

I once had a shoot in Dalian China and then Vietnam. Ended up taking a live switcher panel and cameras through. used the Carnet through China as is the hassle. The US guys checked EVERY SINGLE serial number on it. Every one!

China, filled out the wrong form. Blue, not yellow, or whatever it is they are supposed to do. Left, without issue. Got to Vietnam. They were not a signatory country so I just tried to go on it. Unfortunately, they X-rayed every bag. Got pulled over. I pulled out the Carnet, and explained to the Customs agent what it was and how it worked. He turns to me and says this is the best thing I have ever seen. This would make my life so much easier if we used it. Go on in!

Then an hour or so hassle of explaining to the US guy why China filled out the wrong form.

It's stupid, but yet a good thing at the same time.
    http://www.radiumcamera.com
    http://www.cinetechshow.com

SILICON VALLEY Rental house
    Red Epic-W 8k Helium - Red Epic-x Dragon 6K - Scarlet-W 5K - Ursa Mini Pro - FS7 - A7S
    Zeiss CP.2 Kit- GL Optics 18-35mm T2 300 degree version - Cooke 18-100 T3

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Scherperel View Post
    What's even worse than having carnet issues? Dealing with countries that aren't carnet countries. I had a shoot though several south american countries, none of which were carnet countries...For the most part, we were still able to present the carnet and get through without issue, that was until, we ended up in Argentina.
    If you ever have a shoot in Argentina, and have to bring gear...just don't.
    It's not going to happen without months of preparation and paperwork, which time did not exist for the shoot we were doing.
    Basically all of my gear, around $100K worth was held at the airport for the 4 days that we were in the country, with only a little slip of paper with a hand written note as a receipt.
    We were able to rent gear locally for the shoot, and eventually I was able to get my gear upon leaving the country...but not without more hassle.
    If anything, I learned that my Spanish was still pretty good for being able to argue with the customs agent at 1AM when I first entered the country.
    Brazil is very bad also.
    Camera Rentals
    Washington DC, Baltimore, Mid Atlantic region
    MONSTRO Vista Vision, CF Weapon, Helium, Dragon Monochrome, Arri Mini, XT and Amira
    Master Prime's, Summicron's, Cooke S4i, Panchros, Ultra's, Sigma's
    Anamorphics- Cooke, Kowa, Lomo squares and CinEvision
    www.Dc-camera.com
    Facebook page for updates