Thread: FCPX 10.4, Stabilization No Longer Works on 8K

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Dishler View Post
    Another option is to change the project to 4k, then you can stabilize the optimized media directly. I don't think FCP fully supports above 6k. This I believe is why the image can be stabilized with either the smaller proxy, or with a 4k representation in the project.

Another issue is that when R3D's are imported into FCP 10.4 the metadata is changed from WideGamutRGB/Log3G10 to the gamma BT.1886 and in order to get close to the look of the same clip on RedCine-X one needs to change the gamma back to log and then input the correct LUT such as the Log to Rec709 medium contrast/medium size in FCP in the Camera LUT input field. Interestingly, if there was a custom LUT applied such as PhilmColor it does transfer through to the footage. This is by clip, so if you import only the R3D's it can be avoided, otherwise there is no way to get rid of the creative LUT in FCP, but can be added per clip within FCP after import. Even with doing this correctly, it is not an exact match to the RedCine-X version. I have opened a ticket with Red support and they have acknowledged there is an issue with the implementation.

My source material is 8K HD, but my timeline is 1080p, though supposedly, 10.4 FCPX does support an 8K timeline. (never sure why anyone wants to edit above HD unless you have a 4K monitor and want to see your image processing in 4K) So, if I need a 4K output, I just change it to 4K when I export. I am glad you opened a ticket with RED support to fix IPP2 issues.
    Forged CF Helium 8K 00107
    Scarlet X 02249 (The Gateway Drug)
    Fujinon Cabrio 19-90 Version 2
    RED Pro Zooms and Primes
    Director/DP at https://www.butcherbox.com

Living life by the ocean.

it is not the timeline, try clicking on the project then settings, change it to 4k?
    EPIC-W 1402
    EPIC-W 6423

Change it from 1080? Ok, will try that but not sure why going up in timeline resolution would fix the problem, however all up for trying everything at this point.
    Forged CF Helium 8K 00107
    Scarlet X 02249 (The Gateway Drug)
    Fujinon Cabrio 19-90 Version 2
    RED Pro Zooms and Primes
    Director/DP at https://www.butcherbox.com

Living life by the ocean.