Thread: PRORES RECORDING

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 PRORES RECORDING 
    Hi,

I’m going to shoot a feature with a Red Weapon Helium. Maybe in ProRes 4444 2k. In order to get less datas. Indie production !
    I will record IPP2 files with Primary Only (RWG / Log3G10).
    Output color space : Rec 709
    Output Tone Map : Medium Contrast
    Roll-off : Medium

I apply the following lut with DaVini Resolve 14 : RWG_Log3G10 to REC709_GAMMA22 with MEDIUM_CONTRAST and ROLLOFF_3 size_33 v1.1.cube
    When i apply a different lut named RWG_Log3G10 to REC709_GAMMA22 with MEDIUM_CONTRAST and ROLLOFF_1 size_33 v1.1.cube , there are many banding effects on the image, due to RollOff’s choice. Is it normal ?

Has anyone already shot with this set up ?
    I hesitate with 7k redraw 12:1 files...

Please forgive my english…

R.

Storage space is so cheap nowadays.
    Say you're shooting 15:1 ratio for a 90min feature (so you have plenty of takes from each shot), 90minx15=1350min. You can shoot 7K HD 8:1 and just get 2 12TB drive (1 is a backup) for around $1500. (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...hoCc0cQAvD_BwE )
    Even for a low budget film it should be doable, and you as a DOP should push for it as it will give you more options in post, don't you think?
    Oron Cohen
    Scarlet-W
    www.oroncohen.com

Senior Member Jens Jakob Thorsen's Avatar
    Shoot R3D
    Jens Jakob Thorsen DFF
    Director of photography
    Denmark
    www.jensjakob.com
    mail@jensjakob.com
    Monstro VV

Quote Originally Posted by Oron Cohen View Post
    Storage space is so cheap nowadays.
    Say you're shooting 15:1 ratio for a 90min feature (so you have plenty of takes from each shot), 90minx15=1350min. You can shoot 7K HD 8:1 and just get 2 12TB drive (1 is a backup) for around $1500. (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...hoCc0cQAvD_BwE )
    Even for a low budget film it should be doable, and you as a DOP should push for it as it will give you more options in post, don't you think?
    Unfortunately on some low budget productions the editors like to get creative with all that resolution, without including the DP.
    www.kylestryker.com
    Local 600 Camera Operator
    Epic-X Dragon #05367

I agree: absolutely shoot R3D files, and then for editing, transcode to HD files for editing. At the end of the process, bring the original R3D camera files into your color/conform software and relink to those for the final delivery.

Definitely don't shoot in 2K, even if you have a 2K or HD release. Shoot at a reasonable resolution like 6K. Do a test first to make sure the files will work well through the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Stryker View Post
    Unfortunately on some low budget productions the editors like to get creative with all that resolution, without including the DP.
    I can think of some fairly high-budget productions where the framing is changed on many shots as well. On the shows I've worked on, the DP is invited to the sessions and generally has seen the edit so they're aware of how and why the composition has been changed. I think I've worked on at least 100 films in the last 5 years, and all of them have had some reframing as part of final color -- some with drastic changes, some only minor, some steadying (to compensate for a shaky shot), sometimes an actual dynamic push in, sometimes just a very minor crop. And stuff also sometimes gets flipped and flopped, and speed changes happen all the time, too.
    marc wielage, csi • colorist/post consultant • daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

The benefits of shooting raw are worth their weight in gold. Once you get into the coloring stage you will realize just how important the raw data is. Always shoot at the highest resolution with the lowest possible compression and downsample to whatever final deliverable, hard drive space is not a major factor these days.

Senior Member Jens Jakob Thorsen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Stryker View Post
    That happens on very high end shows too.
    Jens Jakob Thorsen DFF
    Director of photography
    Denmark
    www.jensjakob.com
    mail@jensjakob.com
    Monstro VV

Quote Originally Posted by raphael vdb View Post
    Hi,

I’m going to shoot a feature with a Red Weapon Helium. Maybe in ProRes 4444 2k. In order to get less datas. Indie production !
    I will record IPP2 files with Primary Only (RWG / Log3G10).
    Output color space : Rec 709
    Output Tone Map : Medium Contrast
    Roll-off : Medium

I apply the following lut with DaVini Resolve 14 : RWG_Log3G10 to REC709_GAMMA22 with MEDIUM_CONTRAST and ROLLOFF_3 size_33 v1.1.cube
    When i apply a different lut named RWG_Log3G10 to REC709_GAMMA22 with MEDIUM_CONTRAST and ROLLOFF_1 size_33 v1.1.cube , there are many banding effects on the image, due to RollOff’s choice. Is it normal ?

Has anyone already shot with this set up ?
    I hesitate with 7k redraw 12:1 files...

Please forgive my english…

R.
    Setting the "3D Lookup table interpolationl" to "Tetrahedral" helps usually.

Many thanks guys.

I will definitely shoot on 7k raw ; it's so better !

Break a leg!