Thread: Brand new Redvolt V, won’t charge, won’t power up.

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Brand new Redvolt V, won’t charge, won’t power up. 
    Bought a brand new Redvolt V, put it on a charger for days, no dice. Finally got it to charge. Put it on the camera and the lights went from flashing three bars to every other bar.

Its non essential to the shoot but super disappointing. Anyone?

Hmm,

Bought 6 of these batteries.
    1 did not want to take charge straight from the factory.

I tested several times, rebooting the charger and all other kind of charging tricks. No dice.

Then as is did not work and I really needed all 6 for the comming shoot, I took a chance and actually put it on a a Vlock plate and cross wired it with another Vlock so basically the current was rushing from the other Vlock into this new little faulty one. Held it there for like 30 seconds then tested it on my charger... viola. The bump charge trick worked.

But sucks that they are flakey like this. I used to have 10 XL´s and they all had issues with not taking charge, Dont know how many times they got sent back and new chargers etc. I really hoped these new Vlock batteries wold be something different. Again I only had problems with 1 battery out of 6 on delivery and now they been on a shoot that I did not attend but I heard nothing from it so I guess they worked allright.

But does not leave a good feeling to read your post. :(
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Yeah seems the quality just isn’t there for Redvolts :(

Yes, I also have a story like Björn's. Bought 6 RedVolts back when they just came out. One of them was charged and used in camera once and that's it, was not able to charge or use it again. Red said "sorry" and that was it... I did not try to play electrician with it :) the other 5 are still ok.

Do the cross wire with a half charged battery for a few seconds. It jump starts / trigger the battery to take charge.

The one I had faulty works just fine after that and they all had like 10-15 charge cycles with no problem. Love the form factor of these. I got some big blueshape batts as well but lots of times I now just grab some of these. And on ronin they are super nice As they keep the camera from resenting when rebooting the ronin and they are perfect size shape to keep camera in good balance.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    Do the cross wire with a half charged battery for a few seconds. It jump starts / trigger the battery to take charge.

The one I had faulty works just fine after that and they all had like 10-15 charge cycles with no problem. Love the form factor of these. I got some big blueshape batts as well but lots of times I now just grab some of these. And on ronin they are super nice As they keep the camera from resenting when rebooting the ronin and they are perfect size shape to keep camera in good balance.
    I'm having the exact same RedVolt V issues. I used them 2 months ago and now they won't charge. They are in good condition too. I've tried everything on my end to get them to charge with no luck. Contacted RED and they basically told me to replace them.

Björn, I'm no electrician but since you are the only one who was able to get your batteries to charge, would you mind outlining your process so I can give it a shot?

I might as well try before officially making these batteries paperweights.