Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: HYDROGEN Update... January 22nd.

Reply to Thread
Page 47 of 152 FirstFirst ... 374344454647484950515797147 ... LastLast
    I think people are weighting the chip way too highly and think Jim hit the nail on the head. Think of the complete experience rather than the individual bits. For example, the first Surface Pro 3 model came with either an i3, i5, or i7 chip. In the real world, the i5 was the fastest version of the SP3 because the i7 overheated more often and thus needed to be throttled. IIRC the Snapdragon 810 was supposed to be a major step up, but had horrible thermal issues and nearly all phones with the chip had to be throttled and they didn't provide any significant benefit over the previous year's phones as a result.

The bottom line is that getting the fastest and newest chip available is not always the best move. There may be thermal issues and if there is less time for developers to become familiar with the chip, the software could be more inefficient at using the chip's power than a more well-known chip.

For the Hydrogen, the bigger picture (as Jim said) is what's going to matter. Since this is a media producing machine, I would imagine those are the experiences they are tuning it to. No engineer would pick a chip that couldn't handle the core use cases. Also, on the whole, engineers LOVE using the best tech when they can, no one is saying "yeah that chip is way better and priced similarly, but let's go with the weaker one just to be less good than we can be." Sure, there are cost and timing limits. But when a company is releasing something this big for the first time in a new market, it's fair to assume they're working to produce the best product possible. I think the 835x will be just fine.

PS: First post, and the RH1 will be my first RED product, which is highly exciting. Otherwise I'm a still photographer who uses Nikon gear and Hasselblad for MF film. Excited to join the community!
    (Also, like an earlier poster, I too am getting married in May (5th) and would LOVE to show off this phone to my friends and family, but I'd rather have the phone release when it's ready to go, so if it needs more time, that's cool too.)

Im sure any new carrier agreements or approvals will be announced here. But if youd like to keep an eye open, newly approved Verizon devices are listed here: https://opendevelopment.verizonwirel...evice-showcase

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kruger View Post
    I think people are weighting the chip way too highly and think Jim hit the nail on the head. Think of the complete experience rather than the individual bits. For example, the first Surface Pro 3 model came with either an i3, i5, or i7 chip. In the real world, the i5 was the fastest version of the SP3 because the i7 overheated more often and thus needed to be throttled. IIRC the Snapdragon 810 was supposed to be a major step up, but had horrible thermal issues and nearly all phones with the chip had to be throttled and they didn't provide any significant benefit over the previous year's phones as a result.

The bottom line is that getting the fastest and newest chip available is not always the best move. There may be thermal issues and if there is less time for developers to become familiar with the chip, the software could be more inefficient at using the chip's power than a more well-known chip.

For the Hydrogen, the bigger picture (as Jim said) is what's going to matter. Since this is a media producing machine, I would imagine those are the experiences they are tuning it to. No engineer would pick a chip that couldn't handle the core use cases. Also, on the whole, engineers LOVE using the best tech when they can, no one is saying "yeah that chip is way better and priced similarly, but let's go with the weaker one just to be less good than we can be." Sure, there are cost and timing limits. But when a company is releasing something this big for the first time in a new market, it's fair to assume they're working to produce the best product possible. I think the 835x will be just fine.

PS: First post, and the RH1 will be my first RED product, which is highly exciting. Otherwise I'm a still photographer who uses Nikon gear and Hasselblad for MF film. Excited to join the community!
    (Also, like an earlier poster, I too am getting married in May (5th) and would LOVE to show off this phone to my friends and family, but I'd rather have the phone release when it's ready to go, so if it needs more time, that's cool too.)
    @Peter K congrats on HYDROGEN, / first RED product AND of course getting married in May.

Well if you don't have a HYDROGEN in hand ... I'm still trying to imagine all kinds of HYDROGEN branded swag...

Have been poking around the MontBlanc Website for inspiration and these cufflinks http://www.montblanc.com/en-us/colle...tml?=undefined

Might be very cool with HYDROGEN logos on them for your wedding lol. [If RED went in that direction].

They also look a bit like ear buds (in a way) so was wondering what HYDROGEN would best be kitted out with ear-bud wise? Is RED doing anything special for that?

[The montblanc* smart watch doesn't look to bad, sort of wondering how an android based smart watch could be made to interact with HYDROGEN https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=tzZfx2ysqrA
    ^^^ Doesn't look too bad clean lines etc. all in black...

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _

Cool to hear you shoot MF / film on Hassy ... I have a lot of old Hasselblad equipment from film days to digital.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __

*No affiliation.

@Peter Kruger +1 on the engineering sentiment and it's possibly not the only chip under the hood.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________

RSVP'd for HYDROGEN -VIP SNEAK PEAK @ RED STUDIOS HOLLYWOOD on and for MAY 19th 2018.

(Its really a sneak peek into your future and THE future :-) )

Be there or be flat! Or at least risk feeling dimensionally challenged!

Congrats on the wedding, just a few days before mine. Hydrogen will also be my first RED product, but I am very sure first of many. I am also looking for the smart watche to replace my apple watch. Gear S3 and Huawaei look good. Especially if you could get a watch face in a Hydrogen style. Lastly what does everyone think the very first thing you shoot with the Hydrogen one will be?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason G View Post
    Lastly what does everyone think the very first thing you shoot with the Hydrogen one will be?
    I will probably take a picture of my dog, she's very photogenic :-)

First shot(s) on H1 is a 98 Page feature... 9:01am X2 preorder
    Pro sound and gaff but we are amping for a H1 feature.
    Story begot The Story.
    Love the nerdcore on this thread but out here in the PNw we are just all about The Meta.
    The big picture. No bumming no turning back...

BM was great but those motherfuckers just ghosted, now it’s a never look back scenario
    Honestly it could be the 040 from my 30 year old Amiga and I would still trust these cats.
    Get on here and act/react what more could we want?

Jimmy Jam not afraid to keep the dreamstoke blazing.

No sleep till those bad boys drop.
    Eyes wide open. Thanks RED this is a fucking fantastic A ticket ride.
    Now back to you braintrust mofos.
    H1 let’s get it on.
    http://zenhousefilms.com
    https://vimeo.com/148550656 reel (proxy)

new shit https://youtu.be/_S-c6j6vzCM
    BESETMENT first place RIIFF out June 10, 2017
    BETWEEN THE TREES - in post
    FLIPPED - 4/17

SW # 005336 "Maggothead Bucketlander"
    SMX (x12+), Switar 25f1.1/ZEISS MMJ SLUT/RPP/

Quote Originally Posted by Jannard View Post
    Think "on balance". Focus too much on one thing and lose sight of all that is new and wonderful about HYDROGEN. The 835 variant is just fine for what we are doing, plus saved 6 months of certification. The 4500mA battery is the industry best. Additionally... when I can post some of the other surprises, you'll have a lot of new specs to ponder where there are no comparisons to any other cell phone ever made.

Jim

Hey Jim or Jarred,

Can you give us some valentine love with some leaks? Pretty please? Really looking forward to H1!
    DIT, Assistant Editor, Phantom Tech, offering workflow services from acquisition to post

Available with or without following gear:

2 Alexa Studios
    Alexa M package
    Arri Amira Premium/UHD
    Alexa Mini with raw, 4/3
    2 Epic Ws
    Oconnor 2060

Red Rocket X with rMBP, FCPX, Avid MC8, and Resolve Lite 14 in the NYC/CT area.

"Lastly what does everyone think the very first thing you shoot with the Hydrogen one will be?"

Probably a video of my feet as I'm looking down at the screen trying to figure out how to start record. :)

First shot.... Something to see how it fares against my Canon DSLR, that's what i'm really interested in, although i think i may have to wait for a "module" release before i get that answer.

Quote Originally Posted by H Dewey View Post
    "Lastly what does everyone think the very first thing you shoot with the Hydrogen one will be?"

Probably a video of my feet as I'm looking down at the screen trying to figure out how to start record. :)
    H Dewey has a sense of humour.

Good one.
    An explorer explores new ideas and things, but somebody stuck in mud, complains.
    - But the explorer complains about how much better the territory he has discovered is instead.

-Since when has denying that the possible is possible been reason? Such is the life of some skepticism.
    -Normalcy involves what is realistically possible, not just what you say.