Thread: Monstro's here, what do we do for a long & fast zoom?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Monstro's here, what do we do for a long & fast zoom? 
    Now that Monsto's here, the lens question takes center stage.

I'm leaning towards the Sigma Cine Primes, that's the easy part. Where I'm having a problem is regarding a long zoom to replace the 24-290 Optimo T.2.8, which is a staple on every job. The 2.8 being the issue here. Looking at what the Angenieux FF options are for that zoom, the T.4.2 seems to be a deal breaker. Seems as though the directors I work with all want T.1.3 for primes (Sigma's work at 1.5) and don't want anything over the 2.8 for a long zoom. For them, and ultimately me, its all about the shallow DOF.

I suspect, one option is to wait a bit, shoot 6K (or 5.5K) and limp along with the 24-290 if I knew something affordable and 2.8ish was coming soon. But I'd love to get the lens situation worked out and dive into the 8K world now. As always, any input would be appreciated.

I should add that mainly my work is doing TV commercial spots.

Take a look at the Zeiss Compact zooms. There are (3) in the series and are all 2.9.
    15-30mm, 28-80mm, 70-200mm

I think the wide zoom doesn't cover all the way to 8k full frame but does cover 8k HD.

Zeiss quality.... all super sharp, way under used and under appreciated, very reasonably priced.
    Camera Rentals
    Washington DC, Baltimore, Mid Atlantic region
    Monsrto VV, Helium, Helium Monochrome, Arri Mini, XT and Amira, Sony Venice, Varicam 35
    Master Prime's, Summicron's, Cooke S4i, TLS Panchros, Ultra's, Sigma's, TLS Leica R's
    Anamorphics- Zeiss Master, Cooke, Kowa, CinEvision, Atlas Orion
    www.Dc-camera.com
    Facebook page for updates

Quote Originally Posted by Erich Roland View Post
    Take a look at the Zeiss Compact zooms. There are (3) in the series and are all 2.9.
    15-30mm, 28-80mm, 70-200mm

I think the wide zoom doesn't cover all the way to 8k full frame but does cover 8k HD.

Zeiss quality.... all super sharp, way under used and under appreciated, very reasonably priced.
    Erich,
    Great suggestion. Looks like a good way to go. Checking them out now. Do you know of anything with longer focal range? I know I want it all.

I will also recommend the Zeiss CZs. Been using them with the VV for 2 years + and they are still the best option overall.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    I will also recommend the Zeiss CZs. Been using them with the VV for 2 years + and they are still the best option overall.
    Seems like a good cross between size, quality, and price. I was hoping for a bigger range, but I guess that doesn't exsist in the 2.8 range. Are you needing supports with these?

Quote Originally Posted by steve green View Post
    Seems like a good cross between size, quality, and price. I was hoping for a bigger range, but I guess that doesn't exsist in the 2.8 range. Are you needing supports with these?
    Depends. The 15-30 and 28-80 I use often without support, but if I'm on the lens all day I'll rig it. The 70-200 I'd recommend it on the long side. Either RED's or Bright Tangerines are what I use with 19mm CF rods.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

+1 for the CZ's. For the price and FF coverage they are unbeatable. I use the 28-80 on nearly every shoot.

Would love to see Canon make a VV friendly version of their 30-300 zoom. Current model vignetted on 6K Dragon up to about 45mm, no idea where it would lose the corners with a 41mm x 21.6mm target.

With larger formats, making reasonably fast, high resolving AND compact zooms with magnification factors greater than 3X is challenging to say the least. The first one of the big dogs to bring to market an 8X workhorse with at least a 40mm wide end, VV coverage and T3.2 or better will sell some glass - as long as they can get it under 22" in length, 18 lbs or less and under $35K.

Cheers - #19

How about the 17-80 angie with a 1.4x . That would make it 24-112 T3.1 possibly with FF coverage ;-)
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment

Steve,

My short experience with the Monstro is you kinda need to rethink how F stop affects DOF. It depends on your starting point but if you take 35mm academy to Monstro you need an extra 1.8 stops to match the DOF. So if you had previously been shooting f2.8 then a line under f5.6 will give you depth of focus equivalency. Long lenses get super shallow on VistaVision sensors. In the past shooting TVCs I would be mainly at f1.4 but now on the Monstro I am more likely at f2 or even f2.8. Not saying I wouldn’t love a fast zoom lens and I would use it WFO but with Monstro I am more likely to actually stop down.
    Tom Gleeson