Thread: Tokina 1.6x Expander : A Celebration

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Tokina 1.6x Expander : A Celebration 
    I'll keep it short since I don't have a lot of time right now.

Recently acquired a Tokina 1.6x Expander, thinking it might be nice to have as an option to extend / expand certain zooms or primes for larger gate coverage on Monstro and other cameras with larger sensors.

I'm very pleased with it so far.

Works great with my Angenieux EZ-1 30-90 (instead of buying a swappable group - I just use this).

I was even more pleasantly surprised when I tried it with the Sony Cinealta Mark2 Primes.

Shooting with it wide open at T2 - the lenses look like Super Baltars without any added diffusion and with the convenience of a modern housing - "free spherical aberration" - looks great for certain things.

Stop down to a T2.8 - right back to being "Sharp" "modern" and Pretty clean.

quite pleased with this little thing.

Many lenses might not work because of rear cells being too deep - but for some purposes, really a useful thing in the toolkit.

When I have time (who am I kidding) I'll try to post some frames.

Dan, I've been really curious whether one of these would expand the image circle of S16 glass enough to cover 5-5.5K on Helium (they cover 3.5K clean and 4K with just a slight falloff in the corners). I have a lovely set of S16 Superspeeds that I'd like to get more use out of...what are your thoughts?
    BRAINCELL CAMERA - MICHIGAN Renting Weapon Helium, Gemini, Raven, Alexa Studio, Alexa Mini
    Primes: Atlas Anamorphics, Cooke Panchro Classic, Sigma Cine, Celere HS, Leica R, Zeiss Contax
    Zooms: Optimo 15-40, Optimo DPs, Cooke 18-100, Duclos 11-16
    Support: Ronin 2, Black Arm, Alpha Wheels, Tero, ReadyRig, EasyRig, Teradek RT FIZs, Teradek Bolts, Bright Tangerine matteboxes, FSI monitors
    ------
    Cinematography/Production Professor, Compass College of Cinematic Arts, Grand Rapids, MI

Sadly I donít think so as most of the S16 glass I know of protrudes too far into the mount to be possible. Thereís a handy flange checker card they include to make sure you donít crash your glass into glass.

Iíll measure it later and post the spec

The tokina 1.6 is shallowest converter/extender I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kanes View Post
    Sadly I don’t think so as most of the S16 glass I know of protrudes too far into the mount to be possible. There’s a handy flange checker card they include to make sure you don’t crash your glass into glass.

I’ll measure it later and post the spec
    Damn...I wondered about that...but thanks for the answer!
    BRAINCELL CAMERA - MICHIGAN Renting Weapon Helium, Gemini, Raven, Alexa Studio, Alexa Mini
    Primes: Atlas Anamorphics, Cooke Panchro Classic, Sigma Cine, Celere HS, Leica R, Zeiss Contax
    Zooms: Optimo 15-40, Optimo DPs, Cooke 18-100, Duclos 11-16
    Support: Ronin 2, Black Arm, Alpha Wheels, Tero, ReadyRig, EasyRig, Teradek RT FIZs, Teradek Bolts, Bright Tangerine matteboxes, FSI monitors
    ------
    Cinematography/Production Professor, Compass College of Cinematic Arts, Grand Rapids, MI