Thread: RED Weapon Monochrome to Congo to film Grauer's Gorillas-first time user needs help

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Monochrome? Not a good mission for that camera
    -Zeb
    FAA 333 Drone Ace
    6K Drone Worldwide
    Underwater Shooter
    RED in Hawaii w/Operator
    www.Stock8K.com

Monocrome is very limiteded when you grade as you can not isolate colors and grade them seperatly all you got is luminans to play with.
    So even though monocrome is a nice camera you can usually get more interesting constrast grading BW from color.

Monstro at higher speeds gives you a larger sensor then helium at the same speed. Monstro also got better pixels so its a way better highspeed camera. And to me a way better to shot difficult to artisticly light BW scenarios with than monocrome. Monocrome you need to filter in camera to make it look as wanted so it is for sure not the easy hammer to hit the nail with on the conterary its seriously difficult.

Nikon mount works well on monstro you can ”cut it open” with a knife to make it cover.
    Also if you shoot at your high framerates you will window in on the sensor so the glas will cover.
    But again I would stay at 75fps and use HDRX if needed.If the shadow / direct sunlight ratios are that hard so learn how that works.

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    Monocrome is very limiteded when you grade as you can not isolate colors and grade them seperatly all you got is luminans to play with.
    So even though monocrome is a nice camera you can usually get more interesting constrast grading BW from color.

Monstro at higher speeds gives you a larger sensor then helium at the same speed. Monstro also got better pixels so its a way better highspeed camera. And to me a way better to shot difficult to artisticly light BW scenarios with than monocrome. Monocrome you need to filter in camera to make it look as wanted so it is for sure not the easy hammer to hit the nail with on the conterary its seriously difficult.

Nikon mount works well on monstro you can ”cut it open” with a knife to make it cover.
    Also if you shoot at your high framerates you will window in on the sensor so the glas will cover.
    But again I would stay at 75fps and use HDRX if needed.If the shadow / direct sunlight ratios are that hard so learn how that works.
    I agree with Bjorn that grading a black and white image will be harder than going from color. It is worth a test though. you will of course get less noise and I would think increase sharpness with monochrome.
    /Andreas
    www.ObergWildlife.com- Natural History Filmmaking
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    CF Weapon Helium 8K Strummer Bright Tangerine, OConnor 2560, Canon 50-1000mm

Questions, but first thank you for everybody who responded.

1)Do I want to shoot at 75 FPS instead of 60 fps?? I believe you lose vertical pixels shooting at 2.4:1, which would play an important role in stabilizing my shoulder-rig footage in post. I'd prefer to keep those vertical pixels to assist with framing and stabilization, hence the use of an 8k camera.

2) Cutting anything on an $80,000 camera makes me want to throw up? I was told Nikon mount didn't work on Monstro so I ruled it out entirely, but its an interesting "hack" I'll take into account if I upgrade the sensor some day.

3) Isn't jungle green distracting? B+W eliminates the "busy-ness" of vines and tangles and in my experience the jungle rarely isolates gorillas but frames them messily and chaotically.

4) +1.5 stops of light performance supersedes grading considerations? My understanding is that the monochrome gives me 1.5 stops of light improvement, which I can use against noise, shutter speed/fps, or increasing my depth of field with large, and possibly very close, subjects. I also expect to get better quality stills at 6/5/4k all else equal. This is where I'm more shaky as I don't have much experience grading but thank you all for making me aware of the "thin" profile of monochrome. If anyone has suggestions on color filters to bring to make gorillas in the jungle pop even more, I'm all ears and that could really improve the footage.

5) Slow-mo is the way to go? I want to shoot slow-motion because it's different and dramatic and given available light I can pull usable stills from the higher shutter speed footage at 6, 5, or 4k, which all else equal will look cleaner and sharper in monochrome than the color cameras with the same light. I'll possibly be renting a second color helium and if I do I'm happy to do comparisons for everyone after I upload the footage. Also windowing sensor gives my focal length range a big Mario mushroom which will help me bring out eyes, facial expressions, etc if I can keep the camera steady somehow...

Thank you. Happy to do comparisons if I end up with a twin Helium color/monochrome setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Kennedy View Post
    Anything nature/wildlife-using pre record has totally helped conserve my mags and storage. So instead of recording everything in hopes that the animal would do something interesting. I’d just shoot exactly what I’d need with pre record.
    And be sure to do a secure format before using the pre record option before.
    Amazing advice. 20 second max pre-roll is perfect, that should conserve my mags, thank you very much. I'll have 20-30TB on hand but should be ok.

Y cot out some flocking on the nikon mount so no harm to the actual camera.

Regarding speed, yes you are right shooting 60 fps somthing is giving you full ff height so go with that. I like 75 fps as its even devidable down to 25fps.

At high frame rates I would not worry so much about shutter speed even big ones work so if out of light shoot 360 shutter if heavy light and no nd filter at hand go on a tighter shutter.

as the djungle is green makes it easy to key on, separate and pull contrast and luminanase differently than the apes before making it BW that way you can treat them differently in terms of contrast etc. On monocrome its not like that.

And monstro is cleaner than every camera you ever seen except for the monocrome.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame / VFX / Motion capture / Monstro

Senior Member Jens Jakob Thorsen's Avatar
    In my experience jungles are VERY dark, so monstro if possible and adjust exposure with the shutter as Björn suggests.
    Jens Jakob Thorsen DFF
    Director of photography
    Denmark
    www.jensjakob.com
    mail@jensjakob.com
    Monstro VV

Dark leaves and Gorilla could have the same grey in B&W...

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tresch View Post
    Dark leaves and Gorilla could have the same grey in B&W...

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...=1#post1785466
    -Zeb
    FAA 333 Drone Ace
    6K Drone Worldwide
    Underwater Shooter
    RED in Hawaii w/Operator
    www.Stock8K.com