Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Best True 4K HDR Monitor 48-50 inches 
    Hi!

I'm looking to buy a good monitor which is:

- true 4K (not UHD) - so at least 4096 x 2160 not 3840 X 2160
    - HDR capability

- and the diagonal should not exceed 48-50 inch max

I don't need a true color correction monitor, just a reference TV on which I can check 4K content when I edit. Of course, if I can calibrate it to a decent level, great, but I don't need it for professional color grading. Ballpark good colors are ok.

Any suggestions? What would be the best monitors / smart TVs which fit the above criteria?

As usual, I very much appreciate any advice here on Reduser from people who know a lot more than me.

Thank you friends!

---

The trick is classifying what kind of HDR you need. If you only need 1000 nits, then the Sony BVM-X300 will handle it very well (along with a Dolby CMU for Dolby Vision), but be aware the list price is $45,000. Street price is probably $10,000 less. Details here:

https://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/cat-hd...t-BVMX300%2F2/

Another contender is the Flanders XM-310K, which is 31", and that is also $45,000:

http://www.flandersscientific.com/XM310K/

And the last HDR mastering display I know of (that's purchasable) is the Dolby PRM-4220, but I think it only goes up to 600 nits:

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/professi.../prm-4220.html

The only display that will do 4000 nits right now is the Dolby Pulsar, which is a lease/loaner deal directly from Dolby. There are several laser D-Cinema projectors that can do HDR and/or Dolby Vision just fine, starting in the $200K range.

If you mean, "just a client display that will give me a reasonable HDR picture," then there's nothing below 55" that I'm aware of at the moment. The LG OLED C7 is well-regarded, but it's 55".
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

To add to the log pile with a host of 31" DCI 4K HDR displays you have at 2000 nits:
    - Eizo CG3145
    - TVLogic LUM-310R
    - Ikan OBM-U310
    - (as Marc mentioned) Flanders XM-310K

Each, if I recall correctly, are using the same base panel technology (who I won't name, though the Ikan rep was comically adamant that they were making their own panel, perhaps in the shed out back) with a bit of each individual manufacturer's special sauce.

Tested the Eizo out before mastering out at Dolby on a project a while back.

Outside of that however, the specific screen size you are after is a bit of an odd duck for DCI at the moment. I personally would like to see something the 40" to 42" range.

There will be more DCI 4K HDR displays announced shortly, but again, nothing I know of in the sizes you're after.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Thanks guys!!!

I understand re: monitors

How about the best SmartTV in that range? A SmartTV which is 48-40 inches, can do true 4K (if possible) and can also do HDR

Of course, it won't meet professional standards… but just to be able to see the 4K image on a good TV, with decent colors - more to see how it will look on the best 4K SmartTVs that people have.

Any one that is better than the pack?

Thanks again! It is much appreciated.

Things may be different come NAB, but AFAIK the cost of those extra 256 pixels (4096 vs 3840) horizontal is roughly $100/pixel at the moment. Strongly suggest you either live with 16:9 UHD, or look at projectors. The reality is that economies of scale enable creation of 1.78:1 panels at semi-reasonable prices, DCI 1.89:1, OTOH, is a niche market. If you are finishing/mastering for DCI and need to pixel peep without concern for scaling artifacts, then 4096 is obviously indicated. For most other tasks 3840 with a little letter-boxing should be fine.

If it were me, I'd do all my post scaled to 3840 and then take my master candidate to a facility with a calibrated DCI projector. Yes, that will cost me a few bucks - but I'd want to QC on a system besides my own before sending out a DCP anyway. YMMV.

Cheers - #19

Got it Blair.
    All you say makes perfect sense.

Any best candidate for a 48-50 inch 16:9 UHD then with some HDR capability?
    The upside at least is that I can also use it as a SmartTV for Netflix and such.

Which one is the best one in your opinion?
    Thanks for the time!!

I'm still looking for a good 32" inch 4k monitor, ideally with HDR, but there doesn't seem to be so many good options still. Hopefully it will change.
    /Andreas
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    www.THUNDOOR.com- Visually poetic images and stories that matter
    Epic X #3734, CF Weapon Helium Strummer Bright Tangerine, Sachtler Video 20 S1, OConnor 2560, Canon 50-1000

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Each, if I recall correctly, are using the same base panel technology (who I won't name, though the Ikan rep was comically adamant that they were making their own panel, perhaps in the shed out back) with a bit of each individual manufacturer's special sauce.
    I just did a spit-take all over my monitor. Best laugh I had all day, Phil!

I'm expecting there'll be a lot more action in 4K HDR displays at NAB in a couple of months. The trick is how big, how much, and what kind of HDR we'll be seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasOberg View Post
    I'm still looking for a good 32" inch 4k monitor, ideally with HDR, but there doesn't seem to be so many good options still. Hopefully it will change.
    The Sony BVM-X300 has become the de facto HDR standard in hundreds of places I'm aware of, so that's the best choice you've got right now. Just be aware the list price is $45K. Realistically, I think it can be had for closer to $30K.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Medavoym View Post
    Any best candidate for a 48-50 inch 16:9 UHD then with some HDR capability? The upside at least is that I can also use it as a SmartTV for Netflix and such.

Which one is the best one in your opinion?
    Aren't you just looking for a current LG OLED TV?
    Last edited by AndreeMarkefors; 02-16-2018 at 09:38 AM. Reason: changed spelling error 'LD' to 'LG'.

I looked around and it's hard to find an OLED 4K TV with a screen diagonal of 48-50 inches.
    Are you aware of any OLED TVs 4K in that size?

I don't think LG has any.

Thanks!