Thread: Canon 50 - 1000mm for Wildlife

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Canon 50 - 1000mm for Wildlife 
    Hi everyone.

I was just wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with the Canon 50 1000mm, or CN20x50. Plan is to use it for wildlife, especially birds and jungle animals.
    http://www.visuals.co.uk/3972207-cn2...xoCwU4QAvD_BwE

Currently we use Canon 100-400 IS II and Canon 600 F4 IS II.
    The 600 has an amazing image, but its a big handicap that we cannot reframe quickly.
    I wonder though if the zoom really has a similar image to the 600mm. Also how good it will deal with 8k resolution since its made for "4k".
    We currently use our Epic MX, but will probably upgrade to Helium. Probably not monstro because it cannot work with lenses like this.

If we would pick one I think we would pick the EF Mount because I like using Canon glass. They are so light, they have image stabilization and I have so many different types to pick from.

/Andreas
    Last edited by AndreasOberg; 03-06-2018 at 09:21 AM.
    www.ObergWildlife.com- Natural History Filmmaking
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    2 x RED DSCM2 8K Helium, Phantom 4K VEO990, Movi Pro Gimbal, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon 50-1000mm

No experience with this lens but I know a lot of members of this forum use the Sigma 150-600 Sport and are satisfied with it. Seems like a very good value for price/quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic Boudreault View Post
    No experience with this lens but I know a lot of members of this forum use the Sigma 150-600 Sport and are satisfied with it. Seems like a very good value for price/quality.
    Hi Dominic. I think the Sigma 150-600 is ok, but its really in a different ballpark. but you are right its a fantastic value.
    I have compared it with the 600mm F4 and the quality difference is very big, also most of the material we film is at 1200mm F8 to get as close as possible to especially birds.
    As a zoom I generally use the Canon 100-400 with a 1.4x extender currently. The main limitations I have is that 1) it cannot reach that long 2) its not parafocal so everytime you zoom you must cut lin editing 3) it has focus breathing 4) quality just isn't not comparable to the 600mm.

Cheers!
    /Andreas
    2 x RED DSCM2 8K Helium, Phantom 4K VEO990, Movi Pro Gimbal, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon 50-1000mm

I have used it several times. It is really sharp but really slow. You need to consider if you can work with those stops... It also requires a very big fluid head and long dovetail I use it on my 2575 and even with that it is susceptible to vibrations especially if windy. I would say beyond that it is a really good lens for wildlife as you can frame up quickly on the wide end then punch in for your shot. Pretty spendy so for me its a rental when I need those type of shots. If I were you I would rent first before considering buying one.
    Mike McEntire
    Mack Dawg Productions
    Oceanside, CA

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasOberg View Post
    Hi Dominic. I think the Sigma 150-600 is ok, but its really in a different ballpark. but you are right its a fantastic value.
    I have compared it with the 600mm F4 and the quality difference is very big, also most of the material we film is at 1200mm F8 to get as close as possible to especially birds.
    As a zoom I generally use the Canon 100-400 with a 1.4x extender currently. The main limitations I have is that 1) it cannot reach that long 2) its not parafocal so everytime you zoom you must cut lin editing 3) it has focus breathing 4) quality just isn't not comparable to the 600mm.

Cheers!
    /Andreas
    Good points. Are you using the Canon 2X extender on the 600mm F4 to get to 1200mm?

Have you considered the Sigma 300-800mm? Not a lot of options for wildlife zooms.

Andreas, have you considered the Canon 200-400 mm f/4 with x2 extender?
    Is it parfocal and what about breathing? Somebody?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike McEntire View Post
    I have used it several times. It is really sharp but really slow. You need to consider if you can work with those stops... It also requires a very big fluid head and long dovetail I use it on my 2575 and even with that it is susceptible to vibrations especially if windy. I would say beyond that it is a really good lens for wildlife as you can frame up quickly on the wide end then punch in for your shot. Pretty spendy so for me its a rental when I need those type of shots. If I were you I would rent first before considering buying one.
    Hi Mike, good to hear from you! Yes, we realized that our Sachtler Video 20 S1 is not strong enough for our Canon 600mm F4 with 2x extender. Would you recommend a 2575 or a 2560? I'm almost leaning towards a 2575 even though its heavy!
    I think we would mostly use it for 300-1000mm. Surely up to 1500 sometimes. Then the stops are not bad compared to our 600. at 1200 it has F8 which is similar to the cine lens. One thing I'm a bit concerned about is the lack of image stabiliser. The 600mm stabiliser really helps. And yes, its pretty expensive!
    I think my main concerns are:
    - does it give a similar image to the 600
    - will it have too many vibrations.

/Andreas

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Pilato View Post
    Andreas, have you considered the Canon 200-400 mm f/4 with x2 extender?
    Is it parfocal and what about breathing? Somebody?
    Thanks.
    Hi Marc. I dont think its parafocal and it probably breathes a bit, but have no first hand experience. I'm always a bit hesitant to put 2x extenders on since the quality takes a hit. Works on the 600mm since it has such a fantastic image to begin with. Would be interesting to try.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic Boudreault View Post
    Good points. Are you using the Canon 2X extender on the 600mm F4 to get to 1200mm?

Have you considered the Sigma 300-800mm? Not a lot of options for wildlife zooms.
    Yes, the 2x extender. It works surprisingly well. The image is really breathtaking.
    I have not tested the Sigma 300-800. But the image quality is a compromise in it. Wildlife zooms are tricky! The canon 100-400 works quite well, but yes the focus breathing and not being parafocal is really tricky. The worst is that its not parafocal. Imagine you are filming some animals, you zoom out and then you need to hunt and find the focus, which can take a while to hit.
    /Andreas

Hey Andreas. I think either head you mentioned would be fine but if you can handle carrying the 2575 it is better for super long lens work. It is pretty hard core to carry if you don't have help of course. I think you will be happy with the image from the 50-1000. The lack of stabilization is a factor. I shot it in pretty windy condtions for a big wave scenario and it was a challenge even with the 2575. If it was me I might go for the still lens option with IS. Lighter and can shoot with a lighter tripod. Way easier to access the wildlife. Carrying the big tripod and lens is fun for about 10 steps...
    Cheers,
    Mike
    Mike McEntire
    Mack Dawg Productions
    Oceanside, CA