Thread: Canon 50 - 1000mm for Wildlife

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I used the 50-1000 on a HELIUM a few times, a very very good lens...some CA but generally for it's incredibly focal lengths it's a short, lightweight & CINE ready lens.

Have any of you tried the FD 150 - 600 f5.6? I believe it's the best digital long lens I've used, zero CA.

it's FD 2X doubler & 1.4X extenders are very very good on the MONSTRO & HELIUM sensors...the NIKON 1.7X extender I found to be slightly sharper though.

I'm having an FD one re-housed & made PL along with the three extenders mentioned above too.

I'll post some pix when it's done.

S
    Stuart Graham U.S.
    Stuart Graham Outside of the U.S.

Yes I agree with Stuart.
    + 1 for the Canon FD 150-600mm. Also the FD 300mm and FD 800mm all on Universal PL with 2X extenders. I have used them for years. Brillant lenses but heavy. Personally, I always use a 150mm tripod as I find the 100mm too light for real moves.

Today the 50-1000mm is standard issue for high-end wildlife films (along with the 30-300mm). It is particularly good for hide work, stationary rigs, even cineflex. But at more than 6kgs you don't want to be running around with it too much.

I think my 150-600 weighs in at 4kg and I have always found it heavy - but worth it.
    Indeed, I like this lens so much that I recently sent it off for a complete refurbishment!

Interesting information guys. Interesting about the CA as well. When does this happen? At longer or shorter ranges?
    I guess the 50-1000 together with a shorter range is a pretty perfect combination. Is it a good mix with the 30-300. The 30 is not that wide after all.
    I like the idea of mixing it with canon still lenses. Gives so much option and of course is cheaper as well.
    /Andreas
    www.ObergWildlife.com- Natural History Filmmaking
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    2 x RED DSCM2 8K Helium, Phantom 4K VEO990, Movi Pro Gimbal, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon 50-1000mm

Quote Originally Posted by William Long View Post
    Yes I agree with Stuart.
    Personally, I always use a 150mm tripod as I find the 100mm too light for real moves.
    What 150mm tripod do you use William?

Btw I have a good tip on how to carry more things.
    I use an Ospray Zenith 105L backpack.
    https://www.ellis-brigham.com/produc...xoCH9UQAvD_BwE

I can put down the Epic, Rails, 600mm and Zoom F8 with a shotgun directly in the backpack fully setup. I can even fit in a gitzo 5 tripod legs with it, but the head can be tricky to fit in a good way.
    Makes a huge difference for how far I can carry things.
    I found that I can carry 22-32kg for a whole day in it with breaks of course. Surely could do more if I was in better shape.

/Andreas
    2 x RED DSCM2 8K Helium, Phantom 4K VEO990, Movi Pro Gimbal, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon 50-1000mm

Andreas,
    I use a Sachtler Studio II (150mm bowl) for the really big lenses, otherwise a smaller 100mm bowl Sachtler for more ordinary work.
    In terms of carrying heavy equipment, my tip would be a backpack attached to an assistant!
    That would be wonderful. :))

For wildlife I use the Canon 150-600 OPTEX cine converted lens with a Canon 1.4x TC - PL Mount.
    I use it with Epic Dragon and with Miller Arrow 55 head on Two stage legs... I do need a heavier tripod to make it just that much better.
    Lens is hard to get... lighter and super compact. ..

Mauricio -
    Attached Images
    Mauricio Handler
    Natural History / Underwater Cinematographer- DP

Red Epic Dragon Entropy I
    Red Epic Dragon Entropy II
    Amphibico Rouge Housing
    Orca & Light and Motion light banks

Aquaterrafilms
    dp@aquaterrafilms.com
    Mobile: 207-504-0733
    Maine, USA

www.aquaterrafilms.com

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasOberg View Post
    Interesting information guys. Interesting about the CA as well. When does this happen? At longer or shorter ranges?
    /Andreas
    Hi,
    Generally if it exists within the lens then it 'exists' at all focal lengths but it is often very difficult to see in a wide shot, unless you use the 'Magnify Toggle' function on your RED PRO for a closer inspection at capture or in your post workflow zoom in on the image.
    A hot sky & a wintery tree branch often shows this aberration very quickly, basically anything dark against a light background...the Celere's suffer CA very quickly IMO....but I'm going off topic here.

Lousy for run & gun, nature or any photography where you need to be mobile but...
    If you get chance try a TV BOX lens like a FUJINON 101 (8.7mm - 1800mm with the built in extender / doubler)
    They're massive (55lbs / 25kg's) it's a case of putting the camera on the lens ha ha...but for football games & the like it's great tool & even although they're designed primarily as 2/3" sensor coverage lens they do cover far more.
    At almost $250K they are designed to a high standard & delivery a very sharp image with generally little to no CA at all. I've tested a few box lenses on the DRAGON & HELIUM & most stand up very well, occasionally a bad one will exhibit quite strong CA so a test day is essential...oh & very strong head & legs too :)

S
    Stuart Graham U.S.
    Stuart Graham Outside of the U.S.

I know this thread is about the big canon zoom.But, does anybody know this Sigma zoom :
    https://www.sigma-photo.fr/objectifs...f56-ex-dg.html

Thanks for all the input everyone.

One thing that I have been pondering the last week is Helium vs Monstro , especially when it comes to lenses but also slow motion. Would be nice to have some second thoughts.
    When filming animals if we are in any way expecting action we will film in 5.1k 96fps almost exclusively. 80% of the time we us Canon 600mm mostly at 840mm f5.6 or 1200mm f8.
    The sensor size is 27.7mm wide for Epic at this resolution.

If we use Helium the sensor is around 18.5mm.
    With Monstro its a whopping 25.5mm at 5k.

Here are some mixed thoughts for wildlife
    1) Benefits with Helium vs our aging MX are many
    + MUCH better in the dark. Not sure how much but probably at least 2 stops
    + Much better colors
    + Higher resolution and sharpness at least in 6-8k, downside is that we only have 60fps. Lots better than 30fps
    + Much better dynamic range especially in the highlights. I rarely have a problem with this though
    + less loud fan
    + lighter body
    + or - . A higher crop at 5k. For our case this would mostly be a good thing since the higher slow motion is mainly needed with a long lens

2) Benefits with Monstro
    + 1.3 or more stops of light. More light is always fantastic when filming in the jungle. This also means we could use longer depth of field
    + A bit sharper. Not so much from what I have seen but a bit.
    + 5k would have a sensor size of roughly 25mm on the width so this is not as aggressive crop. The main benefit is that we get less noise.
    + DSLR lenses would work reasonably well, probably up to 7k at least. I would think some would work at 8k as well. Would be great to hear if anyone tested more DSLR lenses.
    - Question how cine lenses would work. The 50-1000 I'm sure would not cover. However I'm sure it would cover 6k at least. Since we film mostly in slow motion this may be less of a problem. Then when you need full 8k you would have to switch to different lenses, not sure what. I saw the Canon Cine lenses cover 8k Monstro.
    - PRICE! ouch.

/Andreas
    Last edited by AndreasOberg; 03-09-2018 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Pilato View Post
    I know this thread is about the big canon zoom.But, does anybody know this Sigma zoom :
    https://www.sigma-photo.fr/objectifs...f56-ex-dg.html
    That looks nice, but 16kg. Ouch