Thread: New Affordable High Speed Xelmus Anamophic lens set

Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Sample footage looks pretty promising.
    Epic-M Dragon #1271

Not $12K each, $17995 for the set of 3. 40/60/100.
    Jason Diamond
    The Diamond Bros.
    Frame.io
    @jasondiamond

Monstro VV Stormtrooper / 8K HELIUM Stormtrooper / 2 x Gemini Packages
    Leica-R Duclos Cinemod 16mm-180mm / Atlas Anamorphic A-Set

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Diamond View Post
    That's the preorder deposit only, "The regular price of the set is $35,997" as stated at https://www.xelmus.com/store/anamorp...hic-prime-lens :(
    SCARLET-W #004760

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Diamond View Post
    I guess that's wrong.

i.e. Pre order Deposit for the set is $17997, where as total price would be $35997. If the deposit is made before April 2019, then you get a 10% discount making the total price $32397.

Similar applies for individual lenses as well.

$5999 is the pre order deposit for each lens. And Each lens costs $11999. However if the deposit is made before April 2019, then you get a 10% discount making the total price $10799.

This thread Title doesn't make any sense. How can these be called as Affordable! On the other hand Tried and tested Atlas Orion lens Price is almost 30% lesser than these.

Again, you need to consider import duty charges as well, to get them to USA and other countries (Wherever applicable). Honestly, these lens seems to be bloody expensive considering Manufacturer not giving references to their previous experience in the Lens making, having put in only two test videos and no DP gave any references about it. Do we even know if they going to be at NAB or other shows to let users try them?
    So far they have 40 (T2)/60(T1.6)/100(T2.8). And didn't mention future releases. Where as Orion currently has 32/40/50/65/80/100 (T2) in the line up.

However they look badass though (Stormtrooper's look).

Pretty full test on LF open gate, 40 has some sort of vignetting but still promising

was looking forward to these lenses, but after the sample footage, hard pass. very very very soft wide open. atlas look like a dream wide open compared to these. The breathing looks worse than original footage, the flares are pretty solid though. weird softness around edges and not in an even way, and weird vignetting. not worth the price.
    DP/Director/Producer
    www.domenicthedp.com
    www.nw-camera.com

Alexa Mini/Amira, RED Dragon, Monstro, Canon C500 Mark ii, C300ii, Sony FX9, FS7, UMP G2, Pocket 6k/4k, Sony A7s/r ii, Cooke Panchro Classics, Atlas Anamorphics, Zeiss Cp3, Angenieux EZ1/2, Celere HS set, Leica R Duclos set, DSO Trump series, Sigma Cine Primes, Contax Zeiss Superspeeds, GL Optics 18-35, 50-100, 70-200, tokina 11-16 PL, Laowa 24mm Probe, Movi Pro, Grip Vans, Skypanels, HMI's, Hive, Aputure, Litepanels, Litemats

Seems like T4 is the ideal place to be on these. The 40 and 60mm can hang at 2.8 but the 100mm definitely needs to be at a T4 for me.

Maybe you all will be interested in the little overview video I've shot for these lenses https://youtu.be/U27oDX0naVE

It has some sample footage as well, and they appear much sharper, then in the above test. I think this design relies on a very accurate flange distance, there's a chance the mount on the camera from the Maloney test required shimming? Anyways, I can't know, just a speculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Prodaniuk View Post
    Maybe you all will be interested in the little overview video I've shot for these lenses https://youtu.be/U27oDX0naVE
    Thanks for that. It just further confirms to me that the 100mm isn't on the same level as the 40 and 60mm.

It seems the 100mm sharpens up A LOT once you go from wide open (T2.5) to T2.8 (see the Maloney video since Max didn't stop down, although thanks for that video Max! Lots of good helpful stuff in there). And also keep in mind that the Xelmus 100mm is on a full frame camera. When the Atlas 100mm is on a full frame camera, it has to be paired with a 1.6x expander making it about T3.2 as it's wide open stop since the expander causes 1.3 stops of light loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Lochert View Post
    Thanks for that. It just further confirms to me that the 100mm isn't on the same level as the 40 and 60mm.
    Red Epic-W Helium / Arri Alexa Mini & EV Packages.
    Zeiss Mark II Super Speeds T1.3 -- Canon K-35s T1.4/1.6 -- Kowa Anamorphics T2.3/2.8 -- Kowa Prominar Sphericals T2.3 -- Lomo Square Front Anamorphics T2.5 -- Cineovision Anamorphics T1.4 -- Cooke TLS S2/3 Speed Panchros T2.3 -- Lomo Standard Primes T2.3 -- Schneider 1950s Xenon T2.3 -- B&L Super Baltars T2.3 -- Zeiss Ultrascope Anamorphics T2.3
    Element-camera.com - Rentals in San Francisco