Thread: Need suggestions: Follow Focus solution for short lenses

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Need suggestions: Follow Focus solution for short lenses 
    I use Leica R lenses on my Epic-W, and I love the combo because they're incredibly light and match super well with the Helium sensor. The problem I run into is that my follow focus can' fit between the camera body (and WC 15mm rod adapter) and my matte box. I had a crappy Tilta FF-T03 that finally fell apart, and I just purchased a used Arri MFF-1 today because I'm going on a feature the next couple weeks and needed something fast and cheap. That will work fine on the feature because we're using Cooke Mini's, but I tested it with my Leica R lenses, and it has the same problem. No matter the configuration, I can't get it to fit the lens gear and leave room for the matte box.

Does anyone have a solution for these short lenses? Would a BT Atom work? Maybe an FF4? I look forward to your comments.

Kenneth

Post pictures. Something with a gear that goes on either side like chroziel should fit. But failing that, you made to look into an idler gear or a different solution.

Nick

I can use either a Bright Tangerine Revolvr or OConnor CFF1 on my Leica-Rs with a matte box on rods or clamped on. I'm using 19mm. Shameless plug, you can also use a single rod follow focus on the rodClaw to save some space in this specific setup as well.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    AFAIK OConnor makes friction based FFs, right? I think there are also FFs which use a flexible band, which means that you can have the FF unit further away from the lens. I have never used a FF but I'm just going on what I read about.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | Martini Ultra (blog)

For the budget-conscious, the Shape FF Pro might be an option, going by the product photos. The gear-arm appears to be quite long and it is reversible. It looks as if it would work well for short lenses of small diameter such as the Leica R's and Contax(es?).

You said you needed something soon and on the cheap. The Shape might fit the bill at only $995.

I own a Cinevate Duras and have the same issue as yourself. It doesn't play nice with short lenses.

Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv