Thread: Kinefinity in full atack mode

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post

These are aggressively priced cameras for sure. One consideration to take note of, at the moment service is provided via China only.
    I'm pretty sure service happens in Berlin too. Maybe other countries as well.

https://hdvideoshop.com/en/3993-kine...ma-camera.html

Further, the warranty is automatically 3 years (free of charge), as opposed to RED which outrageously asks an additional $6000 for two years.

Think about it, you could buy a Terra 4K with a 3 year warranty for less than the price of a service contract from RED for 2 years. Kind of mind boggling.
    Last edited by C. Burkhart; 03-18-2018 at 05:19 PM.

My guess is that their target market is more BollyWood(and China, vietnam, etc..) than HollyWood. BollyWood and China are also loaded with UMP's because of the price/perf.
    In the Western world we watch movie's shot in 8k, 6.5k, 3.4k mostly on 2kDCI, in those countries they watch their local movie's shot in 6k or 4k on 2kDCI.
    Or we watch it highly compressed in FHD or UHD on Netflix, Amazon, HBO, etc...
    Most viewers won't see the difference when something is shot on RED8k and ARRI65 vs. UMP or Kinefinity and displayed on 2kDCI in theaters or highly compressed network quality FHD or UHD.

Senior Member David J. Buchanan's Avatar
    I'd buy one.
    Monstro, Dragon, A7S
    Zeiss Otus 28, 55, 85
    Corporate G&E Package
    davidjbuchanan.com

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tresch View Post
    They surely learned a lot from RED in design, modularity, ... but I feel like in 2007. Kudos to the Kinefinity team!
    Looks like they are picking up the democratization charge that RED left behind as camera prices went from $18k to $29k to $49k to $79k. RED has clearly proved they can build a high-quality camera, but with a stiff rise in cost/price.
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tiemann View Post
    Looks like they are picking up the democratization charge that RED left behind as camera prices went from $18k to $29k to $49k to $79k. RED has clearly proved they can build a high-quality camera, but with a stiff rise in cost/price.
    Big shot DP's want to shoot high priced camera's and that is not only because of the quality.

The lens set is made by Nisi, or at least it will be made by Nisi... I owned a Terra 6K up until a few weeks ago. It's a solid camera, I just wish KRW was more widely accepted. I'll probably pick up a Mavo for the price and codecs.

No word on whether the terrible monitor lag is improved or the terrible monitor quality. Think red one monitoring debayer quality and 6frames of lag on all outputs. Pretty much deal breakers despite otherwise nice cameras. Hopefully they have addressed this on mavo but not holding my breath...

Btw kinefinity cameras seem to be running on Linux I think. Saw one freeze up on what looked like an xwindows startup once.
    Noah Yuan-Vogel | noahyv.com

Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    My guess is that their target market is more BollyWood(and China, vietnam, etc..) than HollyWood. BollyWood and China are also loaded with UMP's because of the price/perf.
    In the Western world we watch movie's shot in 8k, 6.5k, 3.4k mostly on 2kDCI, in those countries they watch their local movie's shot in 6k or 4k on 2kDCI.
    Or we watch it highly compressed in FHD or UHD on Netflix, Amazon, HBO, etc...
    Most viewers won't see the difference when something is shot on RED8k and ARRI65 vs. UMP or Kinefinity and displayed on 2kDCI in theaters or highly compressed network quality FHD or UHD.

"UMP" is shorthand for "Ursa Mini Pro", if anyone else was also wondering.

The lower right hand corner of the LCD has a number which appears to be a ND filter value. If the Kinefinity Mavo has build-in ND filtering, this will make the camera more attractive to potential users.

Enjoy
    Attached Images
    Last edited by W. Bill Magac; 03-19-2018 at 09:56 AM.

I bet the lenses are these.
    http://www.bokkeh.com

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram