Thread: Kinefinity in full atack mode

Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast
    Not only that, but their Kinemount is so shallow that is supports everything (including FF35>s35 speedboosters... or in the case of Mavo LF, MediumFormat>FF35)... Plus their cameras are sub-20wh, which means rinky-dink handle batteries actually last over an hour (so think ~3.5lbs kitted with hour+ of juice) and a 100wh battery will last over 5 hours.

Admittedly, KineRAW is a bit of a question mark, but now that prores raw is here (and they've mentioned implementing it), I expect Kinefinity adoption to increase substantially in the next year (3x if they can hit the ground running... 3 years if they botch the roll out).

I still dislike their lack of presence in the west, but I'm optimistic that will change in the next year too. As for price, I kinda think it's getting a little too close to used Epic-Dragon territory for comfort and RED as a brand (ironically) holds a lot more clout/confidence (no one really knows about Kinefinity yet)...

The DJI x7 is the same sensor (rumored) to be the one in the Mavo 6K. If that's the case, it's a very good image. If the LF is a solid improvement over that image then it will likely be a great camera. The cameras do Kineraw, Cinema DNG, and Prores so there are more options there. It's mainly the Terra Cameras which only do Kineraw.

For the average person, they don't need greater than 4K or 5K recording so I think that's what I think other cameras should stick to. Any increase in photosite size is for me more important than extra resolution and without the compression of Redcode, I think 4K is the perfect resolution for a long time. I don't see Blackmagic making greater than 4.6K resolution any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Savannah Miller View Post
    For the average person, they don't need greater than 4K or 5K recording so I think that's what I think other cameras should stick to. Any increase in photosite size is for me more important than extra resolution and without the compression of Redcode, I think 4K is the perfect resolution for a long time. I don't see Blackmagic making greater than 4.6K resolution any time soon.
    Well not until next year's NAB at least :-P
    http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/ (Sound Recordist based in Auckland, NZ. Happy to travel too)
    https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar

It's not as simple as that. Increase in photosite size is good, but so is increase in resolution, Monstro is a great example of that. The downsample from larger resolution is well worth it. That's why I was a bit let down by Gemini being just 5K. I know that larger would mean a larger sensor for it, but gemini has better photosite size but the 6K resolution of Dragon makes for a better downsample.

Recording 4K for 4K on a CMOS sensor is NOT good and the myth of acquisition not needed to be higher than the delivery format needs to just go away.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

Links
    Epic Dragon & Canon CN-E street test
    Red Epic - Noise Reduction Test - Stockholm 2014
    Red Epic - Stockholm HDRx Test

Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    It's not as simple as that. Increase in photosite size is good, but so is increase in resolution, Monstro is a great example of that. The downsample from larger resolution is well worth it. That's why I was a bit let down by Gemini being just 5K. I know that larger would mean a larger sensor for it, but gemini has better photosite size but the 6K resolution of Dragon makes for a better downsample.

Recording 4K for 4K on a CMOS sensor is NOT good and the myth of acquisition not needed to be higher than the delivery format needs to just go away.
    Downsample is only better if it's actually a significant increase over the original resolution. Otherwise due to image filtering it actually looks softer. So 6K downsample to 4K works very well, but 5K from the Gemini not so much.

For ME personally, I think there's really 2 resolutions. 2K FHD and 4K which is better than 2K. So as long as your 4K image contains 3-4K worth of resolution, that's more than enough to keep everyone happy. For most things, I don't see a need in 6K and 8K recording as 3-4K of resolution is more than enough for the current viewing distances and sizes we use.

For all of the VFX I do for various network TV shows in america, they're almost all shot 4:4:4 1080p on the Arri Alexa. With the exception of the occasional paint shot looking soft, I see no problems working with 1080p prores footage and I don't even really think 4K is all that special. The amount of TV series and movies finishing in 2K shows that most of the world doesn't care yet. I feel like no one really cares about resolution beyond not lying to the customers of how much resolution you are capturing. I have NEVER seen a VFX shot returned because it looked too "soft" or didn't contain enough resolution, and likewise, I don't think any consumer will notice if something was shot 6K and downsampled vs 4K native acquisition.

I don't think any consumer will notice if something was shot 6K and downsampled vs 4K native acquisition.
    Maybe not on the big screen but on an LG OLED (C7, C8 and above) or Samsung QLed Q9 even a 72 year old can see de difference.
    One of my co-workers has a Nikon 850D and a set of Otus lenses.
    From a normal viewing distance(from the OLED C7) we couldn't see de differences between 8k and 6k acq. but with the 4k acq. is was clearly softer.

Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post

I have the same struggle with some studios that still believe in the CCD theory (no down sampling or scaling from original size for better resolution and less artefacts) and mainly don’t understand how debayer work. More res is also more color precision.

Philip Bloom tried it out

http://philipbloom.net/blog/mavo/

I see the footage and still think that from a smaller manufacturer, the 4.6K Ursa Mini sensor and color science combo is the best you can get from one of these lower cost systems. But Kinefinity do seem very aggressive in the risks they take manufacturing their cameras and pushing new technology and the Kinefinity cams are shockingly small and light. If the LF increases the dynamic range compared to their previous cameras, it might be an interesting future for the camera market.

The wireless back looks really cool.
    Last edited by Savannah Miller; 06-14-2018 at 02:19 AM.

The wireless back looks really cool.
    Still waiting for a similar solution from RED... I felt they abandonned the developpment of their tools.