Thread: Scarlet-W - Would you Purchase One today?

Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Audy Erel View Post
    Scarlet-W is more than enough for anyone who wants to make a great film for many years to come. The Super 35mm Dragon 5K sensor is beautiful, even better with IPP2. The frame rates are very versatile too.
    Totally agree with you. The SW is a great camera and will be an awesome tool for many years.
    DP/Editor - Magestic Film - Italy based production and post-production
    Scarlet-W "Esmé" + Sony A7RII

Its not a camera to make rental money off. But its a hell of a camera at any price. I still get excited seeing the DR difference to our old scarletmx. Very happy with it.

YES! It is unbelievable how good it is for television. It covered it's own cost in the first three months. I love this camera, not one issue as yet. (Although avoiding the latest upgrade until later)

I had my red MX for 4 years, and never felt "behind" in terms of quality or technology. I upgraded to a scarlet W in January, and def don't regret it. I hope to get another 4 years out of this camera, however at that point I will have to look at the market to decide what I get. It seems like many other brands are catching up at a lower price point. I wouldn't wait for NAB, just because they announce a camera, as many scarlet w owners will remind you, there was over a year long wait list, with no tangible list to know when you would actually get the camera. Just buy what you think is the best camera for you right now. Lots of scarlet W are going slightly used at great prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Butler View Post
    Its not a camera to make rental money off. But its a hell of a camera at any price. I still get excited seeing the DR difference to our old scarletmx. Very happy with it.
    Really depends in which part of the world are you, in the EU I know many people charging a nice fare on their SW, (around 350-600EURO's for a package with lenses etc), it adds up nicely in long run.

Agree with all the rest! :-)
    Oron Cohen
    Scarlet-W
    www.oroncohen.com

Quote Originally Posted by Oron Cohen View Post
    Really depends in which part of the world are you, in the EU I know many people charging a nice fare on their SW, (around 350-600EURO's for a package with lenses etc), it adds up nicely in long run.

Agree with all the rest! :-)
    I currently rent my lenses and camera for $600 / day in south florida.
    I get about 3-6 rentals a month. I bought my camera in January and have made atleast $10,000 in rentals. but the way I get it rented is I also rent lighting, and other production equipment as well. Like a one stop shop. I bought my equipment to shoot my own indie projects, so rental income has been vital. The key is to find a couple directors that are constantly shooting, and build relationships with them. If you have 5 directors that rent from you doing 2 projects a month, at $600 + a pop, well that's $6000 a month.

So... with the new upgrade path and the lowered price of the Gemini, would you buy one today ?

Quote Originally Posted by Evan Rouillard View Post
    So... with the new upgrade path and the lowered price of the Gemini, would you buy one today ?
    There is something very special about the dragon sensor. And for the price, if you don’t think about upgrades.. the SW is still a crazy crazy bananas beast of a Camera.
    I would have no issue using one ever
    WEAPON HELIUM 8K
    SCARLET-W
    LOCAL 600
    BUFFALO, N.Y
    IMDB

www.coderedpicturecompany.com

I was about to buy one tomorrow...
    I dont know what to do now, it's weird to buy a new but discontinued camera.

The Scarlet isn't discontinued though....
    Scarlet-W 9706
    Alexa Mini