Thread: Epic-W Gemini Low-Light Test Footage + R3D

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Which would have been 12,800 with the "old calibration that was used on Dragon. Kind of amazing.
    DSMC2 Helium 1402
    DSMC2 Helium 6423

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Whittier View Post
    Looking good Rand! We pushed the footage as well and 6400 was looking pretty good.
    That is great to know. How far do you think Helium would hold up? One stop worse or even more?
    www.ObergWildlife.com- Natural History Filmmaking
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    2 x RED DSCM2 8K Helium, Phantom 4K VEO990, Movi Pro Gimbal, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon 50-1000mm

Hi everybody,

I am not so much in for all of that candle light tests in generally, but with all that GEMINI hype and hoping for a nice Scarlet-W upgrade path as well.
    I did a little rough test with my MONSTRO to get a kind of feel for those GEMINI low light situations......

I think, hope the GEMINI is a great Camera/Sensor and the perfect match as a upgrade from Scarlet-W as B-Cam (sure also A-Cam) or what ever......

Doing a proper A/B Test with GEMINI hopefully soon and beside the low light capability, would be really interesting how it performs in "normal" conditions beside the MONSTRO, if its just nearly close
    to MONSTRO ( I really love how that Sensor performs in every single way) its a clear winner......

Check out that quick test and for best quality I enable the original download file option in Vimeo.

Best

Tobi

Would really like to see a few tests with Gemini - normal mode in daylight with no ND at sensor iso sweet spot and likewise at golden hour, sunset twilight, full moon evening and typical night street scene where there is no moon. It has been demonstrated that helium can provide usable results for moon lit evening. I know a7r3 provides usable results for evening street scene with no moon light (but only 8 bit!)
    Eager to know if Gemini can be used day and night just flipping on LL electronic setting or if it is low light only and you have to stack up ND to use in any other situation.
    Also hard to interpret other people’s iso acceptance - some of the comments about iso for helium and other sensors do not match my acceptance level for production quality - you have to see raw footage with your own eyes.

There is no official recommended native iso for this sensor including in LL mode, I believe.
    Just trying to decide if I should adopt as primary camera - it has high frame rates without crop of raven and also 5k for oversampling - But is it noticeably less noise than helium 8k before down Rez to 4K?

Why is there no more footage released yet!!!

Just got mine. Will hopefully be able to share some stuff soon!
    Chris McKechnie
    Director of Photography
    Email - redepicguy@gmail.com
    Reel - https://vimeo.com/314919326

Thanks in advance Chris!

Today we shot Gemini, helium, dragon, and Alexa mini at 1600-6400 for noise comparison as well as 800 ISO at key and +1 for highlight retention. Footage coming very soon.
    MARTIN WHITTIER
    Steadicam Operator | Cinematographer | Rental House Owner

CHARMCINE RENTALS
    202 Azar Ct.

Baltimore | MD | 21227
    O: (410) 656-2222
    www.charmcine.com

Ranger Monstro | DSMC2 Helium, Gemini, Dragon | Alexa Mini LF | Alexa Mini | Arri Amira | C300 I & II | C200 | Fs7 | Lomo Square Front | Supreme Primes | Summicron-C | Ultra Primes | Cooke S4 | Schneider Xenar III | Cabrio 20-120, 19-90, & 85-300 | Zeiss CP.2 | Canon 15-47, 30-105, & 30-300 | Cooke Panchro | Movi Pro

Today we shot Gemini, helium, dragon, and Alexa mini at 1600-6400 for noise comparison as well as 800 ISO at key and +1 for highlight retention. Footage coming very soon.
    Nice, excited to see some more from this camera. Got any projects lined up for it? It would be nice to see some real-world stuff and not just test shots, I'm surprised RED didn't get this into the hands of some filmmakers like they did with the Stormtrooper.
    ---
    Epic-W #001633
    www.joshbecker.net

I just added some still grabs to hold you guys over while I cut everything together.

We shot out the Red Helium, Gemini, Dragon, and Alexa mini. Here are some initial still grabs ungraded. Red from IIP2 w/ medium contrast and alexa at default 709. (Subject and chart were lit to proper exposure according to our light meter) I'll follow up with a full test comparison video soon.

I dunno if it's just me, but I can't see the stills. When I quote you on Reduser, I can see the links you tried to post. And when I navigate manually to them in a new browser tab, I get an error 403 from dropbox saying "It seems you don't belong here."

Did you enable public sharing of these photos?