Thread: Epic-W Gemini Low-Light Test Footage + R3D

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Martin, thank you for this! Could you share some r3d and arriraw mxf frames ;)
    Please!

Thanks for the tests Martin. Following.
    TEHBEN DEAN
    EPIC-X #557
    www.tehbendean.com
    I love to shoot beautiful things with cameras...

Was the Gemini in low light mode btw? I guess you would not want to shot in low light mode in ISO 800 probably but at the higher ISOs
    Great job!
    www.ObergWildlife.com- Natural History Filmmaking
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    2 x RED DSCM2 8K Helium, Phantom 4K VEO990, Movi Pro Gimbal, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon 50-1000mm

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasOberg View Post
    Was the Gemini in low light mode btw? I guess you would not want to shot in low light mode in ISO 800 probably but at the higher ISOs
    Great job!
    800 ISO in standard mode, 1600-12800 in LL mode.
    MARTIN WHITTIER
    Steadicam Operator | Cinematographer | Rental House Owner

CHARMCINE RENTALS
    202 Azar Ct.

Baltimore | MD | 21227
    O: (410) 656-2222
    www.charmcine.com

Ranger Monstro | DSMC2 Helium, Gemini, Dragon | Alexa Mini LF | Alexa Mini | Arri Amira | C300 I & II | C200 | Fs7 | Lomo Square Front | Supreme Primes | Summicron-C | Ultra Primes | Cooke S4 | Schneider Xenar III | Cabrio 20-120, 19-90, & 85-300 | Zeiss CP.2 | Canon 15-47, 30-105, & 30-300 | Cooke Panchro | Movi Pro

Any word on how many stops gemini specifies over middle grey at iso 800? Is it the same number of stops for iso 3200 in LL mode?

This test doesn't seem to reveal anything about highlights or overall dynamic range...
    Noah Yuan-Vogel | noahyv.com

What the test showed me is that I prefer the un-corrected skin tones from the Gemini over Helium and the Dragon.
    Scarlet-W 9706
    Alexa Mini

Thanks for posting the R3D!

I did a crop of the jpegs at 6400 and 12800 ISO. I'm focusing mainly on high iso situation since for us this would open up a lot of situations.

Hope you are ok with me uploading it Martin since it is of course your test :)

I recommend downloading all of the jpegs from Martin and go back and forward on a UHD TV. Our OLED TV show the differences in noise much clearer than our computer monitors.

From what I can see in this test, these are my conclusions:
    - I would not use Helium higher than 3200 in this situation which is still impressive.
    - Gemini seems usable all the way up to 12800 if you can do strong noise reduction, for example if the topic does not have a lot of detail.

If I compare Helium downsampled to UHD noise with Gemini I would say that Helium 3200 is a little bit cleaner than Gemini at 12800. That is indicating to me that downsampled to UHD Gemini is about 1 2/3 stop better than Helium. Possibly you could do more clever noise reduction on Helium since the resolution is higher.
    If you would watch Helium at 100% and Gemini at 100% I would expect Gemini to be even better, maybe even more than 2 stop better.

Considering how good Helium already is when it is dark, Gemini is a big step forward in this regard.
    Best wishes,
    Andreas
    Last edited by AndreasOberg; 04-05-2018 at 02:45 AM.
    www.ObergWildlife.com- Natural History Filmmaking
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    2 x RED DSCM2 8K Helium, Phantom 4K VEO990, Movi Pro Gimbal, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon 50-1000mm

Now that we know how good Gemini is for low light, can anyone test how well it handles highlight in standard mode please? Has DR improved over Helium above middle grey? Helium weakness is above 94IRE.

Not everyone shoots run gun one man band in the dark.
    Last edited by Thai Christen; 04-05-2018 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Add info

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasOberg View Post
    I did a crop of the jpegs at 6400 and 12800 ISO. I'm focusing mainly on high iso situation since for us this would open up a lot of situations.

Hope you are ok with me uploading it Martin since it is of course your test :)

I recommend downloading all of the jpegs from Martin and go back and forward on a UHD TV. Our OLED TV show the differences in noise much clearer than our computer monitors.

From what I can see in this test, these are my conclusions:
    - I would not use Helium higher than 3200 in this situation which is still impressive.
    - Gemini seems usable all the way up to 12800 if you can do strong noise reduction, for example if the topic does not have a lot of detail.

If I compare Helium downsampled to UHD noise with Gemini I would say that Helium 3200 is a little bit cleaner than Gemini at 12800. That is indicating to me that downsampled to UHD Gemini is about 1 2/3 stop better than Helium. Possibly you could do more clever noise reduction on Helium since the resolution is higher.
    If you would watch Helium at 100% and Gemini at 100% I would expect Gemini to be even better, maybe even more than 2 stop better.

Considering how good Helium already is when it is dark, Gemini is a big step forward in this regard.
    Best wishes,
    Andreas
    A HUGE thing as well, that if the fill lighting is exactly the same, the Gemini isn't just 'cleaner' with noise structure, but it's also getting INFORMATION that's not there on helium and Dragon. Look at Dragon and Helium, and it's just black, with noise on top, where Gemini has clear shape and skin-tone coming out of that. Even at 6400, the mustache is a clear example of more detail, even though it's less resolution.

Seriously impressive.