Thread: Is the Red One Mysterium-X sensor size actually larger than the Red Epic Mysterium-X?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Is the Red One Mysterium-X sensor size actually larger than the Red Epic Mysterium-X? 
    http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...al-Sensor-Size

Looking at the above thread, Rohan B says the Red Epic Mysterium-X sensor is: "...27.65x14.58mm at 5k 16:9, the largest recordable area..."

Now looking at the below web page, it says "The upgraded RED ONE MYSTERIUM-X sensor dimensions are 30 mm x 15 mm".

https://support.red.com/hc/en-us/art...RED-ONE-Sensor

Question:

Based on the above, is the Red One Mysterium-X sensor size physically larger than the Red Epic Mysterium-X sensor?

Any RED One user here that is able to answer the above question?
    Thanks.

Hey,

They have the same 30x15mm sensor with different 'active recording areas'. Epic MX's active area is bigger. The active size of the RED One MX was 22.12x12.44mm in 4K 16:9 (and a little wider in 4.5K Widescreen at 24.2mm wide).

Hope this helps!
    ryancglover.com
    RED ONE MX 0423
    LOMO standard speed 18,22,35,50,75
    LOMO squarefront anamorphic 35,50,80

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Glover View Post
    Hey,

They have the same 30x15mm sensor with different 'active recording areas'. Epic MX's active area is bigger. The active size of the RED One MX was 22.12x12.44mm in 4K 16:9 (and a little wider in 4.5K Widescreen at 24.2mm wide).

Hope this helps!
    Thank you Ryan! However doesn't the RED One MX use the entire 30x15mm sensor space - e.g. 4.5K RAW? Does it use the entire sensor space/size in any shooting mode?

It does not. 4.5K is only available in the widescreen shooting mode (4480x1920) I mentioned above.
    Since they both cameras have the same sensor with a known pixel size (0.0054mm) you can do the math and compare the sensor sizes for different MX record setting.
    The largest sensor area used on the RED One MX is 4k 16x9 (4096x2304).
    ryancglover.com
    RED ONE MX 0423
    LOMO standard speed 18,22,35,50,75
    LOMO squarefront anamorphic 35,50,80

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Glover View Post
    It does not. 4.5K is only available in the widescreen shooting mode (4480x1920) I mentioned above.
    Since they both cameras have the same sensor with a known pixel size (0.0054mm) you can do the math and compare the sensor sizes for different MX record setting.
    The largest sensor area used on the RED One MX is 4k 16x9 (4096x2304).
    Thanks again, I sent you a PM.

I am super confused at the "red tools" site that provides focal length differences and sensor sizes. The red one shoots 4480x1920 in 4.5k mode. But the site Red wedsite states "RED MYSTERIUM-X at 4.5K (RED ONE)" as 4480x2304 pixels. Its the last option at the very bottom. Can the red one actually shoot this resolution? is this a mistake or am I missing something?

nvm I THINK I understand. Instead of putting the modes the Red One can ACTUALLY shoot they just put the maximum area available combined for the different shooting modes. Very strange and annoying since there is no actual way to capture that entire area but still have it labeled as "(RED ONE)".