Thread: NAB 2018: Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 47 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 463
  1. #171  
    Senior Member Jacek Zakowicz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,472
    OK let's try something else
    producer/director:
    "Lets slow this action sequence to 120"
    Do you want to be the one to tell him/her you have to drop the resolution to HD and can't have wide shoot?
    Or" we have to get another camera that shoots HS"
    I just want to say "OK" ;-)
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #172  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    1,859
    I would tell him "If you want to play with the big boys, pay like the big boys".
    And when he really want to go cheap, shoot at 4k 60 fps at half the shutter time and use twixtor to get 120 fps 4k.

    And what if he/she want to color correct, there is always a reason to choose for a certain camera.
    The bulk will be shot in 24..30 fps.

    I've never heard someone complain that the Alexa couldn't shoot 120 fps at 4k.
    When you need 120 fps 4k minimum 12 bits, get an other camera(scarlet-W).
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #173  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacek Zakowicz View Post
    Hmm... so I am right with the 1.7Gbps. I take 120FPS @4K at this data rate over 60fps 4K raw any day. Who wouldn't ? What else is there that can do that? Under $20k, hell $50K? BTW I think 1.2B colors is enough for humans to see and enjoy- at least for now when we are still on 8bit displays other than editing bays......
    umm the Full size Blackmagic URSA does 120fps 4K uncompressed Raw. And that thing costs $3K. And if it's anything like the last Zcam E1 experience the images will be junk. If you can only go one camera, the blackmagic despite the different form factor is 9.9x out of 10 the better camera. There's only a few times the Z-cam is useful.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #174  
    Senior Member Jacek Zakowicz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,472
    Quote Originally Posted by Savannah Miller View Post
    umm the Full size Blackmagic URSA does 120fps 4K uncompressed Raw. And that thing costs $3K. And if it's anything like the last Zcam E1 experience the images will be junk. If you can only go one camera, the blackmagic despite the different form factor is 9.9x out of 10 the better camera. There's only a few times the Z-cam is useful.
    I did not know that. But if you go by the Alexa mini popularity and value vs Alexa classic the form factor today seems important. You can get an F65 8K cam for under $10k including the VF.
    Why? Because it's a beast that goes through data storage like there is no tomorrow. Apparently nobody cares about the RAW or the 16 bits.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-F65-Di...AAAOSw~T9aWQc4
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #175  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    Gonna need lots of ND for native ISO3200 plus a 1.33 stop increase FF35 focal reducer...

    It's dual Native ISO 400 and 3200. If you look at the charts the dynamic range distribution is more favorable on the 400iso end so it's actually not bad because with a speedbooster that's more/less like an 800iso equivalent. Biggest issue with this cam is despite the cheap price point you will either invest in more expensive Micro 4/3 glass or use EF lenses with a speedbooster XL. With a speedbooster only full-frame lenses will work due to the large sensor size.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #176  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacek Zakowicz View Post
    I did not know that. But if you go by the Alexa mini popularity and value vs Alexa classic the form factor today seems important. You can get an F65 8K cam for under $10k including the VF.
    Why? Because it's a beast that goes through data storage like there is no tomorrow. Apparently nobody cares about the RAW or the 16 bits.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-F65-Di...AAAOSw~T9aWQc4
    Yeah there becomes a certain point where datarate is just too much. The Ursa Mini 4K can probably also do 4K at 120fps but I feel they won't add the feature because it will undersell some of their Ursa Mini Pro models where the sensor cannot do that.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #177  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2,289
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacek Zakowicz View Post
    OK let's try something else
    producer/director:
    "Lets slow this action sequence to 120"
    Do you want to be the one to tell him/her you have to drop the resolution to HD and can't have wide shoot?
    Or" we have to get another camera that shoots HS"
    I just want to say "OK" ;-)
    um, that doesnt actually happen on a set without discussion during prep if there is going to be any high speed and if so this is what we are dealing with. if someone has hired you with a particular camera that has limitations, then limitations are discussed far in advance. plus, if someone hired you with a pocketcam, then they get what they get!
    have to say though, i preordered mine!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #178  
    Senior Member Jacek Zakowicz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,472
    Of course they do. But I've been on too many film sets when art happens on the spot... remember- pen and pencil- that's where we are going...
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #179  
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Queens
    Posts
    60
    Pre-ordered yesterday - excited to see how it cuts in with our Epic-W & UMP!
    RED: Scarlet X #05147 "Virchow" -> Scarlet Dragon "Morris" -> Epic-W "Buddy"
    Other Cameras: C100 mkII | URSA Mini Pro | Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera (x2) | Panasonic GX8 | Panasonic GH2

    www.lupoblu.com
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #180  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,157
    Quote Originally Posted by Emanuel A. View Post
    The tonality on the skin is not quite there, the color is a bit funny, and not as nice as the old pocket, and where is the girl getting her green eyebrows from. I don't know what was done to these images, but how conformable do you guys think it should be to normal image expectations in grading.
    An explorer explores new ideas and things, but somebody stuck in mud, complains.
    - But the explorer complains about how much better the territory he has discovered is instead.

    -Since when has denying that the possible is possible been reason? Such is the life of some skepticism.
    -Normalcy involves what is realistically possible, not just what you say.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts