Thread: NAB 2018: Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K

Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 47 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast
Results 191 to 200 of 463
  1. #191  
    Senior Member Sabyasachi Patra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New Delhi, Bangalore, India
    Posts
    559
    I would like to hear people who have had the camera in their hands at NAB or in testing. Actual impressions please.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #192  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    6,157
    +1. But more better frames too, if possible. They tell a lot.
    An explorer explores new ideas and things, but somebody stuck in mud, complains.
    - But the explorer complains about how much better the territory he has discovered is instead.

    -Since when has denying that the possible is possible been reason? Such is the life of some skepticism.
    -Normalcy involves what is realistically possible, not just what you say.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #193  
    cross-examiner
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,504
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Morellini View Post
    What's the point Emmanuel? We all lived through multiple generations of Red sensor raw feature grading, and as far as I know I was the first person to pick up on it here before it was finally fixed in dragon and helium. Maybe it is the low light iso mode making it stand out, but the grade above reduces it a lot. I can still see it, but low enough for certain levels of work. You many pickup I'm reosying yonpe9pkes belief that
    tthe pockets are really only suitabkr for narrative related work (which I hope not). Seriously why do you think people prefer the Alexa over red for years, one reason is better picture not doing things like this. And being obscure in your comments at this stage doesn't help. I'm not psychic you know.
    Wayne, the point is what you've just said. That's only a mere grade from a pre-production unit to not call it prototype. How can a photoshop grade from a grab tell so much about anything?! I don't even find anything wrong there anyways... : ) You, the guy of innovation himself to approach in a conservative manner on a revolutionary product coming from your own land, that puzzles me, Aussie boy (frankly, long live to Aussies and your Italian surname tells too little now for this matter, of course : )) Without mention people struggle to get decent V-Log L skin tones from 10-bit. Let alone when RAW 12-bit pops up at that price range, to come here and read that from you, the Ambarella supporter number one. Don't forget that I am just one of your loyal readers for more than... how long today? I guess for a decade and a half or so, now! (E :-)
    RED ONE @home
    #111
    Emanuel & Co's RED ONE
    #647
    RED ZOOM LENSES
    #156
    #157
    RED 300mm LENS
    #82
    Who am I?

    * LINK *
    ** IMDb **
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #194  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    440
    The image from those two stills is more than enough to do what one wants with it. Certainly more robust than many images I have seen from BM over the years.
    My only concern is a lack of nuance in the skin tones. You will see they look very even and uniform, but are slightly lacking in separation in the cheeks for instance, on the foreams etc. A tendancy towards "woodenness"` is always a concern of mine with BM. This shows up as a kind of greyness in the highiights of skintones. However, it is difficult to tell how much makeup they are wearing and the intention of whoever did the grade. Basically human beings have more blotchy skin than this (or delicate skin in the case of children). I also see too much contrast in the drink cart behind them by whoever did one of the later grades in the thread and a few other minor concerns. However, frankly I think on balance it looks damn good considering the size of the sensor, and as people who know me will confirm, I am generally a pretty fierce critic of BM (I am a colorist), but I definitely like where I see things going from this cam. Double ISO is going to open up new horizons for them. Further I think the acuity of the image is really quite excellent. I would have no problems accepting materiel from this camera.

    I want to underline however, that it still is a camera for controlled environments. These images have been very carefully metered and lit. If you think that these are the results you will obtain as a walkaround cam, you may be in for a bit of a surprise.
    Last edited by C. Burkhart; 04-12-2018 at 12:33 AM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #195  
    Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Melbourne AU
    Posts
    2,067
    Quote Originally Posted by C. Burkhart View Post
    I would have no problems accepting materiel from this camera.
    I'm very impressed as well.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Unsplash | Pinterest | Flickr | Instagram | 1961 (blog)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #196  
    Senior Member Zeb B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    In The Moment
    Posts
    4,935
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Lochert View Post
    Super clean at 3200 ISO.





    Still catching some moire in the guy's jeans by his right knee, though.
    Dang!
    -Zeb
    FAA 333 Drone Ace
    6K Drone Worldwide
    Underwater Shooter
    RED in Hawaii w/Operator
    www.Stock8K.com
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #197  
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Las Vegas NV
    Posts
    54
    https://youtu.be/Czu8fIBJfcI
    I taped some footage with my phone. Not sure if it could help.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #198  
    Quote Originally Posted by C. Burkhart View Post
    My only concern is a lack of nuance in the skin tones.
    You can't judge that based on this shot.

    Light, make up, 3200ISO rating, wide shot, grade.

    Quote Originally Posted by C. Burkhart View Post
    I also see too much contrast in the drink cart behind them by whoever did one of the later grades in the thread and a few other minor concerns.
    Drink cart has a different light source, harder and stronger, man and woman more subtle soft light.

    Quote Originally Posted by C. Burkhart View Post
    I want to underline however, that it still is a camera for controlled environments. These images have been very carefully metered and lit. If you think that these are the results you will obtain as a walkaround cam, you may be in for a bit of a surprise.
    Exactly.
    As with every other camera interior show presentation.



    Btw those shots seem as if passed through noise reduction.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #199  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    440
    Quote Originally Posted by Hrvoje Simic View Post
    You can't judge that based on this shot.

    Light, make up, grade.



    Drink cart has a harder and stronger light on it, man and woman more subtle soft light.



    Exactly.
    As with every other camera interior/show presentation.



    Btw those shots seem as if passed through noise reduction.
    I recognize that there is light makeup and a grade. However, what I am referring to is the greyness of the guys hand (supporting his head). This is typically where I have trouble finding a healthy skin tone. I'm not saying it's not there in the original files, it's just those are my areas of concern, because it means going in to do a secondary to a zone like this, which is of course time consuming. Also as you will notice the faces take on a kind of even orangey/brown tone, with little variation in the skin tones. But you know what, this is probably the makeup, so huge grain of salt as to what I am saying. I do very much like the acuity of the images though. It's a good texture and the contrast level seem very healthy as well.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #200  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hrvoje Simic View Post


    Btw those shots seem as if passed through noise reduction.
    I think the 400 and 3200 mode (this shot is 3200) are extremely clean. On top of that I believe the shot was slightly overexposed and the noise further reduced. And being that it's likely a well-lit scene and the ISO was unnecessarily high (likely fast shutter or something) there is no noise. The 6400 images do look to have considerably more noise but the patterning looks more even than that of the Ursa Mini Pro which has vertical clumping.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts