Thread: Davinci Resolve 15 Beta Now Available!

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 82 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
    New hardware config guide is kind of crappy for Windows and Linux users.
    Well to be honest, it's really crappy.

Haven't seen anything about a fix for the above 16c/32t slowdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    New hardware config guide is kind of crappy for Windows and Linux users.
    Well to be honest, it's really crappy.

Haven't seen anything about a fix for the above 16c/32t slowdown.
    I figured it 'may' have been fixed since the HP machine recommended would def suffer from the slowdown?..

Will test next week and report...
    Michael Lindsay

my studio Instagram

So far for me...

Clicking the Fusion tab crashes Resolve.

The IPP2 "Output Tone Map" and "Highlight Roll Off" dropdown menus do nothing if the "Gamma Curve" is set to Log3G10.

4K H264 Export still has compression artifacts.

I'm on Windows 10, i7-3930K, 32GB RAM, 1x GTX 770 4GB
    Filmmaker, Actor
    Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | YouTube
    Epic-X Dragon #08468 | Sigma Art 35/1.4, 50/1.4, Rokinon 85/1.4

Beta software.

Quote Originally Posted by Akin A View Post
    The IPP2 "Output Tone Map" and "Highlight Roll Off" dropdown menus do nothing if the "Gamma Curve" is set to Log3G10.
    That's expected. The tone mapping controls in the IPP2 workflow are specifically for mapping to a display format. If you're going bare Log3G10, then you're not mapping to anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Lochert View Post
    That's expected. The tone mapping controls in the IPP2 workflow are specifically for mapping to a display format. If you're going bare Log3G10, then you're not mapping to anything.
    I've watched the IPP2 videos on RED's youtube channel to understand how to use IPP2 in RCX. Maybe there's a disconnect on how this process is done in Resolve.

In RCX, when you set Image Pipeline to "IPP2," the "Image:Primary" section's Color Space is automatically (and unchangeable) set to REDWideGamutRGB and the Gamma Curve is automatically (and unchangeable) set to Log3G10.
    In Edit -> Preferences -> Image Pipeline -> IPP2 Monitoring, the Color Space is set to "REC 709" and Gamma Curve is set to "BT1886" by default.
    In "Image: Output Transform," the Output Tone Map and Highlight Roll-Off dropdown menus apply the chosen contrast/roll-off.

What is the equivalent process in Resolve?

In Resolve, in the Color-> Camera Raw tab, when you set the Color Science to "IPP2," the other options in the tab change. At this point, has the "starting point" automatically been set to RWG/Log3G10 behind the scenes (The way RCX does)?
    I was thinking that I have to manually set it to RWG/Log3G10.
    Are the "Color Space" and "Gamma Curve" options in the Camera Raw tab equivalent to RCX's Preferences-> Image Pipeline -> "IPP2 Monitoring"?

That seems to be the case now that I've played around with it some more.
    Filmmaker, Actor

Quote Originally Posted by Akin A View Post
    I've watched the IPP2 videos on RED's youtube channel to understand how to use IPP2 in RCX. Maybe there's a disconnect on how this process is done in Resolve.

In RCX, when you set Image Pipeline to "IPP2," the "Image:Primary" section's Color Space is automatically (and unchangeable) set to REDWideGamutRGB and the Gamma Curve is automatically (and unchangeable) set to Log3G10.
    In Edit -> Preferences -> Image Pipeline -> IPP2 Monitoring, the Color Space is set to "REC 709" and Gamma Curve is set to "BT1886" by default.
    In "Image: Output Transform," the Output Tone Map and Highlight Roll-Off dropdown menus apply the chosen contrast/roll-off.

What is the equivalent process in Resolve?

In Resolve, in the Color-> Camera Raw tab, when you set the Color Science to "IPP2," the other options in the tab change. At this point, has the "starting point" automatically been set to RWG/Log3G10 behind the scenes (The way RCX does)?
    I was thinking that I have to manually set it to RWG/Log3G10.
    Are the "Color Space" and "Gamma Curve" options in the Camera Raw tab equivalent to RCX's Preferences-> Image Pipeline -> "IPP2 Monitoring"?

That seems to be the case now that I've played around with it some more.
    When selecting IPP2 and Rec709/BT1886 in Resolve, yes, it's already doing the RWG/Log3g10 primary step behind the scenes. So that's why the tone mapping controls work if you select a display format in the RAW tab.

That said, if you do any actual grading in Resolve, all of those adjustments will come after the output transform that gets applied in the RAW tab, which is counter to RED's design of how IPP2 functions. The Output Transform is supposed to be the LAST thing you do.

If you set the clip to RWG/Log3g10, you're telling Resolve to skip the Output Transform process and just spit out the Primrary Raw Development, which means you'll have to manually appy an Output Transform, either via a LUT at the end of the node chain, or in the project settings for "3D Output Lookup Table."

All of this said, Resolve's color wheels aren't exactly mapped right to work very well with Log3g10 material anyway, so some people are getting good results doing the grading after the Output Transform, though at that point you're not following the correct order of operations.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobi Rupp View Post
    Hi Rand, great and thx for that info !!!!

Do you know if its possible to install the 15 Beta and the release 14.3 on the same machine (Studio Version on OS X High Sierra ) I remember in the old days it works .....not quit sure ....
    Rename Resolve Studio folder to something like Resolve Studio 14.
    Install the new Resolve 15, start it and when it asks to update database DON'T! Create a NEW database and you can then use both versions, one at a time.
    Jake Blackstone
    Colorist
    Los Angeles
    MOD Color Web Site
    Demo Reel

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Lochert View Post
    When selecting IPP2 and Rec709/BT1886 in Resolve, yes, it's already doing the RWG/Log3g10 primary step behind the scenes. So that's why the tone mapping controls work if you select a display format in the RAW tab.

That said, if you do any actual grading in Resolve, all of those adjustments will come after the output transform that gets applied in the RAW tab, which is counter to RED's design of how IPP2 functions. The Output Transform is supposed to be the LAST thing you do.

If you set the clip to RWG/Log3g10, you're telling Resolve to skip the Output Transform process and just spit out the Primrary Raw Development, which means you'll have to manually appy an Output Transform, either via a LUT at the end of the node chain, or in the project settings for "3D Output Lookup Table."

All of this said, Resolve's color wheels aren't exactly mapped right to work very well with Log3g10 material anyway, so some people are getting good results doing the grading after the Output Transform, though at that point you're not following the correct order of operations.
    Thanks for explaining. If Resolve adds some sort of indicator that RWG/Log3G10 is being applied behind the scenes, that would clear up the confusion.
    Filmmaker, Actor

Stoked to try this out. I just purchased davinchi 14 serial number version. Will this serial work to activate studio version of 15? If so where do I input the serial, can't seem to find it.

Thanks for your time!
    Daniel Kelly Brown
    www.danielkellybrown.com