Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Update... 4-12-2018

Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 94 FirstFirst ... 162223242526272829303676 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeburton View Post
    Hi Jim,
    I appreciate the response. Yes, the 2D Cinema module is exactly what I want. I know I don’t get to choose but Im concerned with the timing ultimately of that module and if we’ll even see that module before H2 is released? About the interest on the money, I’m not concerned about the minimal gains but more so how I could invest this money into something else that could be making me money today. Regardless, my initial knee jerk reaction when you opened the Pre-Orders was to trust that you’d deliver a product that I would be excited about being a champion on its behalf. That was how it was with RED ONE and I did very well in that regard. I really think you should reconsider the timeline of this 2D Cinema module as it appears to be less of a priority based on other posts. This module would make it all be worth the wait for me and others I’ve had conversations with. 4v maybe awesome but as you suggested I haven’t seen it yet and therefor don’t know / care what I’m missing...yet. What I do care for is having the “BEST” pocket camera on the market for which I could pull out anywhere the moment arises to capture RED quality imagery of. I could put that to use straight away and learn as I go what to do with 4v as I anticipate it will take time to learn what it’s purpose really becomes for me.
    I realize this may not be priority right now or what you envision but I hope you understand and can appreciate my honesty. I know I’m not alone in this thinking so I figure I’d relay the message / concern of myself and colleagues I’ve spoken with.
    Exactly my thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by emil_h View Post
    Dont you find it slightly funny how you preordered a model 3 for $1000 but had to plunk down 1500 for the Hydrogen?
    Being a average Joe, I put down $3,190 for 2x Ti models. Not including whatever the modules will cost. To me it is well worth the risk considering the innovation and vision being put into the hydrogen project

Dont you find it slightly funny how you preordered a model 3 for $1000 but had to plunk down 1500 for the Hydrogen?
    No, why should I have found it funny?

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher bell View Post
    Being a average Joe, I put down $3,190 for 2x Ti models. Not including whatever the modules will cost. To me it is well worth the risk considering the innovation and vision being put into the hydrogen project

Same here, and as I said before: compared to the other phones available on the market, the Hydrogen One is an incredible value in my opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by John Doyle View Post

I respect your point of view, and your Product Manager cred is far great than mine ever was. When I worked as one, my CEO had zero interest in building anything for the long-term and it frustrated (and tortured) the hell out of me. I really believed in what we had done and where we could take it. It's true that it's possible to develop and bring things to market too soon, but the H1's inherently shareable screen tech is an idea whose time has come, and that is about to become readily apparent with the adoption of VR HMDs.

John, I don't see myself as a telco Product Manager cred. But I appreciate your kind words, thank you.

Being at the front of the telco tech for more than a decade, I know exactly how enthusiastic one can get when it comes to new technology. Especially if YOU are at the frontier. Nevertheless, how many times have my team and I developed something we thought was super cool but then had to pull off because either market was not there yet or did not received as expected or marketing numbers didn't add up. It can get frustrating with the time. Thus, I have learned my lessons and approach new tech in a more pragmatical way ever since then. That's all.

But I must admit, it is fun to watch how people get so exited about Hydrogen.

That's always been RED's MO: They love have folks show a level of blind trust and loyalty and then reward that behavior with special treatment. RED products have always been in short supply since operational perfection and mass production has never been a priority. They are a boutique, exclusive, private company who answers to no one.

Tesla approach is different since they feel they have a product in which demand will always outpace supply regardless of pouring billions into Mega Factories. I put a deposit on four PowerWall 2 batteries a year ago for my studio. Installation is going to be complete this coming week. Pretty stoked to have that done.

Both approaches seem to benefit the brand is seems and reflect the owner's personal view of their company.
    -Zeb
    FAA 333 Drone Ace
    6K Drone Worldwide
    Underwater Shooter
    RED in Hawaii w/Operator
    www.Stock8K.com

Quote Originally Posted by Thai Christen View Post

But I must admit, it is fun to watch how people get so exited about Hydrogen.
    From what I have been able to glean from reading every comment on every thread on this forum about the RH1, everyone who has seen one ordered one, everyone who was aware of it on time and understood it ordered one, or wanted to, and probably will when they see it and everyone who becomes aware of it is keenly interested in it.

I see this as pretty much analogous to the first TV. Its likely to spread like that story about the King, the mathematician, the chess board and the grain of wheat.

Pretty much every one who sees one is going to get one or find a way to get one.

And this, added to the fact that the experience of it cannot be done by proxy. A picture of the display will not convey anything meaningful.

Which brings us back to everyone who has seen one ordered one.

And once the pre-orders are in people's hands, orders will likely be ahead of capacity.

Telcos will hold all night events.

And the world probably really will change. Clubs will form to watch old 2D films in 15 years from now. It will be romantic. Like watching Errol Flynn or Mae West films now. But no one would want that to be the norm again.

Remote control surgery makes more sense if there is an accurate spatial representation to guide a surgeon controlling a robot. Lives will be saved.

Personally the only downside I have is trying to control my excitement to not let it be reshaped into disappointment about the delay. But the reasons given make perfect sense.

And yes, I think people would have been somewhat bitter if they had got a prototype ontime that was on the border of practicality, to find out that a mark II was available 4 months later that was far better and less expensive in that it did things without an additional module.

Everything is as it should be.

I have a shoot booked for June which is a flash mob of the dance-music variety which I am hoping to shoot with the Hydrogens that I ordered. But if they arent here by then, the gear I have will do fine and Im positive that when i do get them, Ill find lots and lots to do with them.

This really is the most fun and the most anxiety I have had ever waiting for something that I can remember. Its good to be part of something like this.

So thank you all at Red for taking the risk and doing the work, and for everyone on the forum for being so informative and entertaining. This has been quite a ride already. And it feels like we are in the home stretch now. We have a time frame. 'Well before an August launch' seems good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by James Cohen View Post
    From what I have been able to glean from reading every comment on every thread on this forum about the RH1, everyone who has seen one ordered one, everyone who was aware of it on time and understood it ordered one, or wanted to, and probably will when they see it and everyone who becomes aware of it is keenly interested in it.

I see this as pretty much analogous to the first TV. Its likely to spread like that story about the King, the mathematician, the chess board and the grain of wheat.

Pretty much every one who sees one is going to get one or find a way to get one.

And this, added to the fact that the experience of it cannot be done by proxy. A picture of the display will not convey anything meaningful.

Which brings us back to everyone who has seen one ordered one.

And once the pre-orders are in people's hands, orders will likely be ahead of capacity.

Telcos will hold all night events.

And the world probably really will change. Clubs will form to watch old 2D films in 15 years from now. It will be romantic. Like watching Errol Flynn or Mae West films now. But no one would want that to be the norm again.

Remote control surgery makes more sense if there is an accurate spatial representation to guide a surgeon controlling a robot. Lives will be saved.

Personally the only downside I have is trying to control my excitement to not let it be reshaped into disappointment about the delay. But the reasons given make perfect sense.

And yes, I think people would have been somewhat bitter if they had got a prototype ontime that was on the border of practicality, to find out that a mark II was available 4 months later that was far better and less expensive in that it did things without an additional module.

Everything is as it should be.

I have a shoot booked for June which is a flash mob of the dance-music variety which I am hoping to shoot with the Hydrogens that I ordered. But if they arent here by then, the gear I have will do fine and Im positive that when i do get them, Ill find lots and lots to do with them.

This really is the most fun and the most anxiety I have had ever waiting for something that I can remember. Its good to be part of something like this.

So thank you all at Red for taking the risk and doing the work, and for everyone on the forum for being so informative and entertaining. This has been quite a ride already. And it feels like we are in the home stretch now. We have a time frame. 'Well before an August launch' seems good enough for me.
    You make a lot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Jannard View Post
    It can't be ios. What would you like?
    https://sailfishos.org/

10.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    For those who are nervous... let me see if I can offer some comfort.

We have no idea whatsoever what we are doing.

We have never built a phone. No one ever tried to integrate a 4-view display in anything before. When we started this project we didn't know any cell carriers or anything about the cell phone industry. When we launch... the product won't be complete. There will be more firmware/software updates than any other phone ever made. We are learning as we go. Truly, we have no business entering this market.

If that makes you uncomfortable... all I can say is this is exactly the same situation we were in when we announced the RED ONE. We had no idea what we were doing, no clue about the cinema industry, etc. "What does a sunglass guy know about high end cameras?".

You have the right to be nervous. I am. Same as in 2006 when we started to build our 1st camera. But I saw the need to push forward with something better... as I do now. This is the single most exciting thing I have ever worked on. I get that my reputation is on the line. Perfect.

If you are nervous at all, as you have the right to be... sit it out and wait. No shame in that. If you want to jump on and enjoy the ride from the beginning... welcome aboard. I won't forget who took the leap of faith.

Jim
    "The camera is arguably one of the most important of all inventions… it is the single tool that has the ability to stop time, record history, generate art, tell stories, and communicate messages that transcend language like nothing else ever conceived."

"Everything in life changes... including our camera specs and delivery dates..."

We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone with a bad attitude.