Thread: Phil's NAB Journal 2018

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Karim D. Ghantous View Post
    Would it be fair to say that there are too many lens manufacturers? Not that there's anything wrong with that from a customer's POV! Every little bit of differentiation helps. But many of them don't seem to offer anything unique, really. Then again, I'm not really in a position to make that kind of judgment.

Phil, highlight of Red User, thank you. Always a fantastic and thoughtful read.

Karim, i was't there but also around:

- red shelled M mount lenses from Kipon designed by IB/E, this could be really interesting
    - SLRMagic new set of light weight Micro Primes, sadly designed for E mount but full frame in cine housing
    - SLRMagic HyperPrimes with a 32mm now (these IMHO are the lenses to look for because they appear to offer a different APO look for an amazing price)
    - There are some plasticy looking cine (well...) primes from sky beam
    - There's the 'new' anamorphics posted on reducer as a tease, have no idea who's behind them
    - There's the redone B&L lenses from Brian Caldwell and housed in Zero Optiks.
    - Gemini S35 lenses too

IMHO you're right. I feel the HyperPrime APOs are unique, i love the look

The MicroPrimes are a lovely idea but sadly not for us unless they M mount them. Like Veydra. If i could i would use Leica M Mounts but they're just too small and fiddly.

cheers
    Paul

Another new brand of cine lenses:

Last edited by Billy Jim; 04-14-2018 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Freek Zonderland View Post
    Thanks Phil! Nice roundup and useful to hear your first thoughts as well.
    Regarding the Teradek stuff, as much as I’m a fan of RT motion’s stuff and the teradek bolt system, every single piece of Teradek gear i’ve owned had to be repaired at least twice within the first year. Same goes for all things SMALLHD, I’m a bit afraid that with all the integrations (although looking very neat) I’ll be shipping my gear back to them at least twice as often.
    Wow. That sounds like some very bad luck. I literally have an original DP-1 that still works.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jim View Post
    Another new brand of cine lenses:
    I'm really sad I couldn't find these. They had one up on a camera at the Tilta booth for a bit, but by the time I got there it was gone.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Thanks Phil. I really need to fly over next year, sounds fun
    www.driftwoodcinema.com

Thanks Phil for the report!

What about the on screen scales for Teradek RT??

Please tell us how it's implemented! ;-)

Are metadata read from Cooke /i contacts or EF pins and transmitted to the RTMotion controller and displayed and its OLED screen?
    TOMMASO ALVISI | tommasoalvisi.com
    Weapon 6K Carbon Fiber #1605 aka qp
    instagram | twitter

I would add to the list the Z-Cam E2 announcement:

*Sony 4/3 CMOS Sensor
    *4K @120fps, 10 bit color, H.264 & H.265 (10 bit)
    *4K 60fps SDI 12G (optional accessory)
    *Global shutter variant to be available soon
    *$1,999 pre-order

http://www.z-cam.com/e2/

Looks like a specialty camera, but could really come in useful where you need a small form factor camera. Curious to see some footage how well it performs. Mentions 13.5 stops DR.
    Last edited by Maximilian Schmige; 04-14-2018 at 06:45 PM.
    Director of Photograhy
    schmige.net | instagram

I will simply say thank you Phil for doing what you do for us..... I am not sure people appreciate the time and effort involved

Merci mon ami

Thank you soooooo much Phil.
    It’s so nice you give us these highlights to help us all who didn’t go or can not go to see what’s going on in the tech ��
    Awesome review.
    Epic Forged Monstro (Camera 101)
    Epic X (Tribal)
    mindsetmedia@mac.com
    https://vimeo.com/user4448312
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/russfill/

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lyons Collister, ASC View Post
    I will simply say thank you Phil for doing what you do for us..... I am not sure people appreciate the time and effort involved

Merci mon ami
    Thank you Peter and thanks to all of you. It's always nice to stomp the occasionally padded carpet at NAB to figure out what's going on. For a long time NAB attender/participant it's absolutely fascinating seeing what has changed now that things are sort of normalizing on the 4K and 4K+ acquisition front. Many are taking a page from RED's book in explaining the benefits of oversampling. The professional brands appear to be locked in with RED, Arri, Sony, Panasonic, and Canon. On that front, not much as changed. All of those manufacturers offer 4K or 4K+ cameras and most of those manufacturers offer a larger than Super 35mm format size body, minus Panasonic who will likely come to the party late due to their investment in S35 and MFT.

What's impressive to me is RED really pushed ahead first, rather boldly I might add, into the VistaVision concept and I'm glass they heralded the VV namesake considering it's the largest image circle of all of the VV, LF, FF, etc. bodies.

The other interesting thing for me is the support from manufacturers in these UHD 4K and 8K times for the Super 35mm format. RED's now offering Helium 8K, Gemini 5K, and previously Dragon 6K through 5K in S35. Monstro can also be used in 6K through 5K as it's the same pixel pitch as Dragon; just a whole lot more color, tonality, and linearity. All of these are capable of delivering 4K material and Helium is of course able to deliver 8K. That's a full line-up of sensor technologies, formats, and camera bodies that's a very different mindset in comparison to the rest of the manufacturers' efforts. Which I think is great.

To that point for standard production, Canon's C700 FF is a larger cut of the previous sensor, so S35 is 4K resolution, just a hair larger than S35 actually. Sony also has 4K in S35 (just a bit smaller than S35). And that's where the question mark is for Arri as they've stayed with the Alev III sensor (which is fine), but there are certainly questions to be raised in regards 4K production and S35 format in that ecosystem. We'll see how they go from here, but I personally would expect a 6K sensor from them one day, but for now the LF is the premium ride in their camp.

RED to me has done the best in keeping to the film format to resolution relevance and we are of course now outresolving motion picture film for a long while now.

The value assessment and featureset across camera price points are also fascinating to me on the larger format and S35 front. Not to mention the variation in camera size and weight as well as max frame rates.

From here it's going to be interesting to see where everybody goes. I feel strongly that in some ways the next level is "tricky" for every manufacturer. But we'll have to see.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

This NAB was the first one that I've missed for many years, due to my wife giving birth to new twins. Thank you so much Phil for filling us in...as always. The next best thing to being there!
    Paul Kalbach

RED Weapon-Helium#4580, RedOne-MX #1693, RedOne-MX #10062

www.ArtichokePro.com
    www.RedZephyrCam.com