Thread: DEAR RED, CAN WE GET THIS BATTERY THING HANDLED?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    Sad to see how red push forward so hard and while doing so leaving things like this without providing a fix for it. Some paid 80k usd for their DSMC2 brains and bought quite a few items to go with it. Timecode fail on reboot does not fit under such pricetag. One thinks that they atleast could provide a video how to swap the battery or what ever.
    Here's a link to a video for DSMC1 replacement. But I think DSMC2's work-around is...<checks notes>... to leave the camera running for ~36hours!!? Facepalm.

To be fair, since you can recharge the battery of DSMC2s, most probably wouldn't opt to open up a ~$15k~$50k camera that is still being serviced (and potentially still under warranty). On the flip side, yeah, it's pretty weak that RED didn't make the clock battery compartment externally accessible with DSMC2 (and certainly Komodo).
    Last edited by Mike P.; 09-19-2020 at 11:44 AM.

Include a tentacle to jam sync after shutdown if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    On the flip side, yeah, it's pretty weak that RED didn't make the clock battery compartment externally accessible with DSMC2 (and certainly Komodo).
    Is that official that there's no accessible compartment on the Komodo? I did see something that looks like it could be a battery compartment on the underside of the camera that was shown in a schematic drawing provided by RED. As of yet, I heard nothing confirmed by RED or any of the camera owners.

Brian Timmons
    BRITIM/MEDIA
    If you love comic books please support the GoFundMe for
    Hy Eisman: A Life in Comics documentary

www.britim-media.com
    IMDB

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Timmons View Post
    Is that official that there's no accessible compartment on the Komodo? I did see something that looks like it could be a battery compartment on the underside of the camera that was shown in a schematic drawing provided by RED. As of yet, I heard nothing confirmed by RED or any of the camera owners.

Brian Timmons
    BRITIM/MEDIA
    OH, good point. I seem to recall someone asking in the huge thread and there was no response (which I may have presumed was a "no"). So definitely not confirmed either way... There are enough Komodos out now that someone should have an answer though.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Timmons View Post

Brian Timmons
    BRITIM/MEDIA

It’s not a user replaceable battery compartment. It goes to some sort of diagnostic port, you’re not supposed to open the cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Cole Sprague View Post
    It’s not a user replaceable battery compartment. It goes to some sort of diagnostic port, you’re not supposed to open the cover.
    Le Sigh. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Cole Sprague View Post
    Thanks for the heads up Cole.

Yes- Mike P. I agree .

Komodo is damn near like a smart phone so perhaps there's a nice wireless way it can re-sync time via (bluetooth or wifi).
    RED?

Brian Timmons
    BRITIM/MEDIA
    If you love comic books please support the GoFundMe for
    Hy Eisman: A Life in Comics documentary

www.britim-media.com
    IMDB

You can replace the DSMC 1 battery yourself it's trivially easy.
    Epic Dragon #4048

I changed the internal battery in my Epic Dragon my self, by following the instructions in the write up and checking youtube for some instructie videos. At first I was a bit nerveus, but once I opened the camera there was no way back... My conclusions: not to difficult to DIY.

Quote Originally Posted by Willem Berents View Post
    I changed the internal battery in my Epic Dragon my self, by following the instructions in the write up and checking youtube for some instructie videos. At first I was a bit nerveus, but once I opened the camera there was no way back... My conclusions: not to difficult to DIY.
    It's definitely much (muuuuuuuch) easier than the DIY Interchangeable OLPF upgrade install... That had me sweatin'.