Thread: Red will not sell lens parts to me and I am a kens technician

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Red will not sell lens parts to me and I am a kens technician 
    Not sure why Red will not sell parts to their lenses for lens techs to do repairs in house. I recently had to send a 17-50mm for a simple shroud upgrade and they charged $ 250 but made us send the lens in and took over a month to perform the upgrade. Absolutely ridiculous.

Red, can you explain this? Why so stubborn about this issue. It is simply a retainer ring and 3 screws.

I work with Zeiss, cooke, Angenieux, Canon, etc. all will send me parts but not you Red.
    Steve Gal
    Du-All Camera
    http://www.duallcamera.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Gal View Post
    Not sure why Red will not sell parts to their lenses for lens techs to do repairs in house. I recently had to send a 17-50mm for a simple shroud upgrade and they charged $ 250 but made us send the lens in and took over a month to perform the upgrade. Absolutely ridiculous.

Red, can you explain this? Why so stubborn about this issue. It is simply a retainer ring and 3 screws.

I work with Zeiss, cooke, Angenieux, Canon, etc. all will send me parts but not you Red.
    I'm no expert, but could be because they stopped making lenses. Not sure. But certainly a possibility.

Hope all is well Steve!
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

All is well nick thanks.

But if they have the shroud parts in stock I cannot see that as a reason.
    Steve Gal
    Du-All Camera
    http://www.duallcamera.com

My guess (and it is a complete guess) is that even thought red probably owned the IP or part of the IP on their lenses they did not make them and there is a service agreement aspect to the deal made to get them manufactured . Red may just be honouring that deal...

Just a guess?
    Michael Lindsay

my studio Instagram

I don't think RED is set up for replacement parts sales other than complete components.
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment

I imagine it's the same deal like with Apple. They won't sell you a part regardless if you're a tech or certified tech.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wahba View Post
    I imagine it's the same deal like with Apple. They won't sell you a part regardless if you're a tech or certified tech.
    apple will sell many of their parts to certified techs as a clarification