Thread: MXF Workflow Question

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 MXF Workflow Question 
    Hello,
    as mentioned in the other thread I was testing the option the create MXF files directly in-camera yesterday for the first time. While it worked quick and flawless to get the files into the Mediacomposer I observed the following point / have the following questions:

a) there seems to be no tapename in the MXF-File? I made same edits and managed to get an AAF back to resolve and recreate the edit with the R3D Files without problems, just doublechecking (because sametimes system like nucoda want to have a tapename for the conforming)

b) what does VC-3 7:1 in the MXF file stand for฿

c) i made same bad experience with the look around area while creating prores files in camera a couple of month ago (i was recording 6K with lookaround on helium, but the prores proxys recorded the full sensor, so editorial got confused) - does the same apply to the MXF files? for example, i use the Focus / Edge tool for judging the focus a lot (i am getting old, i know ...) - is the sharpening visible on the mxf?

best wishes and kind regards,
    martin

Quote Originally Posted by martinnoweck View Post
    i made same bad experience with the look around area while creating prores files in camera a couple of month ago (i was recording 6K with lookaround on helium, but the prores proxys recorded the full sensor, so editorial got confused) - does the same apply to the MXF files?
    My advice would be to always shoot a framing chart so that editorial (and the DIT and data handlers) understand exactly what was seen in the camera viewfinder. That way, there is no question when dailies are made that may or may not show slightly different framing from the camera originals. Generally, what I see is a matte added by the editor during editing, and that way they can always look "underneath" the image and reposition if needed. Without the framing chart, it becomes guesswork.
    marc wielage, csi • colorist/post consultant • daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer