Thread: Question about sensor

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Question about sensor 
    Hello folks.

Ive been surfing this forum for a long time and has always found answers as well as good tips and tricks that has shown to be super useful! Thanks for that people!

What I mostly film is wildlife and that means waiting, sometimes for long, long times. But when im getting that shoot that director mother nature gives it is just unbelivable fun!

Im shooting with a Scarlet W and telelenses, im super stoked with the material that comes out of this camera and it ticks all my boxes for the stuff im doing (one hell of a camera) Thanks RED!

There is just one thing im wondering about and thought that im posting here before buggering the people at RED about it, when shooting stuff like blue skies with slight overcast I sometimes can get these noise artifacts (vertical lines).

I shoot everything in Dragoncolor 2 and REDLogfilm and sometimes I think I can see it ever so subtly before grading anything on my Eizo ColorEdge monitor. When really pushing the material with a curve the artifacts become really visible.

Im running Firmware 7.0.1 and have done one hardware restore and multiple calibration maps that suits my shooting conditions, temperatures of 32 celsius and 41 celsius for the sensor.

Below is a link to a dropbox folder with some screengrabs and some cellphone photos of the monitor where its also visible with the GioScope turned on. Im not using any other tools like sharpening for focus.

So my question really comes down to, is this normal?

Files Here

Thank all of you for your time!!

Please post R3D snapshots. This will export single R3D frame with meta data

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

R3D snapshots is in there as well now.

Thanks for your time!

I would say it's a cause for concern. I can't reliably expose patterns like that on any of the other Dragon footage I have. They get noisy, but they don't show lines that severe.

Did you try deleting all your black shade calibrations and then doing a brand new manual calibration?

For what it's worth, there's a new firmware out today:

https://www.red.com/downloads/56af8ace2325b449230020b0

I think the biggest problem is that you are exposing your image incorrectly. Looks to me like you are trying to keep your ISO low which is actually contrary to what you want. Try to use 800 ISO outdoors and around 400-500 indoors and you'll get a good healthy spectrum in your image. In order to get a decent image exposure you are at the fringes of the sensors capabilities.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Ok, thanks.

I updated firmware today to the latest, works fine. Deleted all calibration maps except the factory one that to my knowledge cant be deleted.

Made new cailbration maps and tried with what I had (clear blue skies from apartment window).

I put a R3D clip in the dropbox folder of this, I have cranked the curve quite a bit to provoke the lines into the footage.

Thank you guys for your time and help!

Hello Johnny,
    i’ve seen those vertical lines too when editing clips last year. I have scarlet w as you, i shot the clips with my 70-200 canon
    and X2 extender.
    It was sunny surfing action at 400 Iso . Next time i will try to expose at 800 Iso (thanks to B. Gundu ). I will upgrade to last firmware this week end. i will try to find those old clips and will tell you how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Hurberg View Post
    Ok, thanks.

I updated firmware today to the latest, works fine. Deleted all calibration maps except the factory one that to my knowledge cant be deleted.

Made new cailbration maps and tried with what I had (clear blue skies from apartment window).

I put a R3D clip in the dropbox folder of this, I have cranked the curve quite a bit to provoke the lines into the footage.

Thank you guys for your time and help!
    That seems to have made a pretty considerable difference.

When cranked to the extreme:

Before:

After:

Untouched IPP2 High Contrast/Medium Rolloff for reference:

IIRC those are just sensor patterns. I remember seeing them on my Red One MX a long time ago.