Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: " EPOCH " Shot by Christopher Probst on RED MONSTRO 8K

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    You sure maximized all production value in a short time. Efficiency, quality and delivery is what keeps you working in this biz.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Awesome write up. Thank you!

That was such a fun and crazy shoot, including some of the longest days and shortest turnarounds I've worked, but in the end it was totally worth it. Amazing work Dr. Probst; and Rich too of course. You sure know how to maximize your resources. Thanks for having me on the project. I love seeing these breakdowns too. Reminded me how crazy-busy that gas station was and yet you were still able to shoot around the chaos and make it look and feel totally authentic.

I didn't think I was going to upgrade to Monstro and after the first day working with it, I decided to get two. Ha. Red has really outdone themselves (and their competition) with this one. If you haven't shot with Monstro, you really need to get your hands on one. It's truly a totally different experience than any Red sensor you've used before.
    Jeff McCoy
    1st AC & drone pilot
    2x Monstros, Alexa Mini, Leica Summilux-C set, Angénieux & Fujinon zooms, Prestons, Teradek Bolt kits, Sony OLED monitors, O’Connor heads, drones, 4x4 sprinter vans & lots more.
    Web: www.industrialdigital.tv
    Instagram: @Industrial_Digital

Really loving the whole deep deep deep blacks and shadow / composition within some of the shots... LOVE LOVE LOVE the texture and MEGA texture ... (peeling paint, and dust and decay and more decay) I'm such a whore for that !!! Drewling The set dressing seems flawless and love how some of the built sets (I'm guessing here incorporate/ integrate so well to specific location. Will keep watching to get a few more clues as to how that is all fitting together so nicely ! ).

Just watching that again and again and again... Shame you can't come to New Mexico as we have tons and tons of wind right now! And dust storms for free and loads of post apocalyptic locations... But I do understand the rules and "Radius" on the map for permitted locations.

Skin tone close ups / medium shot look incredible with sweat (real or simulated)... Reminds me of what KODAK photographically are trying to roll out with some of their newest film stocks in terms of skins tone, lower light, depth and sweat and complex lighting effects BUT in these sequences I prefer what I'm seeing here from MONSTRO than what KODAK is trying push right now... A few things that make your hair stand on end there... Wonderful wonderful work! :-)

Marvelous show case and project (Big Time) !!! Will keep watching it again and again over the next few days...BUT thinking MAAAAN I wish I had a better like 8k monitor and direct playback / source to really see what's going on...

Amazing and lovely... DID have a very close comb through the credits too. (Great stuff) LOVED THAT DRONE SHOT !!! (was that real??? or composite or what?)

So much great stuff packed in there...

Maybe I stop gushing for a while...

Really really enjoyed and will continue to enjoy really takes your breath away... Just fantastic and some really challenging looking mixed lighting...

At some point I have to "Map" out the anamorphics (being slow and stubborn on that) but looks really incredible especially on the wide shots!
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________

RSVP'd for HYDROGEN -VIP SNEAK PEAK @ RED STUDIOS HOLLYWOOD on and for MAY 19th 2018.

(Its really a sneak peek into your future and THE future :-) )

Be there or be flat! Or at least risk feeling dimensionally challenged!

Thank you so much Chris, not only for the amazing video, but for this cinematography masterclass. People pay good money for these types of master cinematographer insights and we're so privileged to have access to this information. Definitely something I will be studying!
    Red EPIC-W #003307 "Annabelle"

Senior Member Robert Gustafsson's Avatar
    Really great! Thanks a lot for also sharing the BTS.
    RED EPIC-W #1939
    http://treborian.com

Post-apocalyptic is one of my favorite settings. Really really well done. I'm glad you insisted on dust because that really made those outdoor scenes feel desolate.

I wish there was somewhere I could watch this with a little less compression/banding.

Senior Member Christopher Probst's Avatar
    Aaron, which version did you try? YouTube or Vimeo? We have a great debate going on which has less banding... Though I hate Vimeo, for me I see less on that version. It's a total gut punch when this thing looks exquisite in 4K...
    Christopher Probst, ASC
    director of photography
    Los Angeles, CA

9.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Lochert View Post
    Post-apocalyptic is one of my favorite settings. Really really well done. I'm glad you insisted on dust because that really made those outdoor scenes feel desolate.

I wish there was somewhere I could watch this with a little less compression/banding.
    Take a drive up to LA, and watch it in our theater at the studio in all it's glory :)

Senior Member Christopher Probst's Avatar
    ^^ My name is Chris Probst and I condone that message!
    Christopher Probst, ASC
    director of photography
    Los Angeles, CA