Thread: My (somewhat sad) Scarlet-W Experience

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Makes me scared to use my Dynacore. Any bad experiences with Dynacore batteries? They're chinese :(
    RED DSMC2 GEMINI #011030

What Nick Says I have seen also.

I got blue shape batteries, no issues.

Then I used pretty much every brand of battery as when I travel to shoots I often just bring a few, like three blushape granites or even a few of the new red small Vlocks.

The granites works fine even with quite a bit of accessories. Other batteries when using both Dtaps and the Dtap on camera normally give the camera all kinds of hickups. I seen menus disappear, camera shutting of in middle of takes, then when restarting on the same battery it continues to run. Also seen a lot off oddities in playback mode. Like shooting all fine, going to playback and camera can simply not do it. etc, etc.

I find the Epic was better on this front it complained on bad / low current etc. Weapon on the other hand seams to just freak on shitty power.

So my advice, use nothing but the red power modules and make sure to have good batteries. And if you use a lot of accessories. I would sugest running with two batteries and let one battery only power the camera and the second battery everything else.

Possibly I´m a bit paranoid but I seen people testing camera on prep day, all works fine, then on first shooting day camera simply start to act up like mad. and when they remove the accessories from the power source things goes back to normal. Then when asking they explain they tested camera, then turned it off and tested all the FIZ and other gear.

So if your camera starts to sketch out, try remove accessories out of the equation, then test new battery and if that does not work, test new power module or the AC adapter. usually then you can figure out whats causing the error.

On epic I had a rental client that manage to bend the connectors of my red Vlock adapter when it was unmounted. Then they ruined the +1 module trying to mount it... the + 1 module ruined my pro I/O module. and then also my XL battery module and my Quad Volt module... Then they rented a Vlock plate and AC connector and got going with their shoot... That kind of made me pull out of providing for small rental clients. Was simply not worth the hassle. Cost a fortune to get it all fixed even though red was quite nice to me.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame - 3D - Milo MoCo

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wahba View Post
    Makes me scared to use my Dynacore. Any bad experiences with Dynacore batteries? They're chinese :(
    been using them for 4 years, never any issues.
    Dr. Dominik Münch D.O.C.A
    Filmmaker & Cinematography Tutor
    Epic-W "Lucy"
    http://www.blacksun-productions.com
    http://www.instagram.com/drdominikmuench
    https://vimeo.com/user1737043

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Morrison View Post
    Blueshape 150's.

These to be exact:
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...v_v_mount.html
    I use these as well. My Epic-W of almost two years now has been just about flawless minus a minor firmware hiccup in the early days.

I have four of these 150s as well as two of the 270 HD's. Power for dayyyys. Who needs chargers?

Things like these make me check the news for when the A7S 3 comes out. Hassle free, reliable, lightweight and phenomenal in low light. I love my Epic-X (Old school) but man, a camera going down in front of a big client a few times, that's terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Bahou View Post
    Things like these make me check the news for when the A7S 3 comes out. Hassle free, reliable, lightweight and phenomenal in low light. I love my Epic-X (Old school) but man, a camera going down in front of a big client a few times, that's terrible.
    I don't think this is particularly fair. The RED's we use have been very reliable. And comparing the quality of an A7S to a RED is apples to oranges.

We get asked to work with a A LOT of Sony footage in post (FS7, A7, etc) and I would call it "ok" at best, and much noisier than advertised.

Much of it is also recorded 8bit internally, which is miles away from Redcode RAW.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    On epic I had a rental client that manage to bend the connectors of my red Vlock adapter when it was unmounted. Then they ruined the +1 module trying to mount it... the + 1 module ruined my pro I/O module. and then also my XL battery module and my Quad Volt module... Then they rented a Vlock plate and AC connector and got going with their shoot... That kind of made me pull out of providing for small rental clients. Was simply not worth the hassle. Cost a fortune to get it all fixed even though red was quite nice to me.
    That's why here in Mexico nobody rents their professional camera without sending a camera technician ("encargado de cámara" in spanish). The camera technician is mandatory whenever you rent a professional camera and is in charge of taking care of the equipment, setting up and preparing the camera, sometimes his function is like a second camera assistant. The salary is about US$130 per 10 working hours depending on the equipment and the company.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Morrison View Post
    My two cents on this is as follows (as someone that's used lots of RED cameras).

1) Power

I've found that it's helpful with RED cameras to really think about how you power them, as I've been told by some engineers who work on multiple cameras that RED brains are the most finicky about power, and will shut themselves down if the power going to them is a bit "off" (almost as a safety measure).

IE, it's better to lean on premium batteries (Blueshape for example), and a reliable power distro (we use a Scatterbox), as this can really help regulate the power going to the brain.

2) Foolcontrol

True the range from internal wifi isn't great, but if you use something like a Teraderk MDR or MDR-SK that generally boosts your range A LOT.
    If the Brain is that susceptible to power fluctuation etc . . . maybe have a circuit in there to condition the incoming power and shut down if it senses an issue . . . before it hits the Brain's core. If something is actually killing the Brain perhaps have an error log to record the event. Every wonder why it takes a second for your phone to start charging after you plug it in? It's checking the power source before letting it in.

A $50K rig, that your career depends on, should be extremely dependable. Like NASA, I always take reliability over new gee wiz features. That's a big part why I don't use gimbals etc when a mono pod, dolly or cage plus handles would do the job. If it's electronic - try to eliminate it from your kit. I'm looking very closely at in camera stabilization and post production tricks to get the shot without the ridiculous gack a gimbal requires.

Specifically to RED: have an extreme comprehensive testing protocol to stress test any camera which has been returned for repair. Run the thing for 24hrs with a test script which simulates every known working condition. It's a trust issue - when a cam comes back from the factory it should be 100% reliable. That takes a huge effort to design, implement and continuously update a protocol which finds problems before shipment back to customer. That effort, while not glamorous, is essential for reliability and trust.

Cam Brand A v. Cam Brand B becomes less about image quality etc after you've been abandoned in front of professional peers due to a technical crash. No matter what the issue is - it's your fault.
    Last edited by Zeb B; 05-05-2018 at 09:37 AM.
    -Zeb
    FAA 333 Drone Ace
    6K Drone Worldwide
    Underwater Shooter
    RED in Hawaii w/Operator
    www.Stock8K.com

Wow, that is a horrible experience. Hopefully, you get it fixed and it works out better for you. These cameras are too much of an investment to not have them work flawlessly.
    #MakeItHappen...#ThatFiilmLife

Ty Hunt
    Director | Cinematographer
    Scarlet-W

www.LightHawk.studio