Thread: Problem with my canon motion mount order.

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Problem with my canon motion mount order. 
    I ordered a canon motion mount with my scarlet-w in 2017 May. I financed the order through SoCal Leasing. I checked and double checked that everything was in stock before proceeding with the financing. Then I received the camera but no mount. I was told motion mount was backordered. It should only be 2-3 weeks. I called in 3 weeks. I was told again to wait another 2-3 weeks. Then I was told it will be out in Aug 2017. So I called in Aug, I was told that there is a redesign going on. But my Bomb Squad was able to arrange a loaner unit that I could borrow from Red for a couple weeks. I was able to try it out and do some tests under different light sources, including dimming light sources. So that was excellent on Red 's part. And I m really thankful and grateful to RED.

I returned the loaner motion mount and then I started hearing again - next 2-3 weeks, and next 2-3 weeks. I kept calling every 2-3 weeks. At some point I just bought a wooden camera canon mount, but found it wasn't sturdy at all for Canon CN-E zoom lenses I was using. So I bought a regular Canon TI mount also from Red. They were awesome again to give me some discount on it.

Around beginning of November 2017, I was tired of calling again and again. I imagine the sales guys were probably sick and tired of me calling again and again too. I checked forums, but did not find anything on the subject. I even posted to one of the forums requesting please give me some real status update.

So I decided not to call for 6 months and work on other preparations for my film. Finally I called again last week, after almost 6 months. Left messages for sales, and my bomb squad, no one called back. So I reached out to support just so I could talk to someone, support rep went out of his way to ask sales guys, they did not know what was happening with motion mounts. But a lot of them knew my name. So the support rep reached out to production team. And was told that they were still waiting on 1 piece for production to begin. So I got very excited seeing just this tiny bit of light at the end of the tunnel.

today I logged in and checked my account, I found that funds available did not seem correct. So I called the rep and the sales team to let me know how much funds I still have in my account, and how much more I would need to pay when my motion mount ships. I got a call back from someone in sales, first she mentioned that my canon motion mount order has been cancelled. When I told her I never cancelled it. She said that she will need to dig in deeper as to what is going on. She also mentioned that there is still no production date assigned for canon motion mounts.

I m concerned and want to make sure there is nothing screwed up with my order. And in addition sincerely pray that someone at Red also clarifies/confirms the reasons for delays in canon motion mount production - as in is it really being redesigned?

regards
    yogesh

Patrick Corcoran at RED fixed my order, apparently some automated process had changed my order.
    We also found the charges that have not been applied yet from last year, that is why the funds available shown in my account were wrong.
    He promised to work with accounting to get that part fixed by tmrw.

He also assured me that main reason for delays happen in production is because Red wants to make sure each component that it sources from different vendors is up to the spec, and all the components have to be ready before production begins. And they seemed to have run into quality problems on more than one component that was sourced from different vendors.

So thank you for resolving my problems and clarifying.

Now I can go back to waiting patiently again. Whenever it gets into production, it is worth the wait.