Thread: Dragon 5k vs. Dragon 6k

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    6k dragon gives more fine noise structure. 5k dragon gives the opertunity to use lenses with slightly smaller image circles = faster lenses or the same lenses with less corner softness, vinjetting, etc. Also 5k capture on weapon dragon allows more data per pixel. So lots of factors in play and difficult to say, I think, that one option is better than the other. Cropping into the sensor does not only have drawbacks, its all depending what else you have in play.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame - 3D - Milo MoCo

I made posts about this before during our initial search for a digital cinema camera for our first feature film at Babs Do Productions. It was a couple years ago now so we were looking at an Ursa Major, Sony FS5/7, and RED. At the show we saw all of those plus Kinefinity and the Canon C500. Basically we saw similar things with motion in that the non-digital cinema cameras like the Sonys, Panasonics, and Canons all looked a little video like with their overall motion as things looked just too smooth. Then the digital cinema cameras looked absolutely filmic. Then at Blackmagic they had a development camera that seemed to have all the settings off so I was going through to see what it looked like with the settings I would use and I started adjusting what I thought was the shutter speed and it turned out that, after speaking with a developer, what is was adjusting was the sensor refresh rate and for Blackmagic they keep that in sync with the frame rate but that made me realize that the video cameras must have their refresh rates synced with 60 or 50fps at all times and only adjust the frame rate setting. Because when the Blackmagic was set to 60 refresh rate it looked like what was happening with the video cameras but when it was set to 24 it looked like proper film movement. I would think that RED wouldn’t make that mistake but that may be what you’re seeing with other non-digital cinema cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack Birlew View Post
    I made posts about this before during our initial search for a digital cinema camera for our first feature film at Babs Do Productions. It was a couple years ago now so we were looking at an Ursa Major, Sony FS5/7, and RED. At the show we saw all of those plus Kinefinity and the Canon C500. Basically we saw similar things with motion in that the non-digital cinema cameras like the Sonys, Panasonics, and Canons all looked a little video like with their overall motion as things looked just too smooth. Then the digital cinema cameras looked absolutely filmic. Then at Blackmagic they had a development camera that seemed to have all the settings off so I was going through to see what it looked like with the settings I would use and I started adjusting what I thought was the shutter speed and it turned out that, after speaking with a developer, what is was adjusting was the sensor refresh rate and for Blackmagic they keep that in sync with the frame rate but that made me realize that the video cameras must have their refresh rates synced with 60 or 50fps at all times and only adjust the frame rate setting. Because when the Blackmagic was set to 60 refresh rate it looked like what was happening with the video cameras but when it was set to 24 it looked like proper film movement. I would think that RED wouldn’t make that mistake but that may be what you’re seeing with other non-digital cinema cameras.
    Wasn't that only on the monitor path, or you mean with the actual footage files the BMD was making? With RED you can set the monitor path to 24, 30, 50 or 60hz (and/or "open gate"), but that's only for the camera's monitor path/playback. I would presume it's the same with BMD... or no?

I have seen dragon 5k look better than dragon 6k... very unusual situation and it was to do with ridicules amount of detail in the shot and that switching to 5k allowed me less compression. Yes 6k is typically a tiny bit cleaner but well shot 5k dragon is fantastic!

I have a Monstro here but I still think the scarlet W is the best value camera we ever owned.... looking forward to having our next 5k camera (Gemini)... 5k is really not a issue..
    Michael Lindsay

my studio Instagram