Thread: Opinions on SSD for RAID

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Opinions on SSD for RAID 
    Looking for opinions from the tech Jedi's about replacing my current spinning discs with SSD's.

I have an 8-drive Mini-SAS CineRAID chassis that currently has 8x 1Tb Hitachi Ultrastar drives in RAID-0 connected to an ATTO R664 RAID controller (Win10 machine). I don't need data redundancy, just speed from this RAID.

The drives are about 6 years old now and I haven't had a full on failure yet, but they are acting a little quirky so I'll make the pre-emptive step of swaping them out.

My decision is to either swap to 8x new Ultrastar's (2Tb @ $215 CDN) which would double my capacity but keep the same performance (more or less) OR move to 8x 1Tb SSD's that would keep my storage capacity the same but should increase performance.

When shopping for SSD's there is a huge price spread on 1Tb drives so I'd like to ask the hive-mind if SSD's like these would work

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...9SIAFVZ77C1189 $359 CDN
    or
    https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...82E16820156174 $319 CDN
    or
    https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...16820326756CVF $369 CDN

Or would a "pro" version be needed?
    https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Produc...9SIA7RD3YF9661 $718 CDN

My main priority is performance so I'm inclined to go SSD if the costs are within reason. If a solution would work around +$100/drive, I'll definitely go SSD but if the difference is about +$500/drive then spinning disks are going to stay.

Your thoughts?
    Paul Steinberg csc
    www.paulsteinberg.tv

They are all above 400 MB/s seq R/W, so when ~ 3 GB/s R/W is fast enough for you it won't matter which one you pick.
    Samsung claims 600 TBW for the 860 evo and crucial claims 360 TBW MX 500.

Personally I would leave everything as it is and buy a 1 TB 970 pro (us $ 630) as a scratch drive having sustained seq. read speeds of 3.5 GB/s and sustained seq. write speeds of 2.5 GB/s.

I would recommend going the opposite direction. I have an 8 Drive Raid that originally had 1 TB drives and last year swapped them out for 6TB. So glad I have the space now, because I can load 20TB film on for a grade and still have tons of space left.

I always recommend HGST NAS Drives for RAIDS. The 6TB and the 10TB are the fast ones.

I'd follow Matthew's note about repopulating the RAID with higher capacity 3.5" spinning drives. SSDs, NVME and other solid state options could/should be part of your storage mix, but since you already have a chassis designed for spinners in a world swimming in data...

I would also urge you to research SSD RAID topology to make sure you know what you're getting into. When they work correctly they are insane, but people I work with have had some issues.
    My advice:
    1) Samsung SSDs win on F/W sophistication and reliability
    2) Beware of low cost controllers

Cheers - #19

Since Samsung changed the 860Evo warranty to 5 years and increased the endurance rating for warranty, I would suggest the 1TB or 2TB Evo. If the 2TB Evo is in the budget then definitely get those since density significantly impacts reliability on the TLC based NAND drives as it often does other memory based technologies. Also keep in mind there are rumors Samsung may be releasing new SSD's later this year.