Thread: Video Editing Storage Solutions for larger projects.

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Video Editing Storage Solutions for larger projects. 
    I'm working on a few projects. I usually work on smaller projects (less than 5 minutes) but one of the projects for a client is about 60 minutes. Managing all the data has always been a bit of a struggle for me even on the smaller projects. What sort of editing storage solutions are you guys using for editing red raw footage? I have an i7 6950X, 128 gb of ram, and gtx 1080 ti windows 10 based workstation. I'm looking to invest in something that's reliable, fast, and has enough storage for a 60 minute project. I'm shooting with a red epic dragon at 6k widescreen 6:1 compression. Thanks :)

What budget do you have? This is the sort of thing that could have an answer of $1000, $2000, $5000, or $10,000 (or more).

I have worked on 60-minute projects where they had a 100:1 shooting ratio, so you could easily wind up with 100 hours of material. That could be at least 80TB of data (plus backups and so on).
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

An idea of the overall amount of media would help as well as slot configuration available on your system.