Thread: What Setting do you use to Render to Instagram?

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    same video at 30mbps , cant see a difference on ig

Your clip is pretty dark so it will get muddy on Instagram.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Instagram's compression is absolutely atrocious. There isn't really much you can do but try to convince them to up their bitrates.

Ok... so this has always been a nightmare for me. But from what I have concluded I believe no matter what you feed instagram, the app itself is re-encoding it before actually uploading to the server. So if I feed it a 100MB file that is not being uploaded. The app ends up saving a 720p file to my phone (which I believe is what is uploaded approx 20mb.) So today for the first time I set to upload a 4K render and to my eyes it looks like the sharpest video I have ever uploaded to my feed. Again still saved to my phone is a 720p file approx 20mb but at least I gave it a higher sample to work its compression. Maybe someone else can confirm next time they upload.

I also did a high res upload just to try it, and of all my test it too came out the best. One thing I notice is that pro res seems to do better as well.

Whoa whoa, so you guys uploaded a 4k prores file and it looked better after recompression? Intriguing... I was gonna try HEVC (4k, 1080, and 720) to see if that made difference... anyone have thoughts on that?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    Whoa whoa, so you guys uploaded a 4k prores file and it looked better after recompression? Intriguing... I was gonna try HEVC (4k, 1080, and 720) to see if that made difference... anyone have thoughts on that?
    Just to clarify I don't think the 4K file is actually being uploaded. Just let your app compress from the highest possible input file.