Thread: ABOVE NYC - Filmed in 12K

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Senior Member David J. Buchanan's Avatar
    One of the few times where resolution has blown me away. Wow.
    Monstro, Dragon, A7S
    Zeiss Otus 28, 55, 85
    Corporate G&E Package
    davidjbuchanan.com

This is a very beautiful thing

I am amazed how lowlight and how much DR this monstro has. At what ISO did you film and what fstop? As it seems you were using a small aputure because everything is in focus. F10? So Iso is probably way up there. Or am I missing something. really impressed with this.

Thanks!

Thanks all. The support and interest in this piece has been really awesome the last few days. Nearly 400K views on YouTube and lots, and lots of media outlets covering it. My heart has grown 3 sizes for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Cage View Post
    I am amazed how lowlight and how much DR this monstro has. At what ISO did you film and what fstop? As it seems you were using a small aputure because everything is in focus. F10? So Iso is probably way up there. Or am I missing something. really impressed with this.
    My goals for this particular shoot (shot selection, distance, and lens related things) was to showcase some of the more difficult things to do with an unstructured camera array such as this. So that meant getting close to the subject matter to evoke a lot of parallax within the shot as well as doing tricky things with the lens. Everything you see filmed ranged in T-Stop from wide open at T1.5, the night wide shot with the Staten Island Ferry in teh foreground through deeper T-Stops with the use of screw on NDs on those Tokina Cinema Vista Primes, probably in the range of T8-T10.

I 100% know that Monstro is the current best sensor on the market and this truly does showcase what you can get out of it in terms of color, dynamic range, and low light. ISO was mostly 400-1600 using the New ISO Calibration (so with the previoius calibration that would be ISO 800-3200).

The amazing thing to me in particular is that long crawl up to Time Square as that's pretty much the entire 17+ stops of dynamic range that Monstro has just before clipping and just above crushing. Could not have timed or exposed for that shot better. 1/3 of a stop more open, and those billboards all clip. 1/3 stop more stopped down and we're digging into the noise floor. That's actually one of the most beautiful things about this for me personally and certainly shows you how state of the art Monstro truly is.

On a side note related to Monstro ISO, I mostly work ISO 400-2000, but you can get up to 5000 on the new calibration with expected noise character, but it's very much a useable image if you need to go there.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Weapon 8K VV Monstro Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Cleanest New York has ever looked.

Would love to see the version play just after stitching, before rectilinear projection mapping.