Thread: Is there a way to record the internal gyroscope data to Metadata?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Is there a way to record the internal gyroscope data to Metadata? 
    Hi Just wondering if there's a way ( or perhaps it's already in there somewhere ) to record a DSMC2 bodies internal gyro data
    to the metadata for VFX / background replacement use later? I'm thinking for a situation where the camera will be in a crowd of moving people and no
    trackable points on the background will be consistently visible. How do people normally solve this?

I'm surprised no one knows how to do this, is there some external way of recording gyroscope direction data perhaps linked to timecode?

One job where post needed this data, we sent it out over the SDI feed as an on-screen display. We then recorded this info on the PIX E7 for each take.

Post was able to use this lower res display method to get the info that they needed.
    Ben Ruffell
    Director of Photography
    www.benruffell.com

Somewhat related was this discussion here:

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...STEADXP-on-RED
    Scarlet Dragon #01474, "ISABELLA"
    Scarlet-W in transit!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruff View Post
    One job where post needed this data, we sent it out over the SDI feed as an on-screen display. We then recorded this info on the PIX E7 for each take.

Post was able to use this lower res display method to get the info that they needed.
    Ruff,

Where in the menus can you select for this information to be displayed on the HDSI output? Thanks
    Tom Gleeson

Hey Tom,

I have no idea sorry!

Was lucky enough to have an amazing Japanese AC on the job, and they set everything up.

(I do remember, that it was important to calibrate the gyro's on a flat surface, and we also synced and displayed the timecode and clip numbers so that it worked out)
    Ben Ruffell
    Director of Photography
    www.benruffell.com

Thanks Ruff, good to know it's possible to access the data, if I find out how I'll post it here.

Thanks Terry, the SteadXP looks interesting too, I'll contact them to see if it can be adapted
    to output the direction data.

I don't know about the viewing the gyro data as Metadata after the fact, but here are some directions (using firmware 7.0.1) for setting up monitoring of the gyro data (which as far as I know has to be added to a Custom Overlay).

To calibrate the internal gyro -

Menu>Settings>Maintenance>Calibrate>Gyro

To add the gyro data readout to your monitor overlay -

Menu>Overlays>Custom>Create (or 'Edit' an existing overlay from the 'In Camera:' list, or 'Clone' an existing overlay then edit that cloned overlay).

When in the overlay edit mode, click on one of the squares that has a cross/plus sign in it, on the part of the monitor screen where you want the gyro data to appear. From the 'Item:' drop down list, select 'Motion: Gyro Data (GYRO)', then press 'Add', then 'Save' (you may need to name the overlay you're creating before saving it).

To load the Overlay that you've added the gyro data readout to -

Menu>Monitoring>Monitors>HD-SDI (or whatever monitor you are using)>Mode: Overlay>Overlay: Select from drop-down list the Overlay that you've added the gyro data readout to in the previous step.

The gyro data will appear on screen as - 'P:0.0 R:0.0'

If you have 'Auto Hide Menus' selected in Menu>Monitoring> Monitors>LCD Top Screen (for example), you can switch out of your custom overlay and back to the default overlay by pressing the Menu button on the camera (or tapping on the top or bottom edge of the LCD Touch Screen).
    Last edited by Les Hillis; 05-21-2018 at 10:17 AM.

Recently had a project where we needed gyro info as well. Ended up using REDLine to retrieve the info and save it all in .cvs.
    Simran Dewan
    cinematographer | www.simrandewan.com
    Weapon Helium 8K Monochrome // Epic-W Helium 8K

CineGround Media Inc.
    www.cineground.com
    Cameras - Post-Production

CF Weapon (Monstro), Weapon Helium Monochrome, Epic-W, Scarlet-W, Epic Dragon, One, Alexa Mini, Varicam LT
    Leica Summicron-C | Kowa Anamorphic | Canon K-35 | Cooke Mini-S4 | ARRI/Zeiss Ultra Primes