Thread: Cash recording on Reds

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Cash recording on Reds 
    we are considering weapon form a wildlife production and i cant find any info on cache recording within present Red ecosystem. cache recording is not make or brake a deal but for sure reduces a lot data handling in some situations. shooting with Sony's AXS-R7 was Ok on 2k high frame rate but at 4k is next to useless. i would like to know what are my options for Red? thanks
    Last edited by Luka Sanader; 05-21-2018 at 01:12 PM.

Are you talking about pre-recording? http://www.red.com/learn/red-tech/Pre-Record-RED-Tech
    Chad Lancaster
    ICON Motion Pictures

The Southwest
    www.thesouthwestfilm.com
    www.fb.com/thesouthwestfilm
    Instagram: https://goo.gl/6cElQF

*cache
    -Zeb
    FAA 333 Drone Ace
    6K Drone Worldwide
    Underwater Shooter
    RED in Hawaii w/Operator
    www.Stock8K.com

yes Pre-Record function as its called on Red. What i cant figure out is time, resolution, frame rate relationship on some models. will any of the cameras give me 120fps Pre-Record non crop?

Quote Originally Posted by Luka Sanader View Post
    yes Pre-Record function as its called on Red. What i cant figure out is time, resolution, frame rate relationship on some models. will any of the cameras give me 120fps Pre-Record non crop?
    None of the cameras will do 120 fps without some sort of crop.

Gemini will get you the closest with 75 fps at 5K Full Height 1.7:1 (5120 3000), 96 fps at 5K Full Format (5120 2700), 120 fps at 5K 2.4:1 (5120 2160).
    Or if you need 120 fps but not that wide, then you can get 120 fps at 4K Full Format (4096 2160).
    Unless space is an issue, you're really only cutting off breathing room on the edges if you go that route.
    Brandon Veen | Digital Curator at Hedderich's
    Epic-X Dragon #08127 + Leica BLK360

thanks Brandon! my delivery is 4k also in most of the scenarios i am on a longer lens and higher aperture so its not a big deal if my sensor is cropped or not. this is all good new; for me it boils down to highest frame rate in 4k for longest time. am not even worried for compression rates as percentage of this type of shots in the film is not that high

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb B View Post
    *cache
    Wish they had cash recording as well! ;-) Pure cash money baby, straight from the media cards!
    http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/ (Sound Recordist based in Auckland, NZ. Happy to travel too)
    https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

Luka, I shoot almost every day over a 2 months project at 120fps at 4K with the prerecord on my Red. Everything from animals to bugs to people jumping over stuff and it is one of the most valuable tools for me. Nothing beats seeing some great thing that an animal is doing and having the tools to capture it with plenty of preroll and not just racking up media. The projects I work on cant afford rolling for say 20 or 30 seconds time and time again, or even 1 min at 120 or also 160 fps at 3k due to the amount of media it would create for just one 10 second shot of a fish jumping out of the water. If its any comfort the prerecord or Cash as you say on the Red I have found very useful in what sounds like the type of work your looking to use it on.
    Epic Forged Monstro (Camera 101)
    Epic X (Tribal)
    mindsetmedia@mac.com
    https://vimeo.com/user4448312
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/russfill/

Pre-record is a life-saver. Unfortunately, the "record: cancel" option disappeared a few firmware versions ago. So when you cancel pre-record, you still write a clip to the mag. It's not the end of the world, but I hope Red activates this feature again someday (or gives us a "delete last clip" option).

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Fill View Post
    Luka, I shoot almost every day over a 2 months project at 120fps at 4K with the prerecord on my Red. Everything from animals to bugs to people jumping over stuff and it is one of the most valuable tools for me. Nothing beats seeing some great thing that an animal is doing and having the tools to capture it with plenty of preroll and not just racking up media. The projects I work on cant afford rolling for say 20 or 30 seconds time and time again, or even 1 min at 120 or also 160 fps at 3k due to the amount of media it would create for just one 10 second shot of a fish jumping out of the water. If its any comfort the prerecord or Cash as you say on the Red I have found very useful in what sounds like the type of work your looking to use it on.
    Thanks! if i can get more then 60fps on AXS-R7 and if its 20 seconds thats fantastic news. it would be awsome if red just had numbers for pre recording mode: how many sec for resolution, compression and frame rate for all of the current cameras. we are debating now Monstro or Weapon helium. i will do some tests next week. thank you