Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: DSMC2. Unified.

Reply to Thread
Page 29 of 83 FirstFirst ... 192526272829303132333979 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    I guess magnesium owners got the short straw... again. "Upgrading" to Gemini is neither an upgrade or a "side grade", we just have to accept that our cameras value got cut in more than half. A new MG was $29 500. even at reasonable used prices it wouldn't have gone down as low as $13 000.

So, if we were to successfully sell our cameras at a price that should be close to what it's actually worth, we should be able to sell it for at least $20 000, meaning more than what a new Gemini costs. But upgrading would cost us around $6500. I'm still jaw-dropped at the logic for this.
    Have you ever bought a new car?

MG was a lighter camera with higher specs right?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Wild View Post
    First of all, apologies if this was already answered. I tried to find it but all of this is a bit overwhelming...

We have 2 Epic-W's with Helium sensors. We just upgraded them in September before the cutoff. I don't get what we would get for upgrading for $5,000. I thought our cameras were DSMC2?

This overhaul of their product names is SO overdue when even I can't figure it out as an owner since Red One days. Too many body styles mixed with sensor styles, etc, etc. Options are good, but I think RED is very smart to move towards an easier 1-body, choice of sensors model. That is way easier to get your head around. This reset happened at Apple when Jobs came back, too. Options are good but sometimes can get out of hand. Jobs brought everything to 4 quadrants and only a few options within each. Sounds similar to what RED is doing now...thankfully.

Anyways, let me know what I'd be getting for $10,000 if I were to upgrade both my Epic-W Heliums...because other than a bit more fps at 8k, I don't think I see a difference, but I could be wrong.

Thanks!
    Fascinated that 60fps is a "bit more."

So what happens to the 6K Weapon?

Guys no one NEEDS to upgrade anything. Most of us who post on these boards were lucky to get good deals on our cameras that are now about 2 years old.... they modified some prices to get MORE people some upgrade love.. while I can see why some are scratching their heads about what was yesterday vrs today... I guess to use the car anology again we have been using our cameras for almost 2 years, people are getting the same product later down the line..
    if the rumors of a new body type in 2020+ are true we will have had more time to create/make money with our cameras.
    Like jarred said if someone payed full price ( no upgrade love) I can see some frustration and seems like red is addressing it.

Bottom line is the WEAPON program was a really cool ide that seemed to get red into many clusterfucked situations. To many variables and craziness. I can totally see how this new streamlined model works for red. And judging from recent posts from the head office I’m sure this has been a difficult decision but an important one to avoid more pain later.
    Like many have said.
    If you have a camer currently keep shooting it and look forward to the next round of changes
    For the new guys getting blessed with new possibilities... crack on and congratulations
    WEAPON HELIUM 8K
    SCARLET-W
    LOCAL 600
    BUFFALO, N.Y
    IMDB

www.coderedpicturecompany.com

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Bai View Post
    Fascinated that 60fps is a "bit more."

Ha ha. Okay, I plead guilty to not even knowing what we can currently get as far as fps at 8k. Sorry...didn't mean to slight the difference. It's just different for others. About 80% of our use of the cameras are corporate work and 99% of our work is at 5k or 6k. So yeah...more fps at 8k doesn't mean much to me, but probably does for you and others. ;-)
    Owner/Editor
    Drawbridge Media, Inc.
    www.drawbridge.tv
    ---
    Drawbridge does a mix of corporate video production, spots,
    live events and post-production. We also edit shows for Discovery Networks/TLC.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    You CF Weapon owners don't sweat it.. I know you guys are holding the bag right now, Give Brent and I a few days we are working on something.

Thanks Jarred, you guys usually rock and I am hoping that is the case again!
    Forged CF Helium 8K 00107
    Storm Trooper Komodo 0149
    Scarlet X 02249 (The Gateway Drug)
    RED Pro Zooms and Primes
    Director/DP at https://www.butcherbox.com

Living life by the ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by Filipe Abreu View Post
    Wtf guys, why are you ranting about this prices drops. Your cameras still shoot the same beautifull images. If some of you just dropped every single penny on a camera I am sorry but you are doing it wrong. You know the rules of the game it happens everywhere, technology is a risk because of the fast evolution every one changes phones every year for example. Still this is the same company that let's u upgrade your tools if you want to, even if it is completely outdated like the red one. I have been so freaking happy with my RED. I know it doesnt has the same value today, but who cares? I am not in the business of buying and selling cameras, I sell moving pictures, and they are fucking awesome. So this are my 2 cents. Keep shooting with your cameras and do what u love most. Don't think how much your camera worths. Think how much do you worth!!!

Peace
    This is correct. And EVERYTHING is a risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent@RED View Post
    We are looking to see if we can add request-received confirmation emails. Since this is just a request, not an order, it is not set up with order confirmation-like replies, sorry.

Meanwhile, for those who already placed requests, will see if we can send out a mass "we got your request" blast later today or so...
    Any status on this to see if us who already placed requests to see if we get a confirmation? Just want to make sure I got in there! Or maybe just let me know I'm on the list :)
    RED DSMC2 GEMINI #011030

I will only say this once because i know am going to get my head chewed off for this.

But we all need to give Jarred and whole red team a break. They are running a business not a charity. Now I've greatly benefited from the upgrade paths that Red put into place over the years, however if tomorrow they got rid of the whole thing altogether I wouldn't be any worse off (but I hope they don't :-) ) . Why .... because i only owe camera that makes me money!

Only $5K make my camera a $25K! That's amazing! Only $35K to make my camera a $54K camera, that too is amazing. Usually what you pay for is what you get. No other camera company that offers such amazing opportunity for it's customers! Typically you buy a, $50K+ Arri Mini, and that is the end of the road. You can't pay more to make it something that it's not, it $50K+, it has gone off the lot and now it's a sunk cost, just like a car. Yeah maybe you can resell it for something and make a little back maybe but if you are honestly counting on that in this day in age you are crazy with the current camera tech environment. If you can't make back the $50k+ you spent on the camera in either hard or soft rentals, you shouldn't have bought the camera to start with. Same with Red, if you buy a camera and it's not making you money than then don't buy it! RENT! If you can't make $5K or even $34k in a year or two with your camera, than your hard earned money and rent the camera when you need it, or better yet make the client pay for it. Trust me $19K for a DSMC2 Gemini is a lot of rentals for the same camera!

Owning the camera isn't going to make your content better, only you can do that. Yes if you own a camera you can practice more and get better, but why spend money you don't have or borrow money you don't have in hopes that it will make you better. There are honestly a dozen sub-$3k that make great images with their log based workflows that are great for practicing. I know Red cameras are cheap in comparison to other Pro System out there, so it is tempting to buy one and try your luck, but rent until you know you are getting hired enough to make purchasing any camera system worth it while for you.

$5k is a lot better than $25k guys! And like Lucas said, your "older" camera is not a brick now, it is still a tool and should keep making you money, and again if the new tech or upgrade price isn't going to make you more money than don't upgrade! Keep making great content and landing more gigs so that eventually it will make sense.

Like Brent, said when you drive the car off the lot, tomorrow the dealership is going to call you up the next day and say hey sorry we have a new model coming out in a week we'll give you an upgrade X number of dollars. Haha. Yeah, that will never happen; however, your car is still hopefully going to get you from point a to b.

So keep striving to get from point A to Point B everyone, and don't worry about the what you are driving.
    Jacob Schwarz
    Director / DP
    www.jacobschwarz.net
    Monstro 8K (Storm) 33 / Forged Helium 8K #29 / Epic-W
    Follow Me: Twitter / YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Wild View Post
    Ha ha. Okay, I plead guilty to not even knowing what we can currently get as far as fps at 8k. Sorry...didn't mean to slight the difference. It's just different for others. About 80% of our use of the cameras are corporate work and 99% of our work is at 5k or 6k. So yeah...more fps at 8k doesn't mean much to me, but probably does for you and others. ;-)
    lol if that's the case I would highly suggest trading in cameras. At 5-6k res your FOV must be really tight on the EW.