Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: DSMC2. Unified.

Reply to Thread
Page 70 of 83 FirstFirst ... 206066676869707172737480 ... LastLast
    I'm stoked to get to work on Gemini! I just ordered an EF mount for it... the standard DSMC1 is still OK on the slightly bigger sensor? No need to order the VV variant of the EF mount? I'm guessing the new brain works with all the same accessories my Scarlet-W and Raven are using now.

Also, not trying to go totally off thread and talk about the camera.. ha ha.. I, for one, was surprised and excited to see the price point for DSMC2 / Gemini. I had been planning to upgrade to Epic and the relatively low price point made it possible – and that for a Weapon body that could some day take a full frame sensor? Yes please! Totally unexpected. Thanks team Red!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Beardsley View Post
    I'm stoked to get to work on Gemini! I just ordered an EF mount for it... the standard DSMC1 is still OK on the slightly bigger sensor? No need to order the VV variant of the EF mount? I'm guessing the new brain works with all the same accessories my Scarlet-W and Raven are using now.

Also, not trying to go totally off thread and talk about the camera.. ha ha.. I, for one, was surprised and excited to see the price point for DSMC2 / Gemini. I had been planning to upgrade to Epic and the relatively low price point made it possible – and that for a Weapon body that could some day take a full frame sensor? Yes please! Totally unexpected. Thanks team Red!
    Your exsisting lens mount/expander should work fine
    WEAPON HELIUM 8K
    SCARLET-W
    LOCAL 600
    BUFFALO, N.Y
    IMDB

www.coderedpicturecompany.com

so now which camera will have the biggest or closest to 35mm size sensor when shooting at 4KHD?
    monstro? gemini? scarlet-w? or raven even?
    Last edited by jordan levy; 05-26-2018 at 07:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jordan levy View Post
    so now which camera will have the biggest or closest to 35mm size sensor when shooting at 4KHD?
    monstro? gemeni? scarlet-w? or raven even?

If shooting R3D, that would be Gemini (biggest pixel of the bunch).

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    We accept that.. but a point many are forgetting that many have brought up is many are making an inaccurate comparison and only using one half the argument. " RED lowered pricing and Sony, Canon and ARRI would never do this to us! Damn you RED! "

When the reality is Arri has done this. They have dropped camera prices buy 40% overnight. Canon dropped their C300 in half. TWICE. Sony has done the same. Let's not forget the F23/F35 debacle.

There is such a big difference though. We actually give a shit. And unlike the above examples, we didn't lower prices because we have a new shiny toy. We lowered prices because I woke up one day and realized our cameras were more expensive than they should be. It strayed from the foundation of why we started this company.

We buckled down and made it work. We shrunk our team and unified our product and joined our camera business with one of the best supply chain companies in the world to help make things cheaper.

Sure.. we could of just shut the fuck up and increased our margins and quietly laughed all the way to the bank like everyone else does... but we didn't. We passed that on to our customers. Because that's why we are here. It's not about the money. And that's the irony, because that's why people are upset.

We have done this many times before. Every single one of you has taken advantage of our dedication to making the best cameras as affordable as possible so the most amount of people no matter how rich they are can have the best tools to make their art without compromise. Even those that bought cameras a week ago paid less than they would of. Because that's how it works. And even if you are not a RED customer... I think it's safe to say we made the rest of the industry change to your benefit.

Its also why we are dealing with you all one by one. Because we don't need to do anything. We really don't. Some of you get it , some of you don't. And we will reward the level of compassion accordingly.
    Love this Jarred. Red absolutely cares. Great business model. Looking forward to the next stages...

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    ...We actually give a shit...
    Ha!
    So that's your moto!
    For all these years that I've been part of the RED client base, it always felt like it was not just about making the best cameras.
    Customer care always came first and foremost!
    And even though I've lost track of the many new camera releases (due to personal tragedies and other stuff) I still love my RED One and it holds a special place in my heart, just as I get repeatedly reminded we all do to you!
    Hopefully soon I will manage to get back to the newest and greatest - which you now made a lot easier. :)

In the meantime, THANK YOU Jarred and Jim and everyone at Red for helping us make great pictures no matter what!
    Formerly known as "nutman"
    ||| RED ONE #1333 ||| Epic-X #1003 |||
    ||| RED Hydrogen Houdini #0034 Titanium #1014 |||
    H4Vuser

Quote Originally Posted by Stefano Ceccon View Post
    Now, who buys half the price of the ex weapon. Do jobs at half price compared to yesterday. Then, since the DSMC2 Helium is cheap, so many buy it or upgrade it. So it increases competition and decreases even more the price of the works.
    So it is not possible for me to compete with this mass. I have a mortgage.
    The only solution for me in Italy is to return to being the only private owner of a top RED range. But too expensive to do it.
    I can not even sell it now. An individual does not amortize 60,000 + more accessories in two years.
    So I will have a drastic decrease of work with my Red.

If you could put a Monstro on my White Red for 5,000 euros I would be happy and work well
    Come on, this is silly. Lets be realistic here.
    Clients, agencies and directors pick you because of your name as a DP and your experiences based on previous jobs. NOT because you own camera X or Y. Usually, production have a budget for camera gears and lights. As a DP you just pick what is within that budget. However, you can always ask for „more expensive gears“ as long as you can justify. Production might raise the budget.
    BUT it is NOT that they will pay double the price because you come on set with a shiny white camera that cost double as much as other cameras. They are not stupid and they don‘t care.

As for newcomers low balling, I care shit about them. And so shall you. They soon realize how stupid they are because there will always be a cheaper guy. It is a bad game really.

Sell your art and talent, not your gear.
    Last edited by Thai Christen; 05-26-2018 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Typo

8.   This is the last RED TEAM post in this thread.   #698  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefano Ceccon View Post
    Here it is NOT angry for the lower prices, happy with this. Red has always done!
    The argument is that they do not help those who invested in Weapon Monstro, update too too expensive.

Epic-w 30.000 upgrade to DSMC2 Helium (ex Weapon 50.000) only 5.000
    Weapon 60.000 upgrade Monstro 54.000 "only" 39.000. For me it is not right.
    This makes me very angry. Do not help private individuals who believe in the high-range Red
    Stefano... the new 39k is the upgrade price is only for DSMC2 unified owners. for existing Helium Weapon owners like you, it is still the old price.

I spend $80,000 USD with my credit card (debt), and from 1 day to another the price devaluated.
    I make 0 dollars from filming and using my Monstro.
    Yes it hurts when I saw the post about the devaluation of my tool be so dramatic, and more because its really hard to make that kind of money. But come on guys, lets point out a few things that I think people don't realize.

- RED is a business and needs to continue, if they find a way to make a better business model 1 week after or 10 years after why blame them in pursuing them!
    - They knew this was going to be mixed feeling with the community.
    - The simple fact that Jarred took the time to write me and a lot of users an email mentioning he was going to work something out means that this guys have a lot of empathy for their clients but also knows the importance. I don't know about any of you, but I have never been reach by the CEO of ARRI, SONY, Cannon, etc for new price adjustment.
    - When they came back they could have told me or give me anything and I would have been happy, because they showed that they cared, and to me that has an immense value. But they where far beyond what I would imagine.

All people here knows cameras are tools, and I hate seen post like "now the dude with 24k can have the same equipment I had for 60". If your only advantage is having more money, all honestly I think you should reconsider the work you do. I hope most of people that work and buy this types of cameras is to share and film things with their own vision of how crazy or cool we see the world, how we get the ideas of our clients and transform it into our own ideas, RED just help us do it better, and all that vision that filmmakers have is where the value is, not with a 80k equipment.

And to be honest, its just a new price, no one knows the future and If I go back I would still have bought the camera because I like where they taking the limits of filming, and I'm 100% sure with this new structure, new stuff will come soon far more innovative now that they are more efficient.
    Instagram: @rv12
    Vimeo: @rv12

I decided to upgrade my Weapon Mg (which I had for 3 months) to Weapon Helium, the first time the program was announced. I got my camera in February 2017.

I ended up paying around 40K EUR, if I add up all my cost since buying my first Epic Dragon in 2015. That was a great deal. Served me well and kept me excited in owning one of the best cameras that was on the market then, and still is now.

I expected a 10K/year devaluation and somehow the used market reflected that. Now I am looking at something that seems another 10K price drop on top of my expectations. I also expected to be able to use this Weapon 10 years from now and don't care about how it depreciates.

First it seemed tough. But looking back, it makes sense. It's not a loss of value overnight. It's just a readjustment that will help RED innovate and keep providing us with the absolute bleeding edge of technology for years to come.

In the past I gained 10K in advance by being able to get a great deal upgrading my cameras. Now it seems like that some other 10K is just "virtually" lost so it can come back in near future in the form of other great deals and options to upgrade.

I know RED will not cease to amaze us both by making exquisite products in the future and by taking care of the great and talented people that chose to stand by this digital cinema system.

*btw - if I was an Epic-W owner I would jump on those upgrades offered in a heart beat