Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: DSMC2. Unified.

Reply to Thread
Page 75 of 83 FirstFirst ... 2565717273747576777879 ... LastLast
Results 741 to 750 of 825
  1. #741  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    240
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Morrison View Post
    They do.

    But I'm saying as an outside observer, every body has 3 buying cycles:.

    First Wave: Early Adopters (full price)

    Second Wave: Product starts to mature (full price)

    Third Wave: Discounted price drop.

    We saw this with DSMC1 Epics. They were $50K and then dropped to $25-30K.

    Now same has happened w/ Weapon.
    that's true, except CF Weapon early adopters are stuck inbetween a rock and hard place. there's no place to go for us, except Monstro and we recieved no discounts unlike stormtrooper owners.
    DSMC2 MONSTRO "GHOST"
    FAA LICENSED DRONE PILOT

    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #742  
    Senior Member Andrew R Lewis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Posts
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kendall View Post
    Problem is that CF Weapon owners got left out in the cold with this one. We are the top-tier group about to be taken over by epic w.. Our only upgrade path is VV which originally just went up in price, I know, after some complaints it has returned back to a cool $30k, but for a very limited time like the McRib.. so now the clock is ticking to upgrade, if I wasn’t lamenting about not buying VV at nab 3yrs ago for $10k, I’ll surely will for not doing it now and wasting an extra $10k.. I remember when I first bought my CF Weapon that VV was promised to our group for $20k.

    Here’s the thread, it’s #1: http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...26#post1494626

    I plan to upgrade to VV later when it came down in price or when I get enough money , but now I feel like I’m being pushed into doing it now or missing the boat.
    With mutual respect and nothing but a sense of community and ownership of Red as a HUGE part of my life and business, I retort;

    1. Upgrades are privilege, not a right. They will always have a shelf life, act accordingly.
    2. With the way the market has gone, the competition, and the tech advances being made, you are going to hold Jarred to a quote from 4+ years ago?
    3. There are DSMC1 folks taking advantage of Jarred's offer to upgrade to DSMC2, now, in the middle of 2018, how many years after the introduction of DSMC1? And as a Weapon owner you are worried about missing the boat? C'mon, I know you are better than that.
    DSMC2 Helium #000043 "Violet”
    Denton Film, LLC
    WWW.DENTONFILM.COM
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #743  
    Senior Member Matthew Quinn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Buffalo, N.Y
    Posts
    2,182
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kendall View Post
    Problem is that CF Weapon owners got left out in the cold with this one. We are the top-tier group about to be taken over by epic w.. Our only upgrade path is VV which originally just went up in price, I know, after some complaints it has returned back to a cool $30k, but for a very limited time like the McRib.. so now the clock is ticking to upgrade, if I wasn’t lamenting about not buying VV at nab 3yrs ago for $10k, I’ll surely will for not doing it now and wasting an extra $10k.. I remember when I first bought my CF Weapon that VV was promised to our group for $20k.

    Here’s the thread, it’s #1: http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...26#post1494626

    I plan to upgrade to VV later when it came down in price or when I get enough money , but now I feel like I’m being pushed into doing it now or missing the boat.
    Here is the Thing.. if THIS upgrade cycle isn’t for you because you already own one of the best Camera RED has to offer.. and the idea of VV, Monstro etc isn’t for you... Just wait for the next one... don’t feel pressure just because SOME people have a good deal in front of them..

    If you are looking for a way to upgrade your current kit and stand out from others, do what I just did.. get some more media and new pro top plate and pro v-mount mod, and a shark fin.

    I’m glad I’m not scrambling to upgrade at the moment
    Last edited by Matthew Quinn; 05-28-2018 at 03:22 PM.
    WEAPON HELIUM 8K
    SCARLET-W
    LOCAL 600
    BUFFALO, N.Y
    IMDB

    www.coderedpicturecompany.com


    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #744  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    240
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Quinn View Post
    Here is the Thing.. if THIS upgrade cycle isn’t for you because you already own one of the best Camera RED has to offer.. and the idea of VV, Monstro etc isn’t for you... Just wait for the next one... don’t feel pressure just because SOME people have a good deal in front of them..

    If you are looking for a way to upgrade your current kit and stand out from others, do what I just did.. get some more media and new pro top plate and pro v-mount mod, and a shark fin.

    I’m glad I’m not scrambling to upgrade at the moment
    Matt, our deal got worst. We went from 30 grand to 40 grand. I’m not one of those that needs to have the best toy in the sandbox.. I love my CF weapon camera to death. I live, eat and breathe Red, ask anyone who knows me. I’m always putting up photos of my rigs on social media.. I drink the Red kool-aide. I want the monstro upgrade. This is for me. I call up a $20k price quote from three years ago to prove how long I’ve been a loyal follower and patient for VV.

    Andrew, you’re an Epic-W owner, I respectfully retort by saying that you are not a CF owner. You have paid whole different set of price points than CF owners. Enjoy your upgrade, I’m happy for you.

    Ironically, none of my clients really care if my camera is Dragon, Helium or Monstro. They just care if it’s a DSMC2 body about how much my price is.. and that says a lot about Red.. in that same vein, they aren’t going double my rental fee if I’m Monstro.. it’s catch 22 upgrading... I wish I knew what the future roadmap is for sensors, I would feel much better about the whole current situation...
    Last edited by Patrick Kendall; 05-28-2018 at 05:43 PM.
    DSMC2 MONSTRO "GHOST"
    FAA LICENSED DRONE PILOT

    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #745  
    Senior Member Josh Becker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    827
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew R Lewis View Post
    With mutual respect and nothing but a sense of community and ownership of Red as a HUGE part of my life and business, I retort;

    1. Upgrades are privilege, not a right. They will always have a shelf life, act accordingly.
    2. With the way the market has gone, the competition, and the tech advances being made, you are going to hold Jarred to a quote from 4+ years ago?
    3. There are DSMC1 folks taking advantage of Jarred's offer to upgrade to DSMC2, now, in the middle of 2018, how many years after the introduction of DSMC1? And as a Weapon owner you are worried about missing the boat? C'mon, I know you are better than that.
    Your point #1 is kind of what rubs me the wrong way when we inevitably see the people ruffled up upon new camera announcements. You were just commending Sean because he pointed out that he *didn't* upgrade his CF Weapon, acknowledgment of this whole "well, you don't have to upgrade" argument that seems to always ignore the pressure/threat of the upgrades having "a shelf life", as you put it. I feel like it's a bit disingenuous to act like there isn't a bit of don't-get-left-out-in-the-cold sales tactic in the upgrade process, when I bet there are a bunch of guys who will tell you they jumped to Epic-W from Epic Dragon for $14.5k because it was their "last chance" (even when many didn't want 8K) only to now have an offer for Gemini.

    In my mind, that's where a lot of this reaction comes from. It's not necessarily the upgrade/cost/etc, it's being told one thing and then experiencing another.
    ---
    Epic-W #001633
    www.joshbecker.net
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #746  
    Senior Member Steve DiMaggio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,297
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kendall View Post
    Problem is that CF Weapon owners got left out in the cold with this one. We are the top-tier group about to be taken over by epic w.. Our only upgrade path is VV which originally just went up in price, I know, after some complaints it has returned back to a cool $30k, but for a very limited time like the McRib.. so now the clock is ticking to upgrade, if I wasn’t lamenting about not buying VV at nab 3yrs ago for $10k, I’ll surely will for not doing it now and wasting an extra $10k.. I remember when I first bought my CF Weapon that VV was promised to our group for $20k.

    Here’s the thread, it’s #1: http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...26#post1494626

    I plan to upgrade to VV later when it came down in price or when I get enough money , but now I feel like I’m being pushed into doing it now or missing the boat.
    sensible reaction

    steve
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #747  
    Senior Member Andrew R Lewis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Denton, TX
    Posts
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Becker View Post
    Your point #1 is kind of what rubs me the wrong way when we inevitably see the people ruffled up upon new camera announcements. You were just commending Sean because he pointed out that he *didn't* upgrade his CF Weapon, acknowledgment of this whole "well, you don't have to upgrade" argument that seems to always ignore the pressure/threat of the upgrades having "a shelf life", as you put it. I feel like it's a bit disingenuous to act like there isn't a bit of don't-get-left-out-in-the-cold sales tactic in the upgrade process, when I bet there are a bunch of guys who will tell you they jumped to Epic-W from Epic Dragon for $14.5k because it was their "last chance" (even when many didn't want 8K) only to now have an offer for Gemini.

    In my mind, that's where a lot of this reaction comes from. It's not necessarily the upgrade/cost/etc, it's being told one thing and then experiencing another.
    I empathize, I do. And I think there is a lot of heart, and merit to what you are saying. But man, my first point is not about upgrading for "x" reason or not upgrading for "y" reason or feelings of pressure or not. It's about owning your shit. It's about looking at the market, looking at your business, looking at your bank account. Then looking at Red, its past, it's trends, and being a grown ass human and making a decision and owning it. Then when things go well because you earned it, got a break, or because you are just good at your job, you enjoy the fruits of your labor. Or conversely, if you experience a downturn for any of the previously mentioned reasons, you own that shit and become a badass problem solver and right the ship. Learn from YOUR decisions and be better.

    I've read many of your posts, Josh, seen how involved you are in the community - sometimes I agree with you, sometimes I don't. But I definitely respect the hell out of you and all the other Redusers who come on here and own their decisions. Only way I know to be great.

    Ok, I think I'm done with all this. Can't wait to see what you all shoot with whatever camera you use.
    DSMC2 Helium #000043 "Violet”
    Denton Film, LLC
    WWW.DENTONFILM.COM
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #748  
    Senior Member DC Chavez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Posts
    499
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Becker View Post
    I bet there are a bunch of guys who will tell you they jumped to Epic-W from Epic Dragon for $14.5k becahuse it was their "last chance" (even when many didn't want 8K) only to now have an offer for Gemini.
    That’s me... I shoot a lot in 4K/120FPS and I held out on upgrading until the last possible day. Gemini is actually the perfect cam for me, but now I have two Epic W’s that have been paid for already with the jobs I’ve done. Maybe I’ll buy a Gemini for the next project :)
    Los Angeles | http://www.dcchavez.com | Komodo ST #117 | Helium 8K S35 #6284 | Helium 8K S35 #4573 | @dcchavez
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #749  
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kendall View Post
    Matt, our deal got worst. We went from 30 grand to 40 grand. I’m not one of those that needs to have the best toy in the sandbox.. I love my CF weapon camera to death. I live, eat and breathe Red, ask anyone who knows me. I’m always putting up photos of my rigs on social media.. I drink the Red kool-aide. I want the monstro upgrade. This is for me. I call up a $20k price quote from three years ago to prove how long I’ve been a loyal follower and patient for VV.

    Andrew, you’re an Epic-W owner, I respectfully retort by saying that you are not a CF owner. You have paid whole different set of price points than CF owners. Enjoy your upgrade, I’m happy for you.

    Ironically, none of my clients really care if my camera is Dragon, Helium or Monstro. They just care if it’s a DSMC2 body about how much my price is.. and that says a lot about Red.. in that same vein, they aren’t going double my rental fee if I’m Monstro.. it’s catch 22 upgrading... I wish I knew what the future roadmap is for sensors, I would feel much better about the whole current situation...

    Sure but you skippped quite afew beats. Not paying the 10k Monstro from CF upgrade, even though Jarred quite clearly stated before that closed that VV / monstro or what ever it was then called would be shit more expansive later. Jumping on that would not only give you a monstro but also a helium while you waited.

    Then you could have upgraded CF to helium, then to monstro.

    and now the offer to upgrade to monstro is not really bad considering that some paid something like 75k USD for such camera. So to me it´s a bit difficult to see how you can look at it as you did not get any options. As I had the same camera and I saw plenty.

    Now, sure we that bought monstro striaght of the bat and paid in advance to a chance. Got it way cheap and early. Those that jumped on these white heliums paid a premium, got camera early but also a half arsed color sience, they get some added love now. But if you bought the CF and just held on to it and did not pick up on the helium or monstro offer that where both quite insanly good. Then why would that camera now this much later be worth so much more than W. You had quite some time for ROI, no?
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #750  
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Posts
    3
    in a sense , stocked to see FF8k for cheap in 2 years or so ( thinking about it , maybe 8k monstro will drop at 25k in 2 years ) i'll make sure to buy one that day haha
    Reply With Quote  
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts