Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: DSMC2. Unified.

Reply to Thread
Page 82 of 83 FirstFirst ... 3272787980818283 LastLast
    Co
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Montville View Post
    Shooting a feature start of August, and was hoping to have the Epic-W Helium -> Gemini upgrade before it. Almost don't want to risk not having the camera back in time if I don't hear about the upgrade soon. :(

Filled out the upgrade request on day 2 of it opening.
    Contact Cine-Sauce - I know they have Gemini in stock and are doing upgrades.
    RED DSMC2 GEMINI #011030

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wahba View Post
    CoContact Cine-Sauce - I know they have Gemini in stock and are doing upgrades.
    Sent a contact us request, and I'll see what they say. Thanks!

I got a broken English reply (typed on a smartphone, so I can see how), but from what I can translate, it seems that RED may be outsourcing some upgrades to CineSause, if we're "selected". They schedule the upgrades when RED tells CineSause that they are ready.

Senior Member David J. Buchanan's Avatar
    RED apparently is having system issues, haven't received my camera in a month... They said they fixed it. I'll see what happens at the end of the week. If mine gets here, you might be alright.
    BLACK - Now on Amazon!
    Corporate G&E Package
    Monstro, Zeiss Otus 28, 55, 85
    davidjbuchanan.com | wecofilms.com

Just an update for those involved in the upgrade process...

6/14 -Dropped off my cameras in Irvine
    06/20- Followed up with the service request on Red.com, giving authorization to bill my card, that I would pick up and to please provide an ETA.
    06/24- I sent another email and followed up with phone call. No one answers at RED HQ- either straight to VM or rings and them VM.
    06/25 Called RSH and explained my situation and that I need my cameras back for a shoot. They put in a support ticket.
    Got an email on the support site, later that day, asking for a credit card authorization form, as my card is no longer linked with system upgrade. Filled out form and sent back 10 min later with request for ETA.
    07/02- still no reply, phone rings and goes to VM. Frustrating.

Basically, if you need your cameras back sooner than 3 weeks (or maybe even more), right now might not be a good time to do the upgrades- based on my experience. Now I have to scramble to find 2 cameras for my shoot on Thursday. Yay...
    Los Angeles | http://www.dcchavez.com | Helium 8K S35 #6284 | Helium 8K S35 #4573 | @dcchavez

It's been a little quiet lately. Any update on Epic-W to Gemini upgrades opening up? When can Epic-w owners expect to upgrade? I received an email from RED that upgrades have not begun.. No answer to when it could start.
    Director of Photograhy
    schmige.net | instagram

Any feedback if the new DSMC2 body will still have the same annoying clock battery issue?

I have mixed feelings about this new turn. Mostly I think it's great that RED has worked out a system to create more clarity with the variety of sensors. I know a lot of people who honestly stopped looking at RED because they were too confused with what was going on with the camera systems. With that said, I purchased my RED Scarlet-W barely a year ago, throwing $25k into a system which is now impossible to market (or sell) due to this change. In order to keep the camera attractive to clients, I now need to spend anywhere from $5k-$12,500 to upgrade it (not clear on what the actual cost is). Honestly, I'm feeling a burned by RED. I've followed RED since before the Epic was released, even attended the REDUser showings of the DSMC 1 bodies right after they bought Renmar. The modularity theory is great, it creates more customizability and REDuces waste... but I'm starting to feel like I wasted my hard earned cash on this system, and am now in a situation where I have to spend more money on this camera, which I love, but now has become a burden.
    Cinematographer | Swallowtailmedia.com | Vimeo.com/DeanMerrill | Portland, Maine

@Dean,
    I am in the same boat but it really isn't a problem. Why didn't my clients ask for a Monstro - they still don't.
    RED has to advance in ways I can't envisage but I still have a bloody good camera!
    I'm sure it will work out for you!

Quote Originally Posted by dean merrill View Post
    I have mixed feelings about this new turn. Mostly I think it's great that RED has worked out a system to create more clarity with the variety of sensors. I know a lot of people who honestly stopped looking at RED because they were too confused with what was going on with the camera systems. With that said, I purchased my RED Scarlet-W barely a year ago, throwing $25k into a system which is now impossible to market (or sell) due to this change. In order to keep the camera attractive to clients, I now need to spend anywhere from $5k-$12,500 to upgrade it (not clear on what the actual cost is). Honestly, I'm feeling a burned by RED. I've followed RED since before the Epic was released, even attended the REDUser showings of the DSMC 1 bodies right after they bought Renmar. The modularity theory is great, it creates more customizability and REDuces waste... but I'm starting to feel like I wasted my hard earned cash on this system, and am now in a situation where I have to spend more money on this camera, which I love, but now has become a burden.

Well be thankful you aren’t like us Weapon owners who saw our cameras go down by $25k overnight.

But, we all still have amazing cameras-all ahead of anything the competition has out there or will to for a while! This price change doesn’t make your camera shoot any better or worse. I myself, don’t see my camera as an investment just another tool in my arsenal. Sure I’m disappointed, wish they would’ve done this when the DSMC2 was released, but this simplification would hopefully get the market/industry back into REDs corner-and open up to hopefully more owner/operators getting these cameras.
    I’m sure when the next upgrade/product(s) come around its us early adopters who will get a stellar deal. They’ve always looked out for us in the past-cant think of any other company who does these upgrades
    Red Weapon Helium
    GL Optics Leica R
    Nikkor
    Looking forward to finally using my Hydrogen with whatever Komodo is...
    PresidentialFilmPhoto.com
    Cinematography & Fashion/Glamour Photography