Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: DSMC2. Unified.

Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 83 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Miro View Post
    This isn't whining and complaining. This is a Devaluation of a product that was held at a high esteem and monetary value. The market didn't decide this price drop. The company did. I personally, am benefiting from this whole thing, but I don't think this was a smart move. Lets be honest. I'm a fan boy, but this is weird. " but they are putting tools in the hands of artists" don't give me that junk. This is a company that has to make money at the end of the day who didn't get a lot of exponential praise from the hydrogen one reveal. Who know's how much $$ was poured into that project.

paying $5k for something that you know costs less is hurting my brain. It's not complaining its dumb. IMO RED must REALLY, and I mean REALLY need that $5k. No one is valuing newly bought equipment a year later as new. I'm talking about a company who DEVALUES their own product. by 50%. That is crazy. everyone is totally getting mind screwed here. You think you're buying a $50,000 Weapon camera for only $5k more if you are a epic-w owner. Truth is you are buying a $24,500 camera for $35,000. I"m sorry, but in the MARKET that RED was in and the BRAND they established as being so HIGH value. They dropped the price of one of their flag ship models by 50%???? are you kidding me? How is nobody seeing this.
    Sorry Rich, but this argument just doesn't make sense. They can afford to cut the price on one hand, but must really need the $5K upgrade fee on the other? Your argument is self-contradicting.

Red will make money at the end of the day because their business just got a lot more efficient. And, because demand is elastic. (Economics 101) The lower-priced cameras are gonna sell like hotcakes.
    David Fuller
    AirStream Pictures
    Auburn & Portland, ME
    www.airstream.pictures
    EPIC-M Dragon #1053

Quote Originally Posted by H Dewey View Post
    I'm one of those with a Monstro for sale or trade, and while this new pricing has taken away potential buyers for my Monstro, I'm not in panic mode. Reason is the Monstro sensor is going to be a $40,000 upgrade when they have the current sensor stock drawn down.

RED has just so many ovens for baking sensors and I think a lot of that capacity was allocated to Monstro. But with the coming camera modules for Hydrogen, I think many of those Monstro sensor ovens will be dedicated to Hydrogen module sensors. When that happens, the Monstro will almost become a specialty order sensor and because the numbers made will be fewer, the price will be higher.

Depending on how I gauge the market, I will likely gradually raise the price of my CF Monstro when current stock is sold. Fortunately, it's paid for and I don't have to sell it... and the more Monstro is used for content, the more desirable it will become.

So while current Monstro owners are undermined by RED at the moment, I feel like it will all shake out in the future. At least that is my take on it.
    I'd be shocked if at any point RED uses the same manufacturing facilities that pump out their camera sensors to start making Hydrogen ones.

Quote Originally Posted by DC Chavez View Post
    Incorrect- Epic Dragon @ 4K HD was a 1.96x magnification.

You're confusing resolution with sensor size. Helium has smaller photo sites than dragon, so it is a smaller sensor at any chosen resolution than Dragon. Shooting 4K HD on helium will always give you the same crop factor. (and has always done so) If you want to shoot 4K HD with less of a crop factor, go to Gemini. It's a bigger sensor.

Look at this chart and it might help: http://phfx.com/tools/redThing_DSMC2...echAndFilm.jpg
    David Fuller
    AirStream Pictures
    Auburn & Portland, ME
    www.airstream.pictures
    EPIC-M Dragon #1053

Quote Originally Posted by Thai Christen View Post
    The only direction price is moving in electronic goods is DOWN, not up.

Or maybe RED could release a limited Monstro Collector Edition with Jim/Jarred signature engraved on the body, à la Leica. Maybe then the value would hold lomger. Otherwise, no way price will go up again. But who knows.

PS: I wouldn‘t put everything on one horse like Hydrogen. It is too early for speculations. My two cents.
    Incorrect. The Alexa Mini price just went up May 1st. 3 years AFTER it's original release.
    RYAN POSTAS
    DSMC 2 MONSTRO VV "RED ZEPPELIN'
    LOS ANGELES, CA

Quote Originally Posted by emil_h View Post
    I'd be shocked if at any point RED uses the same manufacturing facilities that pump out their camera sensors to start making Hydrogen ones.
    According to several reports, a large portion of the camera manufacturing will be made by Foxconn in Shenzhen:

https://techcrunch.com/2018/02/12/fo...er-8k-cameras/

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbrea...ra-partnership

https://petapixel.com/2018/02/17/red...ras-1-3-price/

https://www.thebroadcastbridge.com/c...ke-low-cost-8k

It's a good question as to where the sensor is made. I think it's fair to guess that Foxconn won't be making everything, but I suspect they'll be doing a substantial amount of the work. A lot will depend on the quantities being made, and I don't think that the Red Cameras are what I would call "mass-market" products made in the hundreds of thousands.

But it's not a simple answer. Even Apple's iPhone's parts are said to be made in dozens of different countries and then assembled at Foxconn:

https://www.lifewire.com/where-is-th...e-made-1999503
    marc wielage, csi • colorist/post consultant • daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by D Fuller View Post
    But--the weapon internals will give you faster frae rates at every resolution.
    This is actually incorrect -- the new DSMC2 internals (some are calling them Weapon internals) help get you roughly doubled framerates at 7k & 8k when compared with Epic-W Helium, but for everything below 7k the Epic-W Helium and DSMC2 Helium are identical in framerates. I believe you can achieve lower compression but the sensor will not refresh any faster at those lower resolutions.
    Brendan H. Banks
    Cinematographer
    Local 600 IATSE

Epic-W Helium #796

Quote Originally Posted by Brendan_H_Banks View Post
    This is actually incorrect -- the new DSMC2 internals (some are calling them Weapon internals) help get you roughly doubled framerates at 7k & 8k when compared with Epic-W Helium, but for everything below 7k the Epic-W Helium and DSMC2 Helium are identical in framerates. I believe you can achieve lower compression but the sensor will not refresh any faster at those lower resolutions.
    Yup. You're right about that. My mistake.
    David Fuller
    AirStream Pictures
    Auburn & Portland, ME
    www.airstream.pictures
    EPIC-M Dragon #1053

8.   Click here to go to the next RED TEAM post in this thread.
    Waiting for traffics to die down from Hollywood to Irvine, getting caught up here.

Quote Originally Posted by Yogesh Khubchandani View Post
    I love S-W monochrome, and would like to keep that camera as a Monochrome after upgrade

Brent,
    I know you are super swamped with communication on all channels.
    I pray that you get a window to catch your breath soon.
    And only after you have had some time to relax, could you please clarify upgrade option for S-W Monochrome
    Are you saying you want to get another monochrome but keep your SCARLET-W monochrome? We can probably work out some loyalty discount there. PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tresch View Post
    Is it possbile to upgrade Weapon MG to the unified body AND keep the original Dragon Sensor? What would be the cost (without buying the Gemini/Helium/Monstro sensor)?

Thanks

Pat

PS: I love Dragon's 6k at S35mm, and if you do a S35 Monstro I'll upgrade it immediatly) ;-)
    PS 2: Ok so should I reevaluate my insurance policy for Weapon MG to (19'500 - 6'950) = 12'550 instead of 29'500?
    Well, remember, math does not make sense here. We are telling EPIC-W HELIUM folks to update board sets to DSMC2 HELIUM, it is $4950. I guess this would be the same thing for a WEAPON Mg. You were basically getting GEMINI for another $2000.

If you want to do this, shoot me a PM. Since I doubt there are many of you going down this path, won’t be a formal path on RED.com.

Quote Originally Posted by Abiodun Shote View Post
    Brent, just to clarify, with the current simplification, is sensor swap (GEMINI < > HELIUM < > MONSTRO) a standard part of RED offerings now, or is still going to be time framed as usual?
    No time frame on swapping, that I know of.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Merlen View Post
    Funny you should mention that...I got Jim to sign my scarlet MX years ago...plate wont fit the new body though lol
    You’re welcome : )

I was on the ramen noodle diet in college.

Quote Originally Posted by Thai Christen View Post
    PS: I wouldn‘t put everything on one horse like Hydrogen. It is too early for speculations. My two cents.
    Hydrogen isn't just one horse... its a multi-headed Hydra!

Anyway, too late. That's my 12 Hydrogens worth. :)
    I live on the edge of financial ruin and have ever since the RED One, (And yes, I can still laugh about it.) :)