Thread: Is my Scarlet-W a DSMC2 body???

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Andrei: as of today, they still do list the Scarlet-W as a Dragon, same as Raven is a Dragon: http://www.red.com/products

It's confusing because they list "DSMC2" at the top when it should actually be below the 3 brain names.

Scarlet-W/Raven = Dragon (which work with DSMC2 accessories)

Monstro/Helium/Gemini = DSMC2 Unified (which work with DSMC2 accessories)

Scarlet-W

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei Goaga View Post
    The DSMC2 (Digital Stills & Motion Camera, 2nd gen) is a family of camera body(brain) form factor.

So all the cameras - Scarlet-W, Epic-W, Weapon CF where DSMC2 style cameras. But their internals where different in terms of processing power, hence the old naming scheme.

All these names are now dead/replaced and there is only one camera body called DSMC2 that has the performance of the former Weapon.

Scarlet-W - doesn't exist anymore
    Epic-W - doesn't exist anymore

and the Weapon changed it's name to DSMC2.

Now you can get the same body (now named DSMC2) with the same internals and the same processing power that used to be called Weapon (with Weapon specs) and the 3 types of sensors - Gemini, Helium, Monstro.

And now you have:

DSMC2 - Helium, DSMC2 - Monstro, DSMC2 - Gemini

I keep seeing people say the Scarlet is discontinued or is now gone but RED has not said that at all
    Scarlet-W 9706
    Alexa Mini

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Brian Dada View Post
    Andrei: as of today, they still do list the Scarlet-W as a Dragon, same as Raven is a Dragon: http://www.red.com/products
    Quote Originally Posted by Darius Lyles View Post
    I keep seeing people say the Scarlet is discontinued or is now gone but RED has not said that at all

*Ah, sorry. When I checked I didn't see that page. Just clicked on Products - DSMC2 cameras and saw the only 3 new options. So I thought they stopped selling the Scarlet-W.

But it looks like they did stop selling the Epic-W, right?

Yep, if you go to the Epic product page: http://www.red.com/products/epic

it takes you to the DSMC2 product page automatically.

Epic is gone. Scarlet-W and Raven are both still there- assuming they're just going to be the entry level entrants into the RED DSMC2 accessory world but won't have the flexibility that the DSMC2 brains have.

Hopefully when DSMC3 comes around RED will standardize on naming and features.

Scarlet-W

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Skinner View Post
    I’m considering the new upgrade pricing (to go from Scarlet-W to Gemini) and I saw this note on the upgrade page:

The GEMINI 5K S35 TRADE-IN FOR SCARLET-W RED DRAGON increases your shooting potential and upgrades your SCARLET-W to the RED’s DSMC2 CAMERA BRAIN.

My Scarlet-W takes the new, smaller memory cards, which I thought was the hallmark of the DSMC2 body. Is Scarlet-W not housed in a DSMC2 body? Was there a revision between the old DSMC body, with the huge media, and DSMC2? What kind of purgatory does Scarlet-W live in?

And second question (thanks for your time spent reading this, by the way) is there any chance the “new” DSMC2 body will have a better preamp than the low end preamp on the Scarlet-W? If a true DSMC2 body has better audio handling I cannot give Red my money fast enough.
    "RED’s DSMC2 CAMERA BRAIN" is something new that takes all available sensors, You can swap sensor. your scarlet W in curent state can not do that.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se
    Flame - 3D - Milo MoCo

I understand that the recent changes were done to simplify a convoluted product line, however now we also have DSMC2 Unified, as well as two straggler cameras (Raven & S-W) that are only partially DSMC2 now. It's even more confusing than it used to be.

I understand the intent and respect the approach, however I think it would have made a lot more sense to just live with the existing mess, and wait until DSMC3 to go with a unified body.

Either way, the cameras are amazing. Personally I'm waiting for DSMC3 to upgrade, as I feel Gemini is the future, yet can't justify doubling the price of my camera just to get dual ISO. Hopefully they will have a VV version by then.
    SCARLET-W #54

Red always had an entry level camera called Scarlet. Lesser fps, lesser power. But that worked/works for many of us.
    I hope they'll retain the line. Maybe, when they stop manufacturing Dragon sensors all together, they'll come up with something with the existing sensors.
    Will wait and watch.
    Independent filmmaker. Owner of a production/ post production studio, including creation of DCPs

So, you’re saying if I upgrade to Gemini, all of my current DSMC2 components (V-Mount I/O, LCD, Mini-Mags, etc.) will work? I won’t need to upgrade those too will I?
    #MakeItHappen...#ThatFiilmLife

Ty Hunt
    Director | Cinematographer
    Scarlet-W

www.LightHawk.studio